• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
What do you think of Team Rocket's Meowth? Is it a character you've grown fond of, or are fed up with?

I love this particular Meowth. He's great person who's terrible at his job. I just...love him.

Do you think Meowth looks better standing on two legs, or walking on all fours? Which do you think is its natural state?

I like the bipedal Meowth better. Even though I find the quadrupedal Meowth the natural one, I like Meowth better with two legs. I just...grew up with liking it.

pkmin3033

594 - ALOMOMOLA

594.png

"It gently holds injured and weak Pokémon in its fins. Its special membrane heals their wounds."

I am Manbo, child of the sunfish. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Alomomola! The evolved form Luvd--oh, wait, my mistake. Contrary to overwhelming fan belief and design implications, Alomomola is a standalone Water-type Pokemon introduced in Generation V, and of that generation it is the Pokemon with the highest base HP. Combined with access to Regenerator and Wish, it's something of a nuisance in lower tiers. For some reason, Alomomola represents March in the Unova horoscope. In the anime, Alomomola has never had any particularly noteworthy role, although it was the first Pokemon in the Unova region that Ash saw whilst he was on the boat getting there.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Alomomola! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Were you one of the many who thought that Alomomola was a Luvdisc evolution? Were you disappointed that it wasn't?
  • Would you like to see Alomomola get a Mega Evolution in the future, or a pre-evolution that might link it to Luvdisc?

Adam Levine

Years
Were you one of the many who thought that Alomomola was a Luvdisc evolution? Were you disappointed that it wasn't?

No, because logically Luvdisc shouldn't evolve into Alomomola. Luvdisc is based on a discus fish; Alomomola is based off a sunfish. In other words, I'm not. Still doesn't explain why Remoraid evolves into Octillery.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Were you one of the many who thought that Alomomola was a Luvdisc evolution? Were you disappointed that it wasn't?
Yes. In fact, I was disappointed that Gen 5 didn't introduce any new evolutions for previous Pokemon.

Would you like to see Alomomola get a Mega Evolution in the future, or a pre-evolution that might link it to Luvdisc?
Yes, I'd like to see a mega evolution. I can't think how else it could get linked to Luvdisc.

pkmin3033

100 - VOLTORB

100.gif

"It is said to camouflage itself as a Poké Ball. It will self-destruct with very little stimulus."

Pokeball, go--*boom* Today's Pokemon of the Day is...a Pokeball? No, sorry, it's Voltorb! That would probably be the last mistake you ever made, as Voltorb has what you might call an explosive temperament. Generally, it's a good idea to keep clear of this Pokeball-shaped Pokemon, or you're in for a bit of a shock. That said, it might not be as much of a shock as you may be expecting, as Voltorb actually has the lowest base attack stat of all electric-type Pokemon. In the anime, Voltorb has only ever made minor appearances, perhaps because they've blown up before anyone could catch them, or putting a Pokeball within a Pokeball isn't possible unless you're Mewtwo. Koga kept some in his Gym as booby traps for some reason. They weren't particularly useful against Team Rocket. Fittingly, Ash has a clock in the shape of a Voltorb, too...which didn't help him wake up on time on his first day.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Voltorb! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Voltorb was first seen in a Power Plant where modern Pokeballs were created...so how do you think it came to be?
  • Do you think it'd be possible to get Voltorbs based on different Pokeballs, and would you like to see these in the future?
  • Did you pay Voltorb Flip in HeartGold and SoulSilver? If so, did you ever manage to win a game?

Adam Levine

Years
Did you pay Voltorb Flip in HeartGold and SoulSilver? If so, did you ever manage to win a game?

Yes. Multiple games.

pkmin3033

303 - MAWILE

latest

"It uses its docile-looking face to lull foes into complacency, then bites with its huge, relentless jaws."

Partake of the fruit! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Mawhile! Sorry, I mean, Mawile. Originally misspelled in Ruby's Pokedex entry - and considering it was a Ruby exclusive, this was quite a glaring error on Game Freak's part! - Mawile was one of many Pokemon to receive the Fairy typing in Generation VI, as well as a Mega Evolution. Despite having the lowest base stat total of 480, Mega Mawile can reach a terrifying 678 Attack with Huge Power, which is actually the highest of all Pokemon. Looks like thos jaws - which are somehow transformed horns? - aren't just for show! In the anime, Mawile's only major appearance was in a standard filler episode in which it took the spotlight. It had a crush on Brock's Lombre for some obscure reason. A Mega Mawile also appeared in the XY series, where it battled and bested Korrina's Mega Lucario whilst it was going through its Mega Evolution angst.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Mawile! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How do you think Mawile's horns are transformed into the steel jaws that are shown?
  • What are your thoughts on the additional fairy-typing and Mega Evolution Mawile received in Gen VI?

Adam Levine

Years
How do you think Mawile's horns are transformed into the steel jaws that are shown?

Evolution. I guess.

What are your thoughts on the additional fairy-typing and Mega Evolution Mawile received in Gen VI?

It's really great. It has lots of new buffs while barely keeping its old ones. Its new typing just makes it cool. But I don't know why Mawile deserves the typing.

pkmin3033

563 - COFAGRIGUS

CcnjEm6UEAQwdiJ.png

"Grave robbers who mistake them for real coffins and get too close end up trapped inside their bodies."

