• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emo/Scene

Chiere

Banned
Years
  • This whole thread has been an eye-opener to me because so far the only picture I ever had of emo was girls who were into dark clothes and self-injury. I never realised that it was actually a styl or culture statement.

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    There's a difference between emo and scene!!

Emo is NOT the type of people who dress in all black clothes and self injure. That is the biggest misconception of emo ever, but unfortunately that's just now how it is. Also if someone dresses in all black clothes or self injures it doesn't mean that they're a scenester either.

Emo is NOT stereotypical GOTH or SCENE. Goth/scene does not equate to emo!!!

Years
  • Emo is NOT stereotypical GOTH or SCENE. Goth/scene does not equate to emo!!!
    But no, it does. Emos are goths. They are also hipsters. And punks. And beatniks. Basically they are whatever is new and young and alternative and confusing to older people. They are just different flavors of it because each new generation needs something to differentiate themselves from the previous generation.

Only half joking though. There's always going to be a "No True Scotsman" element to subcultures because one of the reasons for a subculture to exist is to be different from the mainstream culture. That makes it kind of hard to define what "counts."

But yeah, I got no problem with people wanting to be different with their appearance and music and whatever. I did that in high school. The more people object to it the more you want to do it. I guess in that sense I think it has some negative aspects since people should just do what they want to do without caring what other people think.

Years
  • For me, "emo" has always been a self-labeled culture that stems from the moderately entitled, middle to upper-middle class, white, 11 - 14 year olds who don't have anything reasonable to complain about and yet find time to extract sympathy from everyone else because of their self-destructive habits.
    Their was a big emo scene in my high school and all of these kids came from a loving family with fair amounts of money, weren't spoilt, and had a wide group of friends. Who they then went on to exclude for not falsely claiming depression and anti-social disorders.

Basically in my community at least, the emo scene was a cry for attention. They were bored so they drastically changed themselves to achieve a sense of drama.
    Same with the goth and scene movements, only without the self inflicted anti-social disorders.
    Punk was different entirely, it was literally about breaking things because the music made you mad at the government or whomever you wanted to be angry at.

I've experienced this first hand, emo is a fashion statement of the mind. And it is not in season guys.
    I'm not saying I have a problem with people who genuinely do have social anxiety and/or depression, I have a problem with those who do it to themselves because they have nothing better to do.
    Now that I'm out of High school, anyone I knew in those groups is either back to how they were before then, or is into drugs, teenage pregnancies, and generally being ♥♥♥♥ for the sake of it. None of them have a real social disorder and I would thank them to stop acting like they do.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Not to mention it supports Hot Topic, aka the place were cool things go to die.
    I have no problem with either, really. The roots of emo and what people classify emo today are very different, as people have already mentioned. Neither really is in anyway problematic; they just aren't my thing. As for scene, I think the fad is interesting, and if I'm totally honest, I always thought scene girls were kawaii as hell lol.

I'm just sad that Hot Topic has such a negative rep cause of it's association to the scene fad... all my pants are from there :x

Last edited:

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I always saw emo as two things. There's the musical genre "emo" or "emocore" which derives hardcore punk from the 80s. Then there's the fashion subculture "emo" that's unfortunately associated with the genre with teenagers who wear tight-fitting shirts and tight-fitting jeans and dye their hair black. That is stereotype imo, but it's what's considered by most society as "emo fashion". Today it's sadly become known only as that fashion trend/subculture.. As much as I love bands like Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romance , I know they aren't emo, they're just good alternative rock. Alternative is a big umbrella term though so it's hard to define what's all alternative. There's umbrella terms for everything in music. The term "indie" for example, is a subgenre of alternative music that draws influences mostly from psychedelia and post-punk, and a term for an form of independent media which includes independent music artist/labels.

As for scene, while it's usually similar to the stereotype "emo fashion" , it's different. I had a time of my life where I attempted to be scene cause it was the cool thing to do. I'd look up "how to be scene" online and thought that because I followed their guidelines, I was scene. I bleached my hair and did th
    Blondescenehairstyle.jpg.html
    and thought I was scene. Now I realize I was not, and I'm completely embarrassed when I look back on that phase lol. Subcultures are always going to have an influence on people though. Now hipsters are the popular subculture and everyone's copying it. ( Personally I hate to denote myself as hipster because they're pretentious and annoying, but I do like/have the stereotypical hipster hairstyle.)

I really don't mind if people want to be emo/scene or whatever trend is popular. People should just enjoy whatever they want and make their own choices. Though emo fashion has died down lately , which is probably fortunate according to some people.

(Hot Topic shouldn't be associated with that subculture imo cause they're a pop culture and music store, but unfortunately they are. I just got an Adventure Time shirt and a few band shirts from them, none of them "emo" bands haha. Emo/goth/scene was just a part of pop-culture at one time so they sold that stuff.)

Last edited:
    Back