• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Voyage [T]

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
Years
  • I've had my eyes on this RP for a little while, but I'm just not sure if I should write up an SU and try to join or not... I suppose I'm worried wether how fast replies will be, and for how long this RP will be going.

You mentioned a 'short burst of energy' as the catch for it, but what does that mean? A month worth of RP, or more? Less? And how limited are we in regards to the powers we can pick?

Oh, and I was thinking, if I -was- going to make a character, I'd make one that could teleport and possibly have another ability (That wouldn't give him a gigantic edge, but teleporting in itself doesn't do all that much), such as... invisbility. But I'm not sure what exactly we'd encounter, so... what do you think? Teleportation + something else, or just teleport?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    @ Stingray

Not expecting people to post all the time. Once every one or two days ought to be sufficient!

@ THAT WONDERFUL PIXY GUY!

Looks great! Accepted.

@ KoboraX

Your power is interesting, but the flame thing might be treading a bit too far into TWPG's character's territory. Mind changing it up a little?

Also, please remember that you're not choosing your clothes. Every character begins wearing the same wetsuit.

Pending for now.

@ Sir Bastian

It's not so much about how fast I'm expecting everyone to post...the story itself is just rather short. The whole thing takes place in just under three in-game days or so.

As for powers, consider yourself limited only by your imagination. Granted, I'll take care to point out an ability I think is overpowered! Teleportation is tricky, I think. You can do a lot with spatial manipulation of that nature. I'd probably have to cut it off there.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • I -was- thinking about him being able to teleport objects that isn't in contact with him a short distance, greater if he touches it and teleports with it. Would that work out?

And while you answer this, I'll get to work on my SU!

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    You ask a funny question, because the idea of teleportation always comes with some baggage. If we can teleport what we touch along with our own body, then what's to stop us from touching the planet and teleporting that elsewhere? We have to invoke some sort of "within reason" rule, but then that always feels arbitrary. It's silly to say "I can teleport this thing, but not this thing", right?

In my experience, the best way to deal with this is to impose the "the bigger/more complicated the object, the harder it is to teleport through space" idea. So, for instance, teleportation of the planet is conceivable, but attempts to do so are fruitless because it requires an insane amount of power and concentration. By the same token, I'd imagine that you'd have to concentrate much harder to teleport yourself holding a foreign object than just to teleport yourself.

Of course, this is exactly the sort of thing that I imagine could be trained.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Hrmh, you make a really good point, and it seems like a perfect 'Ball and chain' if you get what I mean :P So I'll be sure to keep that in mind.

Regarding the writing sample though... I never was good with coming up with something completely random to write about, and doing so here feels sort of... I don't know, it wouldn't show me from my best side. Should I give it a shot anyway, or would you be satisfied with looking through a couple of the posts I've made on the forum so far?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    You can totally use a post you've done in the past. I didn't mean to make it sound like you had to come up with something from scratch!

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Oh no, I know that! It's just that I haven't been RP'ing on this forum for too long, and I haven't made any 'omgwtf That's an awesome post' posts yet... although I suppose I do have one I could use. I'll give it some thought while I write this out, hopefully my SU will be up by tomorrow :) Thanks again!

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
  • Edited. I had to mix it up to change it to various elements instead of being limited to just fire. I planned to add more, but I thought it would be a bit overkill...well, in my opinion.

Sir Bastian

Christina - Crossroads
    Years
  • Well, I'm not sure what kind of universe this is in, but that'd be pretty cool. Could easily be a world where anthros live in as well as humans, but there's not alot of them, and they usually keep away from humans.

And here goes my SU! Hope it please the almighty 8-bit dog-god.

Name
    Marcus Vale

Talent
    Marcus has the ability to teleport, which isn't limited to just himself, but also to objects and other people. The so-called 'Catch' being that the further and the more objects he teleports, the more energy and concentration is needed.

Appearance
    Standing at slightly taller than the average male though not by a lot, he looks like a fairly normal man around the twenties. He doesn't look muscly, but it's very clear that he does at least do a little exercise, making him look more agile than strong. He has dark blue eyes, short, tussled reddishly brown hair, and a small patch of beard on his chin, a 'soul patch'. He has a slightly long face, but with a generally cheerful expression on it, usually.

Personality
    Marcus has a very spirited and adventurous personality, always looking to experience something new, trying to have a very positive outlook of things, though due to some things in his past, this has become gradually harder for him lately. If something goes wrong, he will try his hardest to solve it while directly avoiding blaming anyone, even if it's blatantly obvious that someone holds the blame for the situation. He tries his best to keep his spirits up, and stay positive, but if he's pushed too much, he can 'break down' and become quite negative.

