• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen What's your opinion of Pokémon Musicals?

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2016
    I hated the look and thought of Musicals when they were first announced, even more so when it turned out that they replaced Pokeathlons (which, in my view, were the first side quests worth doing in any Pokemon game and so represented a significant leap forward). But I decided to reserve my judgement until I knew more about them.

Now, having read the bit on Serebii about them, I can confirm that I have absolutely NO IDEA why they are in the game. The whole thing seems to be based on the accessories you put on your Pokemon, with absolutely no actual participation from the player. I really hope someone can tell me what I'm missing here, but what IS the point? There appears to be absolutely no need to have any skill whatsoever to take part in these Musicals; you can just win by getting the best items off some guy in a city somewhere. At least Contests required skill (a skill I never had, mainly because I never had the patience to have non-battle-ready movesets that would fare well in Contests) and Pokeathlon both required skill and was actually just plain FUN.

In summary (from what I can tell, admittedly having never played Musicals):

Pokeathlon >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Gen III Contests >>>>>>> Gen IV Contests >>>>>>>> Musicals

So yeah. I might end up keeping all my Gen I-IV Pokemon on SoulSilver instead of trading them across to B/W... At least I can play the Pokeathlon with them. Who'd want to dress up a Groudon in a party hat and make him dance on stage?! (Actually, no-one answer that)

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • I have not played the games yet, but I actually do like the look of them. Yeah Pokeathlon was great, better than the impossible to beat pokecontests in Platinum (Fantina and Jasmine were impossible for me to beat :( I wanted to be part of the ribbon society so bad in the Resort). But I think This will be fun, bringing back contest with a twist. I really want to see how it plays out in the anime too. The contest were so different in the anime, and the musicals will need a bit of getting used to in my opinion.

toushiroH95

platinium trainer
    Years
  • Iplayed the musical once and I didnt see the point of it, I mean you dont need to "feed" your pokemon with anything tobe better on them and it doesnt seem to give anything cool to you so.. I dont like them

Ricochet Orange

The one who needed a new forum
    Years
  • Ok, I've played them.

Basically it's funny to watch the sprites jumping around, but I had no idea what was going on. Kinda pointless.

zapdosa

GG
    Years
  • I just ignore it. Wasn't ever really interested with that type of stuff (musicals, contests, etc.) Not saying that it's boring or bad for the game or anything, it's just not for me.

Jerpy

Give me your cookies...!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2010
    I think the Pokemon Musicals are just a little fun. Okay, maybe they shouldn't of had such a propaganda about them but, they are great fun. All in all, I'm waiting to put Zekrom to the test! >w<

Years
  • Yes I come out of the dark to say this.

Pokeathalon was a big set of mini-games, don't care.

Contests were a strategical side-game with some cute features that made people hate on it. w/e, it was awesome for me.
    Musicals are failures and is an epic and insulting disgrace to have 'replaced' contests. Considering this is the 'female draw' like contests and they are this dumbed down, that's a whole new world of insulting.
    You watch them dance.
    Cute. NOT anything to replace.
    I easily thought this would be the appeal round + dancing minigame, THEN I was hoping we got to the move part, but no. You don't even do ANYTHING.

Just- I find no reason for it to be here. Not even a time waster, it's not even THAT cute.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Musicals are so boring I could cry.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of contests. I thought they were annoying (although a little addicting, ffff) in Gen 3. I liked them in Gen 4 because it didn't feel like a battle at all, except that little part at the end. The dress-up and dancing part was really fun for me! I liked the Pokéthlon the best because it was fresh and very interactive. It was pretty much a set of minigames and that was a great addition to the series.

And then there's musicals. Now, maybe because I cbf'd reading the instructions, I do it all wrong, but the whole thing is just bland, boring and pointless! You pick a Pokémon and you can dress it up. If you have a hat, you can only put the hat on the Pokémon's head--it snaps into place. So no more randomly tossing things onto the Pokémon in a (sometimes hilarious) mess like DPPt. There are a bunch of different things to choose, like bowties, normal ties, ribbons, canes, umbrellas, etc. After your Pokémon is sufficiently dressed up, you select your musical and go.

