• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: General Pokémon Trading Card Game Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I haven't really played TCGs other than pokemon. It's just what I grew up with, and the only TCG that was played at my school (not that any of us actually played properly). I was one of those completely obsessed kids from the time I was 8 until I was about 13. I had about three official handbooks that I read cover to cover multiple times, I could recognize and name every pokemon in existence at the time (I think we were at gen 2, maybe just getting into gen 3) just from its silhouette (or draw any pokemon from memory if you gave me a name) and give you its type, weaknesses, several attacks, and what it was strong against. I didn't have enough cards to play the TCG properly, but I knew the entire official rulebook of the time off by heart. I didn't have the video games, but I knew all the gym leaders, what pokemon they used, the routes, the locations of most pokemon, and whether they evolved by levelling up, trading, or stones.

Of course, I eventually lost interest and forgot nearly all of it, but there's still enough "residual memories" left there that playing the video games for the first time (and eventually picking up the TCG again) was no problem, but learning an entirely new game seems daunting. And since none of the other TCGs seem to have decent free to play versions online, I haven't really gone for them (I don't have any place nearby to play, and can't afford cards even if I did).

And, as with donovannj, the general vibe I've always gotten from the little bit of interaction I've had with the YGO community has been one of snobbery and not particularly welcoming of new players, so that kind of puts me off as well.

Last edited:

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I remember the first time I ever tried Pokemon TCG. I had to borrow a friends' deck because I didn't own my own, and every time someone made a move, I'd have to ask about what they did, what to do, etc. I was an utter noob at it, and because I was so bad at it, I didn't have intentions to return. Now that a friend from school mentioned an online version of Pokemon's TCG, I feel like I should try again.

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • I run a reviled Plasma Steel deck as of now. Hundreds of people tell me it's not even Tier 3. So, Please read this! I just beat a VirGen deck at it's best. It was an exciting game. She started with a Virizion and Pikachu. I had Klink as my first so I N'd myself. Put a Riolu in play. She attached an Energy and got 2 Genesects and one more Pikachu rolling. I got a Cobalion EX. Heavy Ball and Skyla me ready to Smash Turn then set up the lock. She attached another energy and got 2 Genesects powered up in two turns. I got a Cobalion set up, (but she kept putting me to sleep with Munna) another Klink and evolved into a lucario. I got one Steel bullet in but she powered up a Pikachu. She then Skyarrowed and Red Signaled my Klinklang and G-Boostered it. I sent the Cobalion and was powering up my lucario. She G-Boostered the Cobalion too, using Colress Machine and Grass Energy. I got another Klinklang set up and Lucariod the Genesect with 2 energy and Full health using Lysandre and Muscle Band. She got a Roselia set up on the bench and put my lucario to sleep as i powered up another on my Bench. She then evolved to a Roserade, searched for a Shadow Triad, got the G-Booster back and KO'd me. but my second Lucario was ready in my turn and i got the KO. She then realized sent a Raichu with DCE to hit for 40. I skylad for a switch and righteous edged it for 30 and then she told me she had no grass energy left in her deck as she put a Genesect on the bench. She Junipered and got a DCE and put another Virizion to hit me for 80. I righteous edged again. She Junipered again. And got another DCE. I Junipered to finish the Raichu with a Muscle band. She sent up a Genesect, i retreated to Lucario to win. They had an ideal start!! And i still managed to win. Come on, that means something.

