• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Starter Discussion Thread

Which starter will you be choosing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
    I want to point out something here .Look at this part of interview with the designers
    Spoiler:

SO..There u are..The last evo of mijumaru is based on a sea lion and the sword they are talking about is the horn on it's head..This gives me the impression that it'll have a high attack stat..Maybe as high as blaziken !

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I want to point out something here .Look at this part of interview with the designers
    Spoiler:

SO..There u are..The last evo of mijumaru is based on a sea lion and the sword they are talking about is the horn on it's head..This gives me the impression that it'll have a high attack stat..Maybe as high as blaziken !

Yeah...but that supposed quadrupedal Mijumaru final evo (if confirmed to be 100% real) is going to be the most awkward Pokemon fighter ever...!

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I don't know if anyone can remember/confirm this, but didn't they say that one of the starters would have a unique typing early on?

I really hope they are true and the Fire/Fighting turns out false x__x

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I don't know if anyone can remember/confirm this, but didn't they say that one of the starters would have a unique typing early on?

I don't remember that, but I would have sure liked it to be true. Fire/Fighting at this point is pretty much confirmed, because of the CoroCoro page that involves it and Aloe.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A second type is really just a bonus and adds to the diversity of the Pokemon's moveset/stats. It really isn't that big a deal. Really the starters are supposed to be mainly Fire, Water and Grass types. I mean, nobody ever complains about the fact that for every generation our starters have been the same 3 types.

And inb4: "Yeah but they're supposed to be those 3 types because it always has been". That isn't the point.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. A second type is really just a bonus and adds to the diversity of the Pokemon's moveset/stats. It really isn't that big a deal. Really the starters are supposed to be mainly Fire, Water and Grass types. I mean, nobody ever complains about the fact that for every generation our starters have been the same 3 types.

And inb4: "Yeah but they're supposed to be those 3 types because it always has been". That isn't the point.

Then why can't you understand the other side of the argument?
    THEY are the ones that wanted to implement the "bonus 2nd type".
    If the second type is just a bonus, then why would they limit the bonus to only Fighting, for the Fire starter, 3 years in a row?

When there's 14 other types to give your "bonus" to as well?!

It makes no sense on their part.

Nashton

A Trainer Of Great Skill.
    Years
    im going with water just cuz i never trained a water starter as my first choice.
    RED: charmander
    gold: Cyndquil
    sahppire: trecko
    Peral:trutwig
    so on white: i get the Water one as my first choice.
    dont get me wrong ive played through each game with each starter
    but those where my first choice

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
    Then why can't you understand the other side of the argument?
    THEY are the ones that wanted to implement the "bonus 2nd type".
    If the second type is just a bonus, then why would they limit the bonus to only Fighting, for the Fire starter, 3 years in a row?

When there's 14 other types to give your "bonus" to as well?!

It makes no sense on their part.
    Why should I look at the other side of the argument? There's no need to. I've already told you that secondary typing isn't that big a deal for our starters. Remember in Gen II when none of the starters have secondary types? And that turned out to be the best generation. It's a retarded thing to be 'annoyed' about.

Also, can you really see this Gen's Fire starter with a different secondary type? There isn't another type that associates with it other than Fighting, to be honest. It evolves into a Sumo Pig.

Mujahid

Sir Froakie is impressed.
    Years
    Why should I look at the other side of the argument? There's no need to. I've already told you that secondary typing isn't that big a deal for our starters. Remember in Gen II when none of the starters have secondary types? And that turned out to be the best generation. It's a retarded thing to be 'annoyed' about.

Also, can you really see this Gen's Fire starter with a different secondary type? There isn't another type that associates with it other than Fighting, to be honest. It evolves into a Sumo Pig.

I agree with u there. secondary typing isn't that big a deal to rant about...However, I have gotta say..when i saw pokabu,i thought ANYTHING but Fighting../Dark , /Ground , /Rock(unlikely) were the things that came into my mind..but i never thought it would turn bipedal and take a sumo-ish look

Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2011

No one knew it would evolve into a Sumo Pig(some people still think it's fake), hence why everybody thought that finally the pig would evolve into a boar or something and NOT be a fighter.

How can you not be annoyed by the fact that its been fire-fighting 3 gens in a row? When there is so many more types to choose from, THAT's the one that gets nailed down for the fire starter again?

Idk how you can't see why fans would get mad at this.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I just want to see where the Fire/Fighting inspiration for Pokabu's evo came from. I'm annoyed.

And to those who say a second typing is a "bonus", well since it is, I might as well not, and I won't be, evolve my Tsutarja. T___T

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    No one knew it would evolve into a Sumo Pig(some people still think it's fake), hence why everybody thought that finally the pig would evolve into a boar or something and NOT be a fighter.

How can you not be annoyed by the fact that its been fire-fighting 3 gens in a row? When there is so many more types to choose from, THAT's the one that gets nailed down for the fire starter again?

I agree. I can't see why it's so hard to understand why people would get annoyed with this. And to say that it's a "retarded thing to be annoyed about" is stupid in itself, might as well say that being annoyed in general is "retarded". It's simply annoying because it's the third time in a row we see this combination used, and it's just not interesting on a starter anymore. This whole gen is about being creative on a higher scale than before, and yet they weren't creative enough to think up of another type for the fire starter?

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    Ah, according to someone of Bulbagarden, it's based on the same tale, Journey of the West, that Innfernape was based on. This pig: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zhu_Bajie

Real imaginative GameFreak. "Fresh start"? Really? I know it's hard to think up Pokemon, like aimlessly but they could be more creative. Fire/Steel as in fighting with a sword. It's actually a rake it fights with, that suits /Steel even more.

Last edited:

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years

Because it's a retarded to to be angry about. It really, really is.

I can understand why people might appreciate a different secondary type, but I can't see why Fire/Fighting is such a big deal just because we've had it 3 times in a row.

If it's really getting to you that badly, you need help. It's unhealthy to be getting worked up over such an incredibly minor issue.

I had a feeling that the final Pig evo would stand on two legs and look totally badass, so Fire/Fighting was a possible combination again, as far as I was concerned.

Were you planning on choosing Pokabu as your starter?

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back