• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Do you think the name Lantis suits Kabutops more, or was it a wise move to change it from the beta?

Imo Lantis was a better name. The only problem is if Kabuto was named Att.

pkmin3033

336 - SEVIPER

336.svg

"Its sleek shape is perfect for swimming. It slashes prey with its claws and drains the body fluids"

Trainers! Which Pokemon does Arbok evolve into? Today's Pokemon of the Day is Seviper! If you guessed it was an evolution of Arbok...you were right! Or not. A standalone pure-poison snake introduced in Generation III, Seviper is defined mostly by its relationship with Zangoose, as the two are in an eternal feud for...some reason. Unsurprisingly, it is an exclusive to Sapphire, whilst Zangoose is an exclusive to Ruby; despite being in a feud the games usually like to keep them apart. Like Zangoose, it is not particularly noteworthy competitively, and had a signature move when it was first introduced in Poison Tail. In the anime, Seviper was Jessie's signature Pokemon for a while after she beat it half to death for biting off her hair. Since she had recently lost her Arbok, it seemed like a natural fit. Pike Queen Lucy also had one, on account of her entire facility being shaped like a Seviper, at least in the games, and her costume being Seviper themed.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Seviper! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Why do you think Zangoose and Seviper hate each other so much?
  • What did you think of Jessie's Seviper in the anime? Was it a worthy replacement for her Arbok?

Adam Levine

Years
Why do you think Zangoose and Seviper hate each other so much?

One time, a husband Zangoose and a wife Sevipeer were at home.

The Zangoose told her he cheated on her.

The end.

pkmin3033

165 - LEDYBA

165.png

"It is so timid, it can't move if it isn't with a swarm of others. It conveys its feelings with scent."

Francis, leave them alone, they are poo-poo heads! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Ledyba! A Gold/HeartGold exclusive daytime bug-type to parallel the Silver/Soulsilver nocturnal Spinarak, Ledyba was one of the first Pokemon to take advantage of the new day/night feature in the second generation titles. Based on a ladybird - shockingly enough - Ledyba is a timid Pokemon, which partially explains why it's never found during the darker hours of the day in any of the games in which it is found that have day/night cycles. In the anime Ledyba's only prominent appearance was in the second season, in which a trainer controlled them with a whistle and used them for transportation, as well as for pollination. It also appeared in Pikachu's Rescue Adventure, where it (un?)fortunately saved Pikachu and friends from falling to a probably grisly demise at the start of the short.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Ledyba! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which do you prefer - Ledyba or Spinarak? Did their exclusivity prompt you to choose their respective version?
  • What do you think the aromatic fluid Ledyba secretes smells like?

Adam Levine

Years
Which do you prefer - Ledyba or Spinarak? Did their exclusivity prompt you to choose their respective version?

Ledyba looks better. However, I don't really care about what game I want when considering these two.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
Which do you prefer - Ledyba or Spinarak? Did their exclusivity prompt you to choose their respective version?
I like either. I picked Gold regardless of which one is exclusive.

What do you think the aromatic fluid Ledyba secretes smells like?
Some kind of flower I'm guessing.

pkmin3033

701 - HAWLUCHA

latest

"With its wings, it controls its position in the air. It likes to attack from above, a maneuver that is difficult to defend against."

El Toto Fuere never removes his mask. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Hawlucha! A tiny Flying/Fighting-type that can somehow keep up with brawlers like Machamp and Hariyama despite its size - making it kinda like the Fighting-type Pokemon equivalent of Yoda - Hawlucha is a bit of a mish-mash of cultural inspiration design-wise, drawing from Latin American professional wrestling and Aztec eagle warriors amongst other things...it takes all kinds. Prior to OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire it was also the only Pokemon capable of using Flying Press, a unique move that also deals Flying-type damage even though it is a Fighting-type move. In the anime, Ash captured a Hawlucha, which serves as a cornerstone of his team in the XY series. A shiny "Dark Hawlucha" has also appeared under the ownership of another trainer.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Hawlucha! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Hawlucha's signature move, Flying Press? Would you like to see more moves that deal two different types of damage in future games?
  • What do you think of Ash's Hawlucha in the anime? Is it a worthy addition to his roster?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you think of Hawlucha's signature move, Flying Press? Would you like to see more moves that deal two different types of damage in future games?

