• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Have you ever used, or been the victim of, the FEAR strategy?

Pokemon Showdown with friends. -.-

How many times did Youngster Joey call you?

IDK, but I remember always calling me of his stupid Rattata.

Do you find Rattata to be particularly annoying when compared to other common early game Normal-type Pokemon?

Nope, Pidgey for me tbh.

pkmin3033

485 - HEATRAN

600px-485Heatran.png

"It dwells in volcanic caves. It digs in with its cross-shaped feet to crawl on ceilings and walls."

Your eyes were like landing lights, they used to be the clearest blue. Now you don't see so well, the future's gonna land on you~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Heatran! First introduced in Generation IV, Heatran has received very little attention in the anime - being reduced to a mere servant in Arceus and the Jewel of Life - or in the video games - being Team Galactic's backup plan in Platinum after their first plan backfires and they lose their leader. In the swarm of Legendary Pokemon introduced in Generation IV, Heatran was buried under the mountain, so to speak. However, it exploded in fiery glory in the metagame, with its ridiculous amount of double resistances - five, which is more than any other Pokemon to date! - excellent stats, and wonderfully diverse movepool. An unsung hero in the media, Heatran has nonetheless brought a warm glow - or burning hot agony - to players for many years, and shows no signs of being any less useful...or any more noticeable.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Heatran! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What did you think of Heatran's sub-plot in Pokemon Platinum? Would you have liked to have seen it develop into something a little more substantial, or was it simply a waste of postgame which might have been better spent on a more appealing Legendary Pokemon?
  • What do you think happens if Heatran melts the steel plates on its body? Is it even possible? What would it look like without them, assuming it could survive the experience?

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
What did you think of Heatran's sub-plot in Pokemon Platinum? Would you have liked to have seen it develop into something a little more substantial, or was it simply a waste of postgame which might have been better spent on a more appealing Legendary Pokemon?

I really do not want a cool legendary to get wasted.

What do you think happens if Heatran melts the steel plates on its body? Is it even possible? What would it look like without them, assuming it could survive the experience?

Science do not appear in Pokemon.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
What did you think of Heatran's sub-plot in Pokemon Platinum? Would you have liked to have seen it develop into something a little more substantial, or was it simply a waste of postgame which might have been better spent on a more appealing Legendary Pokemon?

Hey, Heatran was awesome. I swear if one more person thinks that Heatran is unnecessary, I swear...

pkmin3033

319 - SHARPEDO

600px-319Sharpedo.png

"Its fangs rip through sheet iron. It swims at 75 mph and is known as "The Bully of the Sea.""

Duunnn dunnn... duuuunnnn duun... duuunnnnnnnn dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dunnnnnnnnnnn dunnnn Today's Pokemon of the Day is Sharpedo! A Pokemon widely feared for its ability to fart itself through the water at top speeds over short distances, Sharpedo was lucky enough to receive its own overworld model in the recent Ruby and Sapphire remakes, and went significantly faster than any other Pokemon you could surf on, too! However, you can't fish when surfing on a Sharpedo...but then, any fish stupid enough to be around a shark wouldn't be worth catching, surely? It also received a Mega Evolution in the same generation, making it hit even harder. In the anime a small group of Sharpedo attacked Ash and company whilst they were travelling in filler episodes in the Hoenn arc, and have appeared since in similar antagonist roles.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Sharpedo! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Did you use speed-surfing in ORAS? Is this a mechanic you'd like to see in future titles?
  • Whilst Sharpedo is known as the Bully of the Sea, Tentacruel is known as the Gangster of the Sea. Which of the two do you think would win in a turf war?

Adam Levine

Years
Whilst Sharpedo is known as the Bully of the Sea, Tentacruel is known as the Gangster of the Sea. Which of the two do you think would win in a turf war?

Sharpedo can win. With things like Rough Skin and Speed Boost, Sharpedo can win. Also, Mega Evolutions.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Did you use speed-surfing in ORAS? Is this a mechanic you'd like to see in future titles?

Yup, I actually do not want to see it in the futur because... IDK.

Whilst Sharpedo is known as the Bully of the Sea, Tentacruel is known as the Gangster of the Sea. Which of the two do you think would win in a turf war?

