• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The 30 Days of Gaming Challenge, v2.0!

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • Day 21 - Game with the best narrative

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. As for why? It's in the archives, I used to talk about this game all the time here. If someone argued that 999 had a better story, I wouldn't be mad. That game's narrative is solid, tight, and full of twists, so it could go either way.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 21: Game where i think i'd give a damn about the story

This is pretty challenging for me. Its a cross among these games that I really enjoyed storywise:

- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
    - Metro 2033
    - The Last of Us
    - The Legend of Dragoon
    - Syphon Filter
    - Nuclear Strike

But you know what, I'll be giving the spotlight to a game where the gameplay was rather shoddy and mediocre but i played it for the damn story. I'm giving this over to Drakengard 1!

latest

Why Drakengard 1? Well the thing about this game is that it was really dark, depressing, and devoid of humor. This is one of those games that I could say it totally took itself seriously and it really shows on how the story and writing of Drakengard 1 was executed. This was the game's biggest strength and was obviously the one thing that kept people playing despite the really mediocre gameplay that it had. The way that everything unfolds from how dark and dismal practically everyone is in this game's lore and setting was just amazing.

The main reason why i brought up Drakengard 1 is that i wanted to share to everyone that there exist games that aren't necessarily good when it comes to its core gameplay mechanics, sadly which is the most important part of any video game, but when the game has a really well written and executed story to unfold, sometimes you just have to give a damn.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Day 21: Something about story

If I'm looking solely at the story in a traditional sense I think I have to go with either Sleeping Dogs or Last of Us or something similar...

Day 22: sequel that disappointed you

I could probably take up a whole page with this but I'll chose the one that hurt the most, and that's 343i Halo (aka halo 4 and 5). They destroyed the classic art style. They turned the gameplay into Black Ops 4. They removed the UNSC from the campaign almost completely. Oh, and they changed the game to a crappy awkward love story, and then scrapped it in the next game for... I'm not even sure what it is still...

Also I'll fix the bold later I cannot seem to turn it off on me switch[\s] Shield.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 22 - A game sequel which disappointed you.

Has to be Far Cry Primal. I enjoyed the beginning, but everything else was tedious. Base building was a super grind as well.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 22: Game Sequel that disappointed you

Drakgengard 2 hands down. Jesus, where do i begin? One, the protagonist Nowe is an unlikeable piece of crap who was a bad replacement for Caim. Two - Backtracking or revisiting levels was removed for no apparent reason which made leveling in the original game a lot more forgiving and at the same time more fun. Three - The story was a lot more predictable than the first game, and Four - well Jesus Nowe was such a standard JRPG cookie cutter hero with an unlikeable attitude simply because he didn't match well with the whole "crapsack world" the universe of Drakengard is.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 23 - Game you think had the best graphics or art style.

Let's go with the latest MLB game, shall we? MLB The Show 16. Gorgeous game.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 23 - Game with the best graphics

When it comes to graphical power in video games, i should mention DICE's Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefield 1 as some of the most beautiful looking games when it comes to offering some of the most photo realistic renderings of game environments. The level of immersion in these games are just amazing with how well put together the environments are as the players engage in these epic battles.

Now I won't just be praising BF1 and Star Wars Battlefront in regard to "best graphics". I'd also like to point out once again my favorite game of 2016, DOOM 2016 as a game that i feel that deserves a spot when it comes to graphical power. Doom 2016 is not only a great looking game in its own hellish way, but its one of those games that is able to combine beautiful graphics and a high octane performance that shows off the technical capabilities of the Doom 2016 engine, the IDTECH6 Engine. Being able to display insanely good graphics while having an insanely tight performance, running at 60 frames or even more simply goes well with the general gameplay.

As for artstyle, especially in the dimension of fighting games, look no further than Guilty Gear XRD. Guilty Gear XRD to me is one of those amazing little things that people can do with 3D Cell shading that highly resembles well drawn 2D sprites. Anyone who has played Guilty Gear XRD knows that I'm talking about.

Arsenic

Years
  • Day 23 - Game with best graphics
    I think I have to give this one to Just Cause 3. Why? Well its because it just doesn't have anything that looks bad! I'm sure you can find a game with, better textures, or another with better water a, but JC3 has everything from effects to textures on an excellent level that when it comes together it beats everything in its path. And to boot it has the largest gameworld out there by far (dwarfs gtav punny map in size and 2/4 of the map isn't just completely empty)

Take a look at the prettiness
    Spoiler:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 24 - Favorite classic game.

I think it has to be Tetris. That's a classic game, right?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day - 24: Relic from the past which i absolutely like

Come on Xin, we know you wanna mention Doom again! Come on. We dare you, We double dare you. We triple Dare you! Heck, Rem, Ram, Emilia, Mikasa, Ahri, and even Cynthia are all rooting for ya! SAY IT! SAY IT! DOOM? CLASSIC FAVORITE?

