• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Lets Switch the Genre of the VIdeo game above you!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
M9CRepz.jpg

So i was thinking one of the more wonderful or dreadful things (depending on your mileage) in video games which are the change of one genre to the other.

From Platformers, First Person Shooters, Role Playing Games, Real Time Strategy, Sports, Fighting, Beat em ups, Shoot em ups, Rail Shooters, and the like, video games can come in any genre. When it comes to video games and their franchises, its respective developers and publishers at times do not shy away at changing the direction of a video game's current genre to suddenly make a shift to a different genre for whatever reason they may be.

So for this thread, its pretty simple. The user will post a video game, and most importantly list its Genre (Doom, Genre: First Person Shooter) and give a short summary of what it is or what its all about, then the next user should try changing the genre of the above video game into something different and provide a well thought-of explanation on why this new genre (or a modification of the game's genre) for the above video game CAN work.

Example:
User 1:
Dynasty Warriors (1997)
Genre: Fighting Game
= Dynasty Warriors is a fighting game set in Ancient China where heroes and warlords from the Three Kingdoms period fight against each other for supremacy in order to become the rightful ruler of China.

User 2"
^ Dynasty Warriors? Lets turn it into a 3rd Person Beat em up! I feel that this is a nice genre shift for the game and for its series because I feel that the whole story of heroes and warlords fighting for supremacy is best experienced as a 3rd person beat em up where we get to fight against actual armies instead of just one on one battles.

How about Diablo?

User 3:
^ETC ETC ETC USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

RULES OF NATURE, AND ENCOURAGEMENT

1) If a game has been mentioned early, then think of a different one.
2) Don't copy what other users have said to genre shift the video game. Use your imagination
3) When describing the game you are sharing, i highly encourage you to write about it as much as you can, mainly to help other users to try genre shifing the game that you shared. (Or if you are lazy, just quote the short summary of the game you are sharing)

4) If you feel like citing a game that was previously shared before, then you can do so. But DO NOT overdo it. Also, as a bonus, list down what other users have suggested as a genre shift for the game that was mentioned before.

WITHOUT FURTHER DELAYS, Let me start!

250px-Parasite_Eve_Coverart.png

Game: Parasite Eve
Genre: Action RPG/Survival Horror

Parasite Eve is a survival horror action role-playing video game developed and published by Square. The story follows New York City police officer Aya Brea over a six-day span in 1997 as she attempts to stop the monster that is sparking the creation of a creature that will destroy the human race through spontaneous human combustion. Players are allowed to move freely around several open environments while utilizing a pausable real-time combat system along with several role-playing game elements.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
Ooh cool, let's give it a shot.

Parasite Eve - I want to say visual novel purely because the story is so intriguing; while turning it into a VN would limit the gameplay a bit, I think it would be a good opportunity to delve into the plot even more, maybe elaborate on the story and develop characters further.

header.jpg

Game: Darkest Dungeon
Genre: Roguelike dungeon crawler/turn-based RPG​
Darkest Dungeon is a roguelike dungeon crawling video game. At the outset of Darkest Dungeon, the player learns that they have inherited an estate from a relative who, while seeking fame and fortune by excavating the dungeons and catacombs beneath their manor, has unearthed portals to dark dimensions and released a number of horrific and evil creatures onto the world. Cowardly, the relative took his own life rather than deal with his mistake. As the current owner of the estate and the surrounding lands, the player must recruit a roster of adventurers and mount expeditions to cleanse the estate of its vile inhabitants.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Darkest Dungeon - Having seen this game before, while its current genre is okay, if there would be a sequel or spinoff of such, I would like it to be a loot based Action RPG with a large emphasis on hack and slash, picking up loot, loads of blood curling action, and a very deep and in-depth character growth and customization.

Killzone_Shadow_Fall_Box.jpg

Game: Killzone Shadows Fall
Genre: First Person Shooter

Gameplay Summary
Killzone Shadow Fall is a first-person shooter in a science fiction setting. Staple weapons such as the M82 Assault Rifle, stA-52 Assault Rifle, and stA-18 pistol return from the earlier Killzone games, albeit in new forms and variations. New weapons include the LSR44, a recoil-free, hybrid assault/charge sniper rifle that functions much like a miniaturized rail-gun, and the OWL, an advanced hovering attack drone (used by the Shadow Marshals) that can attack/stun when it is adjacent to an adversary, as well as deploy an instant zip line, protect the player from enemy fire with an energy shield, and hack/scan terminals and enemy alarms to prevent reinforcements from arriving.

Setting and Background:
Following the Petrusite detonation that rendered the planet Helghan uninhabitable in Killzone 3 (an event now referred to as "The Terracide"), the ISA grants refuge to the Helghast survivors on the planet Vekta, allowing them to colonize half the planet, with that half of the planet dubbed New Helghan. A massive security fortification called The Wall is constructed to separate the two civilizations from each other, due to the resentment they bear over the previous war. Both the Vektans and Helghast routinely perform covert operations against each other in the hope of finishing the war each claims the other started. The majority of the game takes place in Vekta City, home to the Vektan Security Agency (VSA) headquarters, as well as a prison in New Helghan, and Helghan, the original home to the Helghast, now dead and shattered due to the Petrusite detonation.