Tentacruel because he a thug and he smoke everyday m8.

Years
Did you use speed-surfing in ORAS? Is this a mechanic you'd like to see in future titles?
Took me until the post-game, but now I keep Sharpedo in my party because of it. And I would like to see it going forward, as long as it isn't limited to Sharpedo. Maybe even the base speed of a Pokemon could dictate how fast it moves in the water.

While I think Sharpedo are more vicious than Tentacruel, I think that the latter is probably more cunning, so I'd place my money on Tentacruel if the two were to get into a not-on-turf war.

pkmin3033

689 - BARBARACLE

689Barbaracle.png

"Barbaracle's legs and hands have minds of their own, and they will move independently. But they usually follow the head's orders."

The training of these poor creatures to turn themselves into fighting machines is simply barbaric. Barbaric. Barbaric! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Barbaracle! A Machamp's worst undersea nightmare, Barbaracle is the evolved form of Binacle. Somehow, two Binacle become seven when evolving into Barbaracle, flying in the face of conventional mathematics. Despite having access to Shell Smash and moderately passable offensive stats, Barbaracle has never made much of a splash in the metagame, and seems to be another of those more wacky Pokemon consigned to the lower tiers and forgotten in the eyes of the fans. It has had one appearance in the anime thus far, under the control of Saizo, where it battled against Ash's Froakie and Sanpei's Greninja. The results were as you would expect.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Barbaracle! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Where do you think the other three Binacle come from when two become Barbaracle?
  • Do you think Barbaracle deserves to be one of the more forgotten Pokemon of Gen VI? Would you ever consider using one if it had improved stats, an evolution, or a mega evolution?

Adam Levine

Years
Do you think Barbaracle deserves to be one of the more forgotten Pokemon of Gen VI? Would you ever consider using one if it had improved stats, an evolution, or a mega evolution?

No! Barbaracle is actually one of my faves. Even so, its stats suck, so I think we need to give it a better Sp. Def. And a bit of Speed. It needs it really bad.

Wings Don't Cry

Maybe she's born with it
Years
Do you think Barbaracle deserves to be one of the more forgotten Pokemon of Gen VI? Would you ever consider using one if it had improved stats, an evolution, or a mega evolution?

I love Barbaracle, it was my Gen VI HM slave and since it stuck with me throughout the whole game its surf was also perfect for my Horde EV training sessions. As for competitively it has a lot of competition with the existing water/rock type Pokemon especially since most of them also have access to shell smash. All I can hope for is that Barbaracle and Machamp will share an exclusive move for the four arm folks.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
Years
Where do you think the other three Binacle come from when two become Barbaracle?

Maybe inside of him/her?

We decide, let us keep things the same. You can just make a improvement of him in Sun and Moon. I do not have any Mega Evolution Ideas for him/her.

pkmin3033

395 - EMPOLEON

600px-395Empoleon.png

"If anyone were to hurt its pride, it would slash them with wings that can cleave through an ice floe."

His Mom and Dad met in the usual way, the song became love, and love became the egg. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Empoleon! The rather dapper-looking final form of Generation IV starter Piplup, Empoleon is a surprisingly useful Pokemon: with ten-type resistances (more than any other starter to date!), the ability to learn more HMs than any other starter (although why you'd use a starter as an HM Slave when there are perfectly good Bidoof scattered around I do not know), and a special defensive niche in the current OU metagame, Empoleon has definitely made a splash since its introduction. Did I mention it's a penguin, and penguins are great? As a fun fact, it's also roughly the same height as its namesake, Napoleon Bonaparte. Unfortunately for Empoleon, its anime appearances are its Waterloo, as it was used by two rather mediocre trainers - Barry and Kenny - and had little in the way of a proper appearance otherwise, appearing only briefly in the movies as a cameo.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Empoleon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Were you in any way influenced to choose Piplup as your starter in DPPt because of Empoleon, or were you drawn to another of the starters instead?
  • What do you imagine Mega Empoleon will look like, assuming the Gen IV starters get megas in the future?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
Years
Was the Happy Feet reference really necessary?