Years
  • I run a reviled Plasma Steel deck as of now. Hundreds of people tell me it's not even Tier 3. So, Please read this! I just beat a VirGen deck at it's best. It was an exciting game. She started with a Virizion and Pikachu. I had Klink as my first so I N'd myself. Put a Riolu in play. She attached an Energy and got 2 Genesects and one more Pikachu rolling. I got a Cobalion EX. Heavy Ball and Skyla me ready to Smash Turn then set up the lock. She attached another energy and got 2 Genesects powered up in two turns. I got a Cobalion set up, (but she kept putting me to sleep with Munna) another Klink and evolved into a lucario. I got one Steel bullet in but she powered up a Pikachu. She then Skyarrowed and Red Signaled my Klinklang and G-Boostered it. I sent the Cobalion and was powering up my lucario. She G-Boostered the Cobalion too, using Colress Machine and Grass Energy. I got another Klinklang set up and Lucariod the Genesect with 2 energy and Full health using Lysandre and Muscle Band. She got a Roselia set up on the bench and put my lucario to sleep as i powered up another on my Bench. She then evolved to a Roserade, searched for a Shadow Triad, got the G-Booster back and KO'd me. but my second Lucario was ready in my turn and i got the KO. She then realized sent a Raichu with DCE to hit for 40. I skylad for a switch and righteous edged it for 30 and then she told me she had no grass energy left in her deck as she put a Genesect on the bench. She Junipered and got a DCE and put another Virizion to hit me for 80. I righteous edged again. She Junipered again. And got another DCE. I Junipered to finish the Raichu with a Muscle band. She sent up a Genesect, i retreated to Lucario to win. They had an ideal start!! And i still managed to win. Come on, that means something.

I'm not sure that I'd consider that deck you defeated a proper VirGen deck, given it's use of Raichu, and neither Raichu that are legal in the format mesh well at all with either Virizion or Genesect. It means something to have won, given that it sounds like you had quite the match, but nothing about your opponent's deck strikes me as the VirGen deck people mean when they say your deck will struggle against it. The Klinklang deck lost its place as a viable fringe deck at tournaments when Flashfire was released.

Anyway, I'm looking for format ideas for our first TCGO tournament, guys! Should we limit the decks you can use to just the default ones the game gives you?

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • I'm not sure that I'd consider that deck you defeated a proper VirGen deck, given it's use of Raichu, and neither Raichu that are legal in the format mesh well at all with either Virizion or Genesect. It means something to have won, given that it sounds like you had quite the match, but nothing about your opponent's deck strikes me as the VirGen deck people mean when they say your deck will struggle against it. The Klinklang deck lost its place as a viable fringe deck at tournaments when Flashfire was released.

Anyway, I'm looking for format ideas for our first TCGO tournament, guys! Should we limit the decks you can use to just the default ones the game gives you?

Actually, the Phillipines nats VirGen deck used Raichu as a counter to Yveltal and it won the championship about 2 months ago. Since then, I havent faced one single VirGen deck that doesnt have Raichu. The standard VirGen decklist has Raichu as a must. VirGen definitely means the deck i faced, ma'am. Well, I for one am going to use this Fringe deck as long as i can :p !! It is fun!! I really have to give my best to win! Also, Theme decks would be fine but Swiss format should be used then. Since theme deck matches depend much more on luck.

Years
  • Actually, the Phillipines nats VirGen deck used Raichu as a counter to Yveltal and it won the championship about 2 months ago. Since then, I havent faced one single VirGen deck that doesnt have Raichu. The standard VirGen decklist has Raichu as a must. VirGen definitely means the deck i faced, ma'am. Well, I for one am going to use this Fringe deck as long as i can :p !! It is fun!! I really have to give my best to win! Also, Theme decks would be fine but Swiss format should be used then. Since theme deck matches depend much more on luck.

I was not aware of that, though results in the Philippines tend to not affect what USA players run. European tournaments tend to impact our formats more, as well as results at any USA or Canada tournament.

I was thinking Swiss as the opening round, myself, just to setup knockout stage seeding.

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • I was not aware of that, though results in the Philippines tend to not affect what USA players run. European tournaments tend to impact our formats more, as well as results at any USA or Canada tournament.

I was thinking Swiss as the opening round, myself, just to setup knockout stage seeding.

In a way theme decks will also be very unbalanced. If we use only the default 5 decks then the three basic ones will have an advantage to one and a disadvantage to another to another. I recommend a Non-EX format. That is much more fairer. We could set HP limits and all.