(I'll do more efforts in posting stuff in my own words. Anyway, future posters are highly encouraged to describe the game they are sharing in their own words if they can)

Mister Torgue

Banned
Years
^ For Killzone: Shadows Fall (and any potential Killzone games to at least revitalize this franchise)

HEY I THOUGHT TO MYSELF, WHY NOT ADD SOME RTS ELEMENTS TO KILLZONE? OR TURN THE NEXT KILLZONE GAME into something like a 3rd Person Run n Gun game? I mean there was a game in this franchise that was a 3rd person shooter and i thought that worked out pretty well.

Now for my game to be genre shifted:
Left 4 Dead - This should cover both Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 since both games are virtually identical
Genre: Cooperative First Person Shooter

I think a lot of people know what the heck the Left 4 dead series are but just in case nobody knows... Left 4 Dead is a series of First person coop shooters that has you play as one of 4 characters where you run around killing zombies or what the game likes to call "The Infected" to head to the Safe House, and for you to do more of the same.

Years
Left 4 Dead seemed to me to be the perfect vehicle for a yet another telltale series, where you'd be able to craft the story as you went along, but there are so many games about zombies out there that the market is literally flooded with zombie games.

I do, however miss the arcade on-the-rails shooters like House of the Dead. But what I haven't seen so often is the 2D zombie games. So a 2D side-scrolling co-op zombie game should have a bit of lee way for people that are tired of the zombie games.

For my pick, I'll pick:
New_Gran_Turismo_logo.JPG

Genre: Driving simulator

The appeal of the Gran Turismo series is due significantly to pristine graphics, a large number of licensed vehicles, attention to vehicle detail, accurate driving physics emulation, and the ability to tune performance. Handling of the vehicles is modeled on real-life driving impressions, tuning is based on principles of physics, and the sound of the vehicle's engine is based on recordings of the actual vehicles. The game has been a flagship for the PlayStation console's graphics capabilities, and is often used to demonstrate the system's potential.

Although Gran Turismo has an arcade mode, most gameplay derives from its simulation mode. Players start with a certain number of credits, usually 10,000, which are used to purchase vehicles from several manufacturer-specific shops, or from used car dealers, and then tune their car at the appropriate parts store for best performance. Certain events are open only to particular types of vehicles. In order to enter and progress through more difficult races, a license-testing system has been implemented, which guides players through skill development. Players may apply prize money won in events to upgrade their existing car or buy a new one, collecting a garage of vehicles.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
^ I actually thought of a creative spin-off for a future Gran Turismo title. A mission based semi open world Action-Adventure game but with still an emphasis with driving, improving your car and player character, and whatnot! Why can it work? Because Gran Turismo as a pure racing sim right now may not be as groundbreaking or as appealing as it was years ago. Nowadays, people want more story and involvement in any video game. Open world is rather appealing for a mass audience, and it may remind people of something like Grand Theft Auto and other mainstream titles. But again, with Gran Turismo's excellent vehicle controls.

I imagine my Gran Turismo spinoff as a much better executed Ride To Hell: Retribution (YES I WENT THERE LADIES AND DICKS) along with the lines the Fast and The Furious video games, and a really now underrated or now unknown Driver video game series. Just imagine, Gran Turismo + Driver.

So yeah, our new Gran Turismo Spinoff is a mission based action-adventure game with a good emphasis on driving and car customization. Hell yeah!

Now for a game that could use a little bit of Retooling and a nice little Genre Shift for a spinoff:
Neptunia.jpg

Hyperdimension Neptunia, the first of the main games.

Gameplay Overview:
This game is in essence a story-based adventure game, in the sense that much of the game is spent reading the on-screen text, as in a visual novel. However, the game also features 3D-style dungeon exploration, similar to recent Final Fantasy titles. Like most modern turn-based role-playing games, the dungeons feature random encounters, treasure chests, and various obstacles. These obstacles can be cleared by utilizing the various unique dungeon skills each character of Neptune's party has.

Story and setting overview:
The game takes place in the world of Gamindustri (ゲイムギョウ界 Geimugyō-kai?, a pun on ゲーム業界 Gēmu gyōkai, "game industry"), which is divided into four regions: Planeptune, Lastation, Lowee, and Leanbox. Each region is completely different from the others, and has a Basilicom where the citizens worship their country's goddess, also known as the Console Patron Units, or simply CPU.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
^ Oh look, a game that good ole some of my friends are glued on lately. Zero Time Dilemma. The good ole Point in Click adventure titles. While the puzzle solving and the moral decision making aspects are definitely the hightlights of the series, I'd like to have a little bit more interactivity and exploration. Basically turning it into something akin to Alone in the Dark's 3d (THE CLASSIC GAME) perspective. So yeah off you go VN base. My ZTD Spinoff would like to be a little more THREE DEE.