Flying Press, while not really impressive, is quite unique. I'd like to see more of those moves in the future (considering the fact that some moves are probably eligible for this stuff, like Steel Wing and Muddy Water).

pkmin3033

385 - JIRACHI

latest

"Jirachi will awaken from its sleep of a thousand years if you sing to it in a voice of purity. It is said to make true any wish that people desire."

When you wish upon a star... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Jirachi! The painfully cute and woefully unobtainable hidden Legendary for Generation III, following in the footsteps of Mew and Celebi, Jirachi was actually the first Pokemon to be distributed via the Nintendo Wi-Fi connection...and a good thing to, because it was unavailable in any of the Hoenn games unless you were lucky enough to have either Pokemon Channel in the EU or the Pokemon Collosseum bonus disc in the US. Jirachi has the power to grant wishes...somehow. In the anime, it cannot create objects, but teleports them instead. In the manga you have to write on the tags on its head, and as it only has three tags, it can only grant three wishes. In the games it doesn't bother to specify how Jirachi grants wishes, only that it does. Its signature move is the rather ominously named Doom Desire, so it's probably pretty bad in the games. Jirachi's only major anime appearance was in its own movie, the creatively titled Jirachi Wish Maker, in which it woke up for a week, was kidnapped by a rejected scientist and forced to create a weird Groudon clone and, worst of all, had to hang out with May's little brother, Max. No wonder it only wakes up once every thousand years...

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Jirachi! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What one true wish would you ask Jirachi to grant you?
  • When did you obtain your first event Jirachi?

Adam Levine

Years
What one true wish would you ask Jirachi to grant you?

To have an optimistic point of view of life. Seriously, I just think every point in my life is a mess.

pkmin3033

435 - SKUNTANK

435.png

"It sprays a stinky fluid from its tail. The fluid smells worse the longer it is allowed to fester."

Pew, pew. Ah, here it is. Pew. It means... No! No, not me! C'est les ridiculous. C'est impossible pew, no. No Pew! Today's Pokemon of the Day is...um, Skuntank. Yay? A rather nasty Pokemon, Skuntank sprays its fluid from the tip of its tail, rather than from the base like its pre-evolution. It also has a range of 160 feet, so you can run, but you cannot hide...unless you come at it from above; for some reason attacks from above confound it. Unsurprisingly, Skuntank has always been relatively low-key in both the games in the anime: in the games it's a Diamond-exclusive and heads up the semi-villainous Team Skull in the second Mystery Dungeon titles, and in the anime it is used only by Team Galactic's Commander Jupiter, who definitely got the shortest end of the stick with her fellow Commanders, who got Purugly and Toxicroak.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Skuntank! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Have you ever used Skuntank before? Is this something you would consider in the future?
  • Would you have liked to have battled Team Skull's Skuntank in the PMD titles?

Years
Have you ever used Skuntank before? Is this something you would consider in the future?

I used it in a lot of my D/P/Pt playthroughs (which mainly went unfinished) but since my brother had Diamond (the only Sinnoh game it was found in) I had to often hoard his DS and trade to my Pearl or Platinum. It's not that bad of a Pokemon and I always wanted a skunk Pokemon so to have one with a unique typing (shared with Drapion, but still unique) made it even more cool.

pkmin3033

707 - KLEFKI

2707-Shiny-Klefki.png

"These key collectors threaten any attackers by fiercely jingling their keys at them"

Don't worry. There will always be a door to the light. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Klefki! Seemingly designed for all adults who are forever misplacing their keys (tip: they're in the last place you left them) Klefki is...a keyring. With lots of keys. Which it may not want to let go if it likes it enough, totally defeating the point of having one. Unsurprisingly, a Pokemon that holds onto your keys is extremely useful in battle, too – with a Steel/Fairy typing, access to Prankster, and an irritating number of status and support moves, Klefki may just hold the key to victory somewhere. It also has two exclusive moves in Fairy Lock and Crafty Shield. In the anime, Klefki holds onto the Princess Keys for Monsieur Pierre.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Klefki! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• What do you think of Klefki's design? Were you one of the many people who disliked it?
  • Klefki has two exclusive moves – would you like to see new Pokemon acquire them in the future? Are there any existing Pokemon that you think should be able to use them?

