• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Badge data

Years
Hey, can anyone tell me how to find where/how to edit the badge data in fire red?
I have a feeling this would be ASM stuff which I know nothing about, but i would like to know how to change the names of the badges, which HMs they allow, obedience levels, and their images, and maybe their order on the trainer card. Thanks!

Uncommon

Oozma Kappa
Years
Hey, can anyone tell me how to find where/how to edit the badge data in fire red?
I have a feeling this would be ASM stuff which I know nothing about, but i would like to know how to change the names of the badges, which HMs they allow, obedience levels, and their images, and maybe their order on the trainer card. Thanks!

I've been interested in finding this out for a while as well. I have compiled some research on HMs being allowed by badges in this post. Also, if you're interested in using a slightly different system, my type-check patch (in my signature) allows you to set the badge requirement for each HM to any flag you want.

I believe the badge names are simply text - badges don't have a static name in the game, just what NPC's call them (correct me if I'm wrong here).

This post has a routine to make them appear on the Trainer Card in a different order.

Badge images themselves are at 0x3CD5E8, 16 color palette at 0x3CD2C0.

If anyone has any more information, please share! I'm particularly interested in ways to load other size images or separate palettes.

Years
Well that's a lot of good information, thanks!
Yeah, I wasn't sure about their names either, I thought they were static somewhere but I must be wrong. I'll check out all your posts and everything

Blah

Free supporter
Years
I've been interested in finding this out for a while as well.

If anyone has any more information, please share! I'm particularly interested in ways to load other size images or separate palettes.

I did this, I don't think I posted it in my usual places because I didn't think anyone really cared. It'd require a very small of the calculating code or re-ordering a table. I recommend reworking the code, since if you were going to have more badge-triggered HMs, there is a limiter. Anyways, what I'm talking about is here:

Code:
ROM:0812461C
	CMP     R4, #6
	BHI     loc_8124658	@ continue execution
	MOVS    R1, #0x820      @btw game code is not 1:1 here. It'd use lsl and add 
	ADDS    R0, R4, R1
	BL      flag_check

So at this point, R4 contains an index in the table at 0x845A788. Here is the table according to knizz's IDB:
Code:
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_flash+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_cut+1, 7>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_fly+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_strength+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_surf+1, 8>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_rocksmash+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_waterfall+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_teleport+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_dig+1, 0xD>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_dive_probably+1, 0x10>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_dive_probably+1, 0x10>
ROM:0845A788                 borg <hm_prepare_sweet_scent+1, 0xD>
Note that the two entries:
ROM:0845A788 borg <hm_prepare_dive_probably+1, 0x10>
ROM:0845A788 borg <hm_prepare_dive_probably+1, 0x10>

are inaccurate. That's actually milk drink and softboiled. Fire Red doesn't have dive readily implemented, afaik. So going back to that small piece of code, it's clearly checking if the table entry it's looking at is inbetween flash's entry (entry 0) and waterfall's entry (entry 6) inclusive. If it is, then it'd check flag (0x820 + entry) to see if you had the "badge" to use the HM via the menu.

Either rework this part, or edit the table & change "CMP R4, #6" to another number. More documentation about the BRM menu and such are available in an ASM resource thread post I made about field moves. Hope this helps.

Back