• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

About capture cards

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Sometimes I think it'd be fun to have a capture card and record and upload shit.

But the thing is....I don't know anything about them. How do they work? How do you edit stuff? Add voice? Upload it to Youtube? How much does a decent one cost? Was hoping maybe people had answers.

For 3DS and/or Wii U btw, as that's probably what I'd get one for/use one one for.

Yukari

Well for a Wii U you coud use something like the Elgato Game Capture HD60 which is around $150 or so. You just connect the Wii U to it using the HDMI in and then connect it to your computer via a USB port, and to the TV using the HDMI out port. And you record footage using the Software available on their website. There are a lot of other video game capture products you could use and I imagine that they would be very similar, but I can't say for sure since the Elgato Game Capture HD60 is the only one I'm familiar with. You can find some other really good ones on this article with links if you wanted to buy them.

On a technical level, they basically do what the name says: It captures the video signal from the console and records it in addition to sending it to the TV. All that you really need to know is that you plug it in, hit record, and it works.

The 3DS on the other hand is more complicated. You could send your 3DS in and have a capture card installed for you, buy a 3DS with it installed, or purchase a kit to do it yourself. And the capture card should come with software to view it on your PC screen; from there you just download some broadcast software so you can record the footage. You can buy one here or here.

As for recording your voice, a lot of software will let you record it while you're recording the game. But you can also record it using a program like Audacity and add it to the gameplay footage later. I don't know how to edit video myself so I can't really help with that.

Oh, and this page explains how you upload a video to Youtube.

Hope that at least helped some. c:

Reactions: Nah

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Couple follow-up questions:

1) Would I be correct in assuming that the "HD60" means that it records in HD and 60 FPS?

2) Does it have to be plugged into both the system and a computer at the same time when recording?

Yukari

1) Would I be correct in assuming that the "HD60" means that it records in HD and 60 FPS?

2) Does it have to be plugged into both the system and a computer at the same time when recording?

Yes to both of those.

Reactions: Nah
    Back