And then you watch the Pokémon dance. And by dance, I mean jump around a bit (sometimes) in time to the music. Or roll. There's lots of rolling. Sometimes you'll get a bit of a "solo" and the spotlight will be on just you and the camera zooms in so the audience (supposedly) is focused on you. At any time (but I assume preferably during solos), you can do an "appeal", I think, which is basically when you just wave your cane or whatever you're holding to be cute. I didn't get the option the first time I did a contest with my Shimama not holding anything but I got it last night when I was showing my roommate how it worked and I'd given my Banipucchi an item. :/ But that's literally the only interactivity you get. Maybe later on you unlock more functionality but I'm kind of doubting it.

At the end, from what I could tell (I wasn't impressed enough to sit and actually translate every line), the curator/director/whatever comes and tells you what your Pokémon was. Pretty sure it's out of the basic cool/cute/beauty/smart/tough. I'm not sure if that's based on performance (doubtful, since you can't DO anything to change the performance) or how you dressed it up (likely).

It's just... why did they even bother with this? They seem to make it into a big thing--even putting a big cutscene near it--and when you go in it's just the most pointless waste of time. Very disappointing, considering I was expecting some sort of rhythm game when I went in. The first time I watched it, I'll admit, I though it was kind of cute. But the novelty wore off after the first thirty seconds and was filled only with regret. :(

The Red Chain

I tried Musicals for the first time last night, and as with most others, I expected much more interaction than just the "appeals" we get to initiate. It was mainly just watching, and stepping in once or twice, depending on the items your Pokemon was given to hold. Not the most hands-on side game ever, but still retains it's cuteness to me. Despite the lack of interaction, I rather enjoyed the musicals myself. It was bar entertaining cheesing up your Pokemon in little outfits, and having them dance a little for the crowd, appealing every now and then. The main thing I like about musicals is the outfits. I find them to be so cute and so hilarious if you put them on your Pokemon correctly.. and I enjoy the snapping in place more than the randomly placed items for contests.

The Musicals are obviously a gimmick to show off the new full-body animation that they put into the games, and the advancement in props moving along with the Pokemon ; unlike contests. It's silly at best, but I'm still gonna continue to mess around with them for a while.
    I hope in the future they implement contests to have the props move and have actual movements with the Pokemon in the dance sequence, just like how they do in Musicals.

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Well, Musicals aren't really that bad when you think about it. There are still parts I dislike though.

I LOVE the first part. Because it actually snaps the accessories into place now, this part actually doesn't come out in a mess (for me at least) AND fitting the accessories on the right/intended spot isn't much of a pain anymore (emphasis on this part - you even had a time limit for that before), like the predecessor - Super Contests. It's fun to see your Pokemon wear elegant/cute/whatever clothes, too.

However, I really don't appreciate the perform round. You were only allowed to interfere by touching the 'appeal' button, and that's the only role you are assigned to. I hoped that you were able to affect the Pokemon by making it jump at the right time, but obviously we don't get that feature.

And I'm kinda disappointed that you don't really get a prize out of it. Sure, it's not all about winning, but that prize would actually attract people to come back for more. That and I really want to get something for my performance out there.

All in all it is a nice minigame, but it really needs improvement.

Boarbeque

Deep Voiced Nerd
    Years
  • I hate it:
    - too girly
    - too little control over your pokemon

It is not nearly as good as what I hoped. I am really angry about it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2010
    I tried one and it was a complete and utter waste of my time. I hate the Musicals.

Naito

Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2013
    Musicals in-game are bland and uninteresting. It doesn't help that the entire concept was a feature basically copy and pasted from the DPPt contests which were nearly universally hated in the first place. I understand that it's meant to be a minigame (if you can even call it that) intended to show off a few features and nothing more, but there's much to be desired.

Here's hoping the Pokeathlon or an interesting form of contests returns in the inevitable third version of 5th gen.

Back