Years
  • True. It is a conundrum :(

Since those with smaller collections are more likely to be seeking codes, I'm inclined to at least have the first tournament be limited to the default decks. I fully intend to alternate between default deck only and the "All of Modified" format for future tournaments, maybe phasing in a third type depending on if the Black & White on format is available in the TCGO as well after August.

Anyway, I'll try to get a thread up for certain tomorrow evening for this first tournament.

We'll need donations of code cards to a prize pool, most likely.

RandomHype

Explosive Explosion
    Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2015
    There's tournament testing 7/9 at 7 pm EDT :D

Also, with furious fists, will fighting type become more overpowered?
    I can see someone try to get a cradily to get 4 machamps on the bench and have a power grid set up...

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • Well, they certainly get a lot of support. Landorus EX is getting a HUGE surge in price for example. Lucario and Mega Lucario EXs are some of the most powerful cards EVER!! And Korrina will help the Stage 2's set up quickly. The cards keep getting so strong!!!

Years
  • There's tournament testing 7/9 at 7 pm EDT :D

I should participate in that... though things to do and stuff. :(

Well, they certainly get a lot of support. Landorus EX is getting a HUGE surge in price for example. Lucario and Mega Lucario EXs are some of the most powerful cards EVER!! And Korrina will help the Stage 2's set up quickly. The cards keep getting so strong!!!

I'm just hoping the power creep doesn't get too ridiculous. Might turn people off of the game.

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • I should participate in that... though things to do and stuff. :(

I'm just hoping the power creep doesn't get too ridiculous. Might turn people off of the game.

It's scaring me. XD If the tourneys dont give free FRF packs, then i am a goner!! I have saved up like 2000 tokens, but that will get me 100 cards at least!
    Also, Marsyas, TYVM. I went into Unlimited today and was much easier, only lost thrice till now!!

shaswatdgr8pokefan

elite trainer
    Years
  • Well, I feel it's a bit too much for a player like me. Anyways, opened my 30 packs from today's tourneys. Got a Lysandre FA, M Charizard SR Dragon, Pkmn Center Lady FA, 2 Kangaskhan EXs, Delphox. Not bad, i guess. I wanted a CB Charizard tho!

Braxien

Banned
    Years
  • Can someone explain to me - in a tone which a dumb idiot would understand - the concept of TCG? I used to collect packets and packets of Pokémon Cards as a kid, until my sister spilled a 2L bottle of Pepsi all over them ... Ever since then, I've never approached them. Seeing as I have joined a Pokémon player and started to play it more religiously, I think it would be suitable if I were to learn about things which branch off of the franchise.

Years
  • Well, I feel it's a bit too much for a player like me. Anyways, opened my 30 packs from today's tourneys. Got a Lysandre FA, M Charizard SR Dragon, Pkmn Center Lady FA, 2 Kangaskhan EXs, Delphox. Not bad, i guess. I wanted a CB Charizard tho!

A lot of players don't have oodles of cash to spend on the game. Honestly, I don't really have the luxury, either. At least if I want to keep sane, anyway. TCG expenses are a very small portion of my limited disposable income.

Can someone explain to me - in a tone which a dumb idiot would understand - the concept of TCG? I used to collect packets and packets of Pokémon Cards as a kid, until my sister spilled a 2L bottle of Pepsi all over them ... Ever since then, I've never approached them. Seeing as I have joined a Pokémon player and started to play it more religiously, I think it would be suitable if I were to learn about things which branch off of the franchise.

Basically, it's a game where the individual game pieces are collectible (the cards are game pieces) and new collections of pieces are released periodically, sometimes accompanied by changes to the rules of the game. Each individual game piece can be used to form a deck, though you cannot have more than 4 of an individual game piece (or of unique game pieces that share a name) in a deck, with the exception of cards that specify how many copies of that card or of that type of card can be in your deck.

This help any?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back