Biography
    Growing up in the sub-urbs of a big city, Marcus was raised in a fairly average way. Living where he did, his family didn't have that much money to spend, meaning that he had to take a part-time job when he became old enough for it. This however, meant that he could pay for some martial arts lessons that he had always wanted to try out.
    Marcus had always been adventurous by heart, and growing up in the sub-urbs gave him plenty of opportunities to go exploring, crawling up onto the roofs of the smaller houses, running through the alleys and exploring the area.
    While growing up, his dream in life would be to become an explorer of sorts, a traveler or a hiker. Anything that would allow him to travel across the world, seeing new and exciting things. This dream however, slowly started fading as he grew up, realism hitting him quite hard, as he had to finish his education, college as well, and then get a job to be able to even afford to live.
    Now, living in his own tiny apartment, he works at a supermarket for a minimum wage, the dream of becoming an explorer having faded, the money he makes not even reaching far enough for him to continue his martial arts classes, which he hasn't gone to in several years now.

The only thing that keeps him going is a small box at the back of his closet, where he saves up the excess money he makes, to one day be able to travel across the world. He also keeps himself busy from becoming weighed down by reality, by having a nice, long run every morning for about an hour's time.

Writing sample
    And here's my writing sample. It's taken from in the middle of a scene where a Raichu (Axel) fights a Typhlosion (Alistair) in an abandoned power plant, to try and protect his friend, an Emolga. The context is a bit weird for someone who doesn't follow the RP, but this is my best post on the forum so far, I feel.

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    @ Sir Bastian: Accepted! Looks good.

@ zapdos926: Really sorry, but that doesn't exactly fit in with the roleplay's overarching universe. It could work, technically speaking, but I feel like it might just busy the aesthetic.

@ KoboraX: I really appreciate that you put thought into your ability's uniqueness! Still, I can't shake the feeling that it's a little outlandish and gimmicky. Typically you'll be safer coming from a scientific perspective than a fantastical one, but it is good to mix the two. I understand that I didn't expressly warn you against this sort of thing to begin with, but could you try to change your approach to the power altogether?

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    I'm closing sign-ups at this point! KoboraX and zapdos926--both of you still have time to fix up/complete your characters. I'm just cutting off anyone new from expressing interest. Unfortunately, given the nature of the story, it won't be possible for anyone to join mid-way through.

zapdos926

I'm secretly a typhlosion, shh
    Years
  • Okay, I was just thinking that that would affect the appearance of my character, not his abilities. Whatever, here's my SU. I have a pre-made anthro character I'd like to use, but if I've gotta make one up, I will.

Name
    Nomti Shystell

Talent
    Can alter gravity through electro magnetic force.

Appearance: gonna have my appearance
    Very tall, standing at about 6' 1/2" with short, dirty blonde hair and blue eyes. He has some acne on his forehead and is moderately built. He has pale skin and very large hands.

Personality (sorry, I did this in list form)
    Kind
    Gentle
    Not a fighter
    Would rather not have to do any work
    Is a gamer
    poor sense of humor
    tolerant

Biography (Honestly, i'm not very creative when it comes to a normal persons biography)
    Nomti was born and raised in Kentucky. He has no accent but like any country boy, knows how to fix things. He Wen through all school like a normal student. Closer to the bottom of the barrel than the cream of the crop his whole school career when it came to popularity, Nomti had enough friends to get by but would never make it very high in the popularity chain.

Writing Sample
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    Before I pass judgment, can you please explain what you mean by the alteration of gravity?

zapdos926

Years
  • Weaken or strengthen the pull the Earth in that area at will (once he gets it under control of course) by amplifying/reducing the electromagnetic field around him.

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2012
    I can't claim to have any more than an elementary grasp of physics, but it's my understanding that neither force is causally linked to the other. They act independently of each other but they are similar kinds of forces! But this is just food for thought! I know what you mean.

I'm gonna warn you the same way I did Sir Bastian--this power has the potential to be seriously crazy. So please moderate it reasonably! I'll let you know if I think it gets out of hand.

Anyways: you're accepted.

zapdos926

Years
  • Thanks, don't worry, I wont take it over board :)
    That was almost a pun, since everyone's on a ship XD

I'm assuming the IC thread isn't out yet?

Back