Ok, first of all, if I'm going to mention a favorite classic game, I should mention a game that did get me into liking PC gaming in the first place. The very first PC game(s) i played, heck, its so classic that its not even on Windows. Its on good ole MS-DOS. These game I'm talking about would be:

DukeNukem1Titlecard.gif

Kppezky.jpg

O_O

DUKE NUKEM. The original. Before Duke became an iconic first person shooting legend. Duke Nukem by Apogee Software. The side scroller. This is the game that got me introduced to the wonders of PC gaming because i knew a couple of friends and relatives who had this wonderful relic.

Not a lot of people may know that Duke Nukem started out as a kick ass series of side scrolling games for the MS-DOS. This was back in the really vintage days. Duke back then was still the muscle bound badass son of a gun who talked trash and talked smack against the likes of Doctor Proton and his army of evil machines and aliens.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 25 - A game you plan on playing.

The newest Hitman game, once it comes out on disk in January. Can't wait for this one.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 25: Game I plan on playing

The Activision money demon has sold me. 4000 Philippine pesos (80 USD) (Infinite Warfare Legacy Edition) may sound like a lot of money for me to sacrifice but again, Activision money devils can sometimes be irresitable at times.

Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare, and to be specific, its single player campaign. Say what you want about CoD in general but the minute i saw how the campaign is shaping up, I definitely see a worthwhile campaign for me to play, then maybe i'd play multiplayer on Modern Warfare Remastered and see if I still have the skills.

And again, spoiler alert:
    Spoiler:

Arsenic

Years
  • Screw it I'm just gonna jump to the furthest time zone!

Day 24: Favorite classic game

Call of Duty Modern Warfare I mean it came it so long ago like 2007 did they even make games before then wasn't before that that NES bullcrap that looks like Realm of the Mad God

I bet no one would ever guess what it actually is.

Frogger. Yup.

Day 25 - A game you plan on playing

I might play through the campaign of IW if I can find a copy to... borrow... as I've finished the story of every CoD when I have no other games left to play.

One I'm super excited for though is Halo Wars 2. I really enjoyed the first and thedemo beta of the second (and it uses more of the classic art style of halo to boot.) To top it off, I can play it on my PC where RTS games are meant to be played. HYPE!

Years
  • Day 25 - A game you plan on playing
    Cyberpunk 2077, whenever it comes out that is. Of course there are other games out this year (this is hypothesized for a 2019 release), but I didn't really take such a huge interest in them.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 26 - Best voice acting.

Boy, this is a tough one...

I think I'll go J.K. Simmons in Portal 2.

CAVE JOHNSON HERE

Arsenic

Years
  • Day 26 - Best voice acting
    I agree with Evil. Cave Johnson. Be it Portal 2,.or The Lab. He's just great.

Last edited:

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Day 26: Best Voice Acting

Goldman from House of the Dead 2. Seriously, this is the greatest piece of voicework to be ever done in any video game.

i0ZJpzF.jpg

Fine, if i have to cast my vote on what i think is the best voicework I've heard in any video game, it has to be Damoen Clarke and his work on Handsome Jack all of his appearances AND the Jack Body Double in Borderlands the Presequel

Spoiler:

"WOW! Bravo, champagne, cheers, high five, SLOOWWWWW CLAP... You got the damn power core didn't you? You've been warned, the kid gloves are coming off, tighten up the big boy pants because things are going to get really, really bad for you vault hunters"

As I've mentioned previously about Handsome Jack, Dameon Clark is able to perfectly portray the two sides we know of Borderlands 2's main antagonist -> 1 the sarcastic, extremely funny and pretty charming side and 2 -> The extremely psychotic and maniacal side of said character.

Heck, Dameon Clarke's voice work on Jack was so good that Gearbox and 2K Austraila decided to have him once again do voicework for a different character, the Jack Doppelganger class/Timothy in Borderlands: The Presequel.

Spoiler:

"Do you know who i am? I'M SORTA JACK!"

Years
  • Day 26: Best Voice Acting

Gotta give it to Brian Cox's Scolar Visari. An honorable mention goes to David Hayter for his Solid Snake and Big Boss. I like Kiefer Sutherland, but goddamn is he not Snake.

Spoiler:

Arsenic

Years
  • Day 27 - Most epic scene ever

I honestly have no clue what to chose...

I guess I'll just pick the Covenant from Halo 3. The entire level feels like the culmination of the entire series. Beach landing, cqc, air battle, tank drive, double scarab fight. It's great.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Day 27 - Most epic scene ever

The whole Modern Warfare 2 ending.
    Spoiler:

Back