• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What Pokémon Types would you add?

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
What types would you add and why?

There are four types I'd like to add, but two of them were the ideas of my friend, who may join here, so I'll let him post them instead. ^^

I'd add these two: Light & Rust

Light
  • wouldn't be effected by like Fire-type by Water-type Pokémon
  • be a heavy damage dealer towards Dark- and Ghost-type
  • could lower accuracy, stun, or perhaps blind the Pokémon for a few turns

Rust
  • would be dangerous to Steel- and Normal-type (ever tried breathing that in?)
  • be the Poison-type for Steel-type Pokémon
  • could lower defense, speed, or poison or paralyze Pokémon

Some may say that rust is just a byproduct of steel, well, rusting. But if Squirtle can squirt dozens of gallons out of its mouth and ghost can lay eggs, I think that type would get a pass. =P

Last edited:

pkmin3033

In all honesty, I don't think we really need any additional types. In fact, I'd say some of the existing types that we have (separating Rock from Ground, Dark from Ghost, Normal from Fairy, etc) are unnecessary and don't really add much to the games beyond a headache in remembering type matchups, some of which make little to no sense whatsoever. If we absolutely have to tinker with types, I think we should be looking to simplify and remove, not complicate by adding.

And as for the argument of balancing the game out, because I can just see that coming up in response to that...we certainly didn't NEED fairy types as a solution to Dragon-types, just some better ice-types, or some different-type moves that were super effective against Dragons, similar to Freeze-Dry, or even some more dual-type moves that were part-Dragon. You can never truly balance a game like Pokemon, and additional types just make it more convoluted and allow for more Pokemon type-combinations that break the game - this is why we have tiers and a metagame in the first place. Introducing new types for the sake of that is counter-productive in my opinion.

So, no. I wouldn't add any new types.

virtualboy2558

Versatile Virty ^u^
Years
If I could choose to make a new type, I could call it a Smoke type. ^_^ We have Water as one state of solid, and basically any other type could be solid itself... so why not something gas-themed? =)

- Smoke couldn't penetrate Water, since it cannot push against the surface of water
- Smoke would be effective on Fire (choking out the air), Grass (block the sun), Fighting (because smoking is bad for you if you're physically active), Psychic (cloud the mind), Bug and Fairy(same as Fire)
- Normal wouldn't be able to harm Smoke, much like Ghost
- would be different from Ghost-types because Smoke isn't supernatural, just a state of solid

In all honesty, I don't think we really need any additional types. In fact, I'd say some of the existing types that we have (separating Rock from Ground, Dark from Ghost, Normal from Fairy, etc) are unnecessary and don't really add much to the games beyond a headache in remembering type matchups, some of which make little to no sense whatsoever. If we absolutely have to tinker with types, I think we should be looking to simplify and remove, not complicate by adding.

Honestly, I would mostly disagree of simplifying and removing types. Yeah, Fairy might be unnecessary... but the point of having different types is to make the game more fairly even in difficulty. It's like a more complex process of Rock Paper Scissors. No matter what way you see it, it is a matter of balance for the series... Generation 1 had it where Psychic-types had no weakness at all. And before Gen 6, the only super-effective moves against Dragon-types are Ice and Dragon itself... and given that Dragon-types tend to be tanky, having another type to even out the playing field wouldn't be a bad idea.

It's also a matter of the natural process of evolution, not what the Pokemon's next stage, but rather literally its environment. Even though this series would make Charles Darwin throw his books out the window, his fundamental ideas would still apply for these types. Ground-types naturally adapted to live in the caves, Flying-types adapted with wings to live practically anywhere, Dark-types adapted to be mostly nocturnal, and Poison-types adapted to inhabit polluted places other creatures cannot survive in. If types were limited, you wouldn't have much way of variety of environments you could go to, since the areas themselves would have to fit the types found there... you wouldn't find a Fire-type in the ocean, would you? *sweat*

Lastly, my friend's topic shouldn't be seen as a debate on why certain types shouldn't exist... it's just to encourage thoughts for users of what would they want to have for a new Pokemon type if they were given the opportunity. ^.^

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
I honestly don't have any types I would add for competitive reasons, but I always wondered why there wasn't a Sound-Type. We have enough Pokemon built around sound for it to work. The Jigglypuff line could be Sound-Fairy, Chatot would be Sound-Flying, Kricketot would be Sound-Bug, and the Whismur line would be the pure Sound to Clefairy's pure Fairy.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
There was a thread in the past that I had posted in that was talking about this exact subject.
I hope you don't mind the repost.

I honestly don't have any types I would add for competitive reasons, but I always wondered why there wasn't a Sound-Type. We have enough Pokemon built around sound for it to work. The Jigglypuff line could be Sound-Fairy, Chatot would be Sound-Flying, Kricketot would be Sound-Bug, and the Whismur line would be the pure Sound to Clefairy's pure Fairy.

I exactly agree with you!
------------------

I think this is a type that has been mentioned and played around with a few times by others, I think it's a good one because it makes sense and fits with so many different pokemon.

Name: "Sound Type"

Weaknesses: "Steel", "Rock", "Ground", "Ice"
Reason: These types are solid enough to dampen sound and prevent sound waves from passing through them.

Strengths: "Fire", "Water", "Normal", and "Fight"
Reason: These types allow sound to pass through them or are physically affected by sound, making them susceptible to sound waves.

Immunities: None
Reason: Everything can create and affect sound.