Adam Levine

Years
Have you ever used Skuntank before? Is this something you would consider in the future?

Competitively, yes. It was good.

Would you have liked to have battled Team Skull's Skuntank in the PMD titles?

I was disappointed to realize I wasn't.

What do you think of Klefki's design? Were you one of the many people who disliked it?

I don't necessarily hate Pokémon for its design (except Aromatisse. Ugh.). I actually find Klefki's design fitting for its battling style.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
Years
What one true wish would you ask Jirachi to grant you?
The power of flight.

When did you obtain your first event Jirachi?
I got Pokemon Channel for my birthday in 2007 just to get Jirachi.

Never used it and I'm not sure when I ever will.

Would you have liked to have battled Team Skull's Skuntank in the PMD titles?
Yes. It would make sense since you fight the other two Team Skull members at the beginning.

What do you think of Klefki's design? Were you one of the many people who disliked it?
I like it because it reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. It's my favourite Pokemon based on an inanimate object.

Klefki has two exclusive moves – would you like to see new Pokemon acquire them in the future? Are there any existing Pokemon that you think should be able to use them?
Since I've never used a Klefki, I had to look up what its two moves are. Crafty Shield sounds like a move that Aegislash could learn. But I can't imagine what other Pokemon could use Fairy Lock.

Unknown#

'Cause why not?
Years
I honestly know a lot of people that just don't like Klefki. Design wise anyways, I think its quite an interesting Pokemon. I have yet to use one on any of my play throughs though, but maybe that will change soon. I'll play X or Y with the intention of making it a key part of my team.

pkmin3033

632 - DURANT

632.svg

"Durant dig nests in mountains. They build their complicated, interconnected tunnels in mazes."

Everyone knows an ant can't move a rubber tree plant! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Durant! A Bug/Steel-typed Pokemon that lives in colonies in complex, underground mazes, Durant apparently grew its steel armour to protect itself from its natural predator, Heatmor...a very unwise decision, since Heatmor is a fire-type and now it has a 4x weakness to it instead of just a 2x weakness. It is, however, fairly fast, so it has that in its favour, and it has a nice role in lower tiers. Scizor it is not, but it has passable stats for an ant that evolved in decidedly the wrong fashion. In the anime, Durant has only had one major appearance which was, surprise surprise, as a colony, in which it "accidentally" kidnapped Iris' Axew while gathering food.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Durant! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Given Durant's weakness to Heatmor, how do you think it manages to defend itself from its natural predator?
  • As one of Ken Sugimori's designs, what do you think of Durant? Is it one of his better designs, or one of his weaker ones?

Adam Levine

Years
Given Durant's weakness to Heatmor, how do you think it manages to defend itself from its natural predator?

I bet it has steel armor. Durant are stupid.

As one of Ken Sugimori's designs, what do you think of Durant? Is it one of his better designs, or one of his weaker ones?

I honestly love Durant's design. It's a metal ant. And who could say no to does mandibles and eyes? It looks so cool.

pkmin3033

15 - BEEDRILL

015.png

"Flies at high speed and attacks using its large venomous stingers on its forelegs and tail."

Pierce the Heavens with your drill! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Beedrill! The final form of Weedle, the other early route bug-type Pokemon that nobody uses, Beedrill is territorial and aggressive, usually prompting people to run screaming in the opposite direction whenever they encounter one. With the highest base attack and speed of all Poison types - yeah, really! - and a Mega Evolution, one would think that Beedrill would suddenly be catapulted to stardom in the metagame...unfortunately, this is not the case. Prior to the fifth generation, it also had a signature move in Twineedle. In the anime, Beedrill has only ever really appeared in swarms, although a few trainers have owned them, including Casey, who received hers from Ash after he caught it in the Bug-Catching Contest.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Beedrill! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Have you ever used Beedrill before? Did its Mega Evolution in Gen VI prompt you to give it a second look?
  • Beedrill vs. Butterfree - which is your favourite?

Adam Levine

Years
Have you ever used Beedrill before? Did its Mega Evolution in Gen VI prompt you to give it a second look?

Nope! Never used Beedrill. But yes, I could consider that.

Beedrill vs. Butterfree - which is your favourite?
Beedrill anyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back