Boy that was challenging. ZTD is one of those games that have some of the more furious fans.

ALRIGHT LADIES AND Murdergoons:

Bombshell aka "Oh wow a strong and tuff female protagonist to try appealing a wider audience by the same publishers who made Duke Nukem 3D years and years ago"- the game.
FF7iaEI.jpg

Genre: Top-Down (Isometric) Action game.

In Bombshell, you play as Shelly "Bombshell" Harrison, the tough and ruff female protagonist that some gamers may have been asking for. Working for the Earth Defense Force, she is assigned to fight her way through 4 planets to stop an alien threat.

The game is presented on an Isometric (Top-Down) perspective with light RPG elements such as character growth and ability acquisition.

How would anyone change the genre of this game?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
^ Devil Dice.. oh dear

The best i could think off in changing Devil Dice is to revive this demon into an adventure 3d platformer in the same vein as that of Crash Bandicoot, Banjo Kazooie, Spyro the Dragon, Croc, and whatever else while keeping some of the puzzle gameplay that made the game series what it was. I think the Dice Devil could make a nice cute gaming mascot if it weren't for the overly religious..

That was a toughie..

Now here's something that could be a toughie:

Devil May Cry
56qHsuC.jpg

I don't think i have to describe what the Devil May Cry series is all about but to be fair and to the potential younger joeys and jillies who don't know what the f the DMC series is all about...

The DMC or Devil May Cry series revolves around the story of Dante, a Half Human-Half Demon who goes around exterminating demons for whatever reason he has in mind (original intent = avenge his momma). The core gameplay of DMC revolves around the player getting into some combat scenarios against said demonic enemies in which the player must avoid taking damage and do some combos in order to exhibit some stylized combat.

What's next for Devil May Cry in the Genre shift chain for that sweet DMC Spinoff before Capcom decides to milk the franchise again?

In order to help some people, I'll be giving some choices that THEY MAY USE to aid in their next post:
Spoiler:

Years
Lets switch up Devil May Cry into a 3D Fighting game! That would be epic.

Whelp, has anybody ever wondered what would happen if Overwatch's genre changed?

I know blizzard won't do it unless it's a brawl instead of the whole entire game but here's some choices that to help people if they're stuck on what genre to change Overwatch to!

Spoiler:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
^ I actually had a couple of ideas on how to further capitalize on Overwatch's rather rich story and lore.

One of my first ideas was a Single-Player story driven campaign spinoff title that could be just sold for half the price + some incentives to players who already have the base Overwatch game. Heck, I remember running in my head a Soldier 76 Single Player Shooter campaign where you basically play the good ole days of Soldier 76 and the old team, and then continuing on with the current lore and stuff. The gameplay would be something akin to every First Person Shooter trope ever (capitalizing on what made the genre so popular as well as making fun of the tropes and cliches commonly found in more recent Call of Duty-esque first person shooters) as fitting as it is for Solder 76, basically Blizzard's way of making the "generic modern military shooter" hero.

Overwatch the MMO though... Oh dear, that could actually work in a sense. Overwatch + Shoot n Loot? Think Borderlands + Destiny + Diablo (Loot system). Oh dear.

Alright chicks and lads, here's a rather interesting one for each of ya

WSoYEWc.png

Fire Emblem.

Considering that this forum has a fairly large Fire Emblem fanbase, I shouldn't really make any more descriptions to this game series but for the initiated or those may have been dwelling under a rock:

Fire Emblem (ファイアーエムブレム Faiā Emuburemu?) is a tactical role-playing video game franchise developed by Intelligent Systems and published by Nintendo.

Described by its creators as an "RPG simulation", the gameplay revolves around tactical movement of characters across grid-based environments, while incorporating a story and characters similar to those in a more traditional role-playing video game. A noted aspect of gameplay is the permanent death of characters in battle, removing them from the rest of the game should they be defeated. The series title refers to the titular object, the Fire Emblem, usually portrayed as a royally treasured weapon or shield, representing the power of war and dragons, a recurring element in the series.

What could the next FE game be like? A tactical hack and slash? A dating sim? A telltale game? Who knows? Its up to you!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 4, 2017
Threads like these need more attention, so I'm giving it the attention that it needs.
Ontopic:

^ Fire Emblem Warriors. Come on Koei and Nintendo. We all know Hyrule Warriors worked really well.

Giving Fire Emblem a more action oriented game where there's much more player interaction would totally work for the fans and players who want to actually play the FE Cast in real time action.

Now something I'd ask the community to switch up:

Dark_Souls_Cover_Art.jpg

Dark Souls
Genre: 3rd person Action RPG

I do not think i need to describe what Dark Souls is.

So basically I wonder what kind of video game genre can Dark Souls also work into?

Back