Were you in any way influenced to choose Piplup as your starter in DPPt because of Empoleon, or were you drawn to another of the starters instead?
I was initially drawn to Turtwig because it's a turtle, but Emp is now one of my favorite mons so Piplup has become my default Sinnoh starter.

What do you imagine Mega Empoleon will look like, assuming the Gen IV starters get megas in the future?
A Boss. With a trident.

Adam Levine

Years
What do you imagine Mega Empoleon will look like, assuming the Gen IV starters get megas in the future?

Let's say...it should look more like Napoleon, with a cool hat appendage and more gold to go with it. Or it could look more like Poseidon and get a beard.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Were you in any way influenced to choose Piplup as your starter in DPPt because of Empoleon, or were you drawn to another of the starters instead?
I actually don't really remember my very first starter from this gen, and I never saw any of the final forms before the first forms(this was my first gen after all). But when I decided to replay Plat years later, I picked Piplup because I heard online that it's final form was useful.

I'm expecting it's wings to resemble real tough swords for some reason.

pkmin3033

430 - HONCHKROW

430Honchkrow.png

"If one utters a deep cry, many Murkrow gather quickly. For this, it is called "Summoner of Night.""

Someday, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Honchkrow! The unforgiving, intimidating boss of all Murkrow that are unfortunate enough to hear its cry, and a favourite of evil team bosses in the games (being used by Giovanni, Cyrus, and Lysandre) despite its prestigious status, Honchkrow has unfortunately never been able to make much of a name for itself outside of lower tiers...where it shines as an offensive threat, naturally. You might say it gravitates more towards small-time crime than major heists. In the anime, Paul owns a Honchkrow, which probably didn't surprise anyone. Equally unsurprising was that it was soundly defeated by Ash's recently evolved Staraptor in a PokeRinger competition, after previously decimating his Turtwig in an earlier battle.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Honchkrow! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think Honchkrow's purpose is in gathering together flocks of Murkrow?
  • How do you feel about Honchkrow when compared to other evolutions of past generation Pokemon introduced in Gen IV? Was it something you used, or would consider using in the future?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think Honchkrow's purpose is in gathering together flocks of Murkrow?

198.png
: Hey, boss. What do we do?
430.png
: Same thing we do everyday, Murkrow. TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

How do you feel about Honchkrow when compared to other evolutions of past generation Pokemon introduced in Gen IV? Was it something you used, or would consider using in the future?

Honchkrow looks really rad. Its design is just menacing, and that hat... I probably won't use it, though. :P

Years
To be honest, I went into the fourth gen games blind, having no real idea of what the starters evolved into. And I've very glad that I chose Piplup, as Empoleon has grown to arguably be my favorite final evolution starter.

What do you think Honchkrow's purpose is in gathering together flocks of Murkrow?
Well... seeing as a flock of Murkrow can also be known as a murder, and Honchkrow kind of looks like a mob boss...

Probably just gathering them for bird stuff. And totally nothing evil. Because they're just birds. Ehehe....

pkmin3033

591 - AMOONGUSS

600px-591Amoonguss.png

"It moves the caps on both arms and does a dance to lure prey. It prefers damp places."

Thank you Mario! But our princess is in another castle! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Amoonguss! A rather odd Pokemon that seems to think waving shields shaped like Pokeballs will attract prey - as if every wild Pokemon is just itching to give up its freedom and be caught by a trainer - Amoonguss is another mushroom Pokemon in a long line of them, although it shares some similarities with Voltorb and Electrode in its Pokeball-inspired design. Amoonguss' high base HP and infuriating array of tricks - including Spore and the Regenerator ability - make it an excellent defensive wall in the metagame, meaning that players may be seeing its hypnotic swaying dance more often than they might like. In the anime, Amoonguss was James' main Pokemon in the Unova anime, when he ironically became far more competent and serious in his job.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Amoonguss! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which Pokemon do you think would be stupid enough to fall prey to Amoonguss' Pokeball-luring strategy?
  • Before the existence of the Pokeball, do you think Amoonguss existed in some form? If so, what do you think it used to attract prey in place of its Pokeball shields?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back