With the strength of Ra! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Cofagrigus! It's a bit of a mouthful and initially the censor on the GTS actually prevented people from trading it without giving it a nickname first! This has since been rectified, however, and now everyone's favourite human-devouring living (sort of, since it's a Ghost-type...) coffin is much more freely available! It might be censored on here though, depending upon your censor settings, in which case this is going to read very strangely. One of the more openly ominous Pokemon, Cofagrigus unfortunately isn't particularly noteworthy in the stats department, save for having the highest base Defense stat of all Gen V Pokemon, and a thoroughly infuriating ability in Mummy. In the anime, Cofagrigus has only had one major appearance, in which it was guarding the Golden Dark Stone, along with Sigilyph...because weird attracts weird, I guess.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Cofagrigus! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Did you acquire a nicknamed Cofagrigus from the GTS when it couldn't be traded without one, or trade a nicknamed one yourself? What would you nickname one?
  • What do you think Cofagrigus looks like outside of its coffin?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think Co***rigus looks like outside of its coffin?

A Yamask...whose arms split into four? Just guessing.

pkmin3033

437 - BRONZONG

437.png

"It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests."

Crack of dawn, all is gone except the will to be, now they see what will be, blinded eyes to see~
Today's Pokemon of the Day is Bronzong! The evolved form of Bronzor first introduced in Generation IV, with a ridiculously good Steel/Psychic typing and solid defenses - as well as access to Levitate and Heatproof; both very useful abilities - Bronzong was a key player in the Gen IV metagame. Unfortunately, the years have not been quite so kind to it, and it seems to have been placed back in the hole it was first dug up from...despite being revered in the past, it was evidently buried for a reason. In the anime, Bronzong's only major appearance was under the control of Lucian of the Sinnoh Elite Four, in which it made mincemeat out of Dawn's (later Ash's) Buizel. It was then curbstomped shortly afterwards by Cynthia's Garchomp.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Bronzong! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which world do you think Bronzong summons rains from?
  • What sort of design would you give a Mega Bronzong to make it a relevant defensive wall in the OU metagame?

Adam Levine

Years
Which world do you think Bronzong summons rains from?

No, not another world. Hoenn. Or Unova. There's lots of rain there.

pkmin3033

498 - TEPIG

498.png

"It brought rains by opening portals to another world. It was revered as a bringer of plentiful harvests."

They call me MISTER Pig! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Tepig! The fire-type Unova starter, Tepig is an adorably cute fire pig...based on a Chinese demon from Journey to the West. That's Pokemon for you! The lightest Pokemon to learn Heavy Slam - meaning it's next to useless if it actually uses it - Tepig has the highest base HP of all starters, yet the lowest base stat total. You win some, you lose some. It has a signature move in Heat Crash, so it's not all bad...although not many fans were happy that it turned out to be yet another Fire/Fighting-type. In the anime, Ash acquired a Tepig that was discarded by its former trainer after it lost a fight with a Deerling...it eventually evolved into Pignite when battling its former trainer.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Tepig! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Did you choose Tepig in either of the Unova titles? If not, did its Fire/Fighting evolutionary pathway put you off?
  • What was your reaction to Tepig when it was revealed in June 2010's CoroCoro? Were you expecting its silhouette to be the fire-type for the region?

Adam Levine

Years
Did you choose Tepig in either of the Unova titles? If not, did its Fire/Fighting evolutionary pathway put you off?

Because I was an idiot, I picked Tepig. I guess I liked pigs back then.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Did you choose Tepig in either of the Unova titles? If not, did its Fire/Fighting evolutionary pathway put you off?
I picked Tepig in my replay of Black, but I picked Snivy in my first play through and picked Oshawott in White 2. It was Emboar's design that put me off, but only because I like Serperior and Samurott better.

What was your reaction to Tepig when it was revealed in June 2010's CoroCoro? Were you expecting its silhouette to be the fire-type for the region?
Until its evolutions were revealed, it would've been my second choice after Snivy. I thought it was either gonna be a fire type or a water type and I also thought it was gonna be a rabbit.

Adam Levine

Years
Oopsie. You accidentally put Bronzong's PokéDex entry instead of Tepig's. Might wanna fix that, Meloetta.

Years
I did pick it in one playthrough that went unfinished, but other than that I usually always pick Oshawott since it's my mascot and I can never usually do a Unova game without it.

What was your reaction to Tepig when it was revealed in June 2010's CoroCoro? Were you expecting its silhouette to be the fire-type for the region?
I kinda expected it to be the Fire-type since the Grass-type is always on the left and the Water-type is on the right, plus the fact that the pig is an animal in the Chinese Zodiac (aka the pattern for Fire-type starter designs) made me believe the middle was "yeah it's a Fire-type".

pkmin3033

141 - KABUTOPS

latest

"Its sleek shape is perfect for swimming. It slashes prey with its claws and drains the body fluids"

Just a little off the top. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Lantis--sorry, Kabutops! With the scientific name of Kabutops Maximus - and how cool is that? - Kabutops, like Blastoise, is known as the Shellfish Pokemon...and, like Blastoise, it looks absolutely nothing like a shellfish. With two fairly vicious scythe-like hands that it uses to slash open its prey and drink their internal fluids, Kabutops is, surprise surprise, an offensive Pokemon that slots in fairly nicely in lower-tier metagame. In the anime, Kabutops first featured along with all the other Kanto fossil Pokemon in an underground cavern, where it reacted fairly violently to be awoken. A giant one also appeared in the fifth Pokemon movie alongside an Aerodactyl, which chased Ash around Ven--sorry, Alto Mare.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Kabutops! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Did Kabutop's design influence you to choose the Dome Fossil in the original games?
  • Do you think the name Lantis suits Kabutops more, or was it a wise move to change it from the beta?

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Did Kabutop's design influence you to choose the Dome Fossil in the original games?
When I first played LeafGreen, I didn't know which fossil had which Pokemon so I picked one at random which happened to be dome.

Do you think the name Lantis suits Kabutops more, or was it a wise move to change it from the beta?
I think Kabuto and Kabutops sound better than Att and Lantis. Those beta names just sound odd if mentioned on their own, especially Att.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back