Existing Pokémon that you'd change to this type:
Normal Types that should lose their Normal type and gain Sound type: Whismur Family, Chatot, Audino, and Meloetta.
The Kriketot family deserves the Sound type in addition to being Bug type.
The Noibat family should lose its Flying type and gain Sound type.
The Voltorb family as well as Plusle and Minun deserve Sound type in addition to being Electric.
The Misdreavus family deserves the Sound type in addition to being Ghost type.
Bellossum specifically deserves Sound type in addition to Grass type as well as Maractus.
The Chimecho family and Meowstic family deserve the Sound type in addition to its Psychic type.
The Bronzong family should lose its Psychic type and gain Sound type.
Sudowoodo specifically deserves the Sound type in addition to being Rock type.

All of the pokemon I have listed above are based on either making a lot of sound, dance frequently, or are mentioned to operate under some form of rhythm.

There are also many different moves that within their descriptions are obvious choices for conversion to being sound type instead of their original type. There are way too many for me to list here.

Last edited:

UltimateFrosty08

THE DAB MAN
Years
Human type

They specialize in combat weaponry and would be dangerous to all types except steel, ground, and rock and would not just faint pokemon but make them unhealable

Guest123123

I think there's already a large enough number of types. The only one at this point I'd consider adding is Food type, since there are probably enough food-based Pokemon to make it work.

Fawful_X

Monster-hunting Red Mage
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 2, 2018
I don't really feel like we'd need more types yet. Rather, I'd like to see some types rebalanced to be more effective (Dragon only is effective on itself, and Ice only resists itself) before we add any more types.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
I really don't think we urgently need any new types right now, but maybe in like gen9 or something I'd like to see a new type that's weak to Dark(why did this needed to be nerfed again? It wasn't that OP to begin with) and hits Ice not very effectively.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
Years

And as for the argument of balancing the game out, because I can just see that coming up in response to that...we certainly didn't NEED fairy types as a solution to Dragon-types, just some better ice-types, or some different-type moves that were super effective against Dragons, similar to Freeze-Dry, or even some more dual-type moves that were part-Dragon. You can never truly balance a game like Pokemon, and additional types just make it more convoluted and allow for more Pokemon type-combinations that break the game - this is why we have tiers and a metagame in the first place. Introducing new types for the sake of that is counter-productive in my opinion.

I'm going to have to agree with this. If we start debating, then then can be a good argument to add many new types like Light, Sound, Bird, Plastic, Magic, Cosmic, Wind, the list goes on. The point here is that there are already 18 types out there, which is more than enough. Adding more types will make the Games more complex, so I don't really feel the need to do that. Instead, maybe have some new type combinations never done before.

But, if at all GF really feels the need to add a new type sometime in the future, just for the sake of balance, it should be something that's maybe good against Fire & Steel Types (which has too many resistances which tbh doesn't make sense), & weak to Grass & Bug Types.

Pika Pika :chu:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
Years
I don't mind seeing new types such as sound, cosmic or "crystal" (magical gemstones, branded creatures, ceramic body, pokemon made from advanced nanomaterials oh my!).

Just in case they ever wanted to extend from 18 to 19 or 20 types while keeping the type chart balanced ofc :P

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
The only type I can think of that I feel would really add fresh new design opportunities for Pokemon would be "Tech" (Technology) type. I considered Robot but I feel like Tech is broader.

With Artificial Intelligence constantly developing I think it would be an interesting angle to introduce robotic, virtual or (intentionally) "man-made" as it's own typing. It seems kinda strange to me that apparently humans were able to create the Porygon family and Magearna but they seemingly haven't progressed beyond them. (remember Magearna is supposed to be thousands of years old)

The Porygon line would be retyped to Normal/Tech and Magearna would probably become Tech/Fairy.

(and if anyone wants to mention it, I don't think the Steel typing accurately covers the concept of robots or technology. It's just a metal. It says nothing about the inner workings of a robot or it's artificial intelligence)

Last edited:

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
That's freaking clever! oO Sorry, but wow! I actually really like this thought you got there! =D Sounds are quite damaging and can leave a Pokémon in a confused state (why isn't there a deaf state where a Pokémon loses the ability to hear some attacks coming?) You really do point some things I never thought of or never heard of (like the African Elephant entries, wtf GameFreak) so I just wanted to comment on how much I like your feedback! ^^

Sorry, sorry, that was bit off topic...
Well, I could say that adding types would make the games harder because of remembering so many advantages and disadvantages, and that maybe instead of just adding types that they should flesh out those types more, like not have it so unbalanced, like how there's a few Fairy-types so far but so many Flying. I don't know... just an opinion I guess.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
Years
I also think they have a good number of types already. Just for fun I suggest an Alien type. Inspired by other planets and outer space. All must look otherworldly, like no quadrupeds try six legged forms.

LuminousWarrior

Knight In Battle Scarred Armour
Years
Well, I could say that adding types would make the games harder because of remembering so many advantages and disadvantages, and that maybe instead of just adding types that they should flesh out those types more, like not have it so unbalanced, like how there's a few Fairy-types so far but so many Flying. I don't know... just an opinion I guess.

Well, while it might be true that it would make the games more complicated, Sun and Moon added a feature that tells you if a move is super-effective on a Pokemon or not, which would counter-balance that argument. However, I agree with you on the idea that we need to flesh out the types we have. Ice and Ghost specifically need some more love. I also think that we should focus on unique type combinations as well. Give me an Electric-Ice or a Ghost-Fighting Pokemon.

Back