• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Steam Direct

Yukari

Steam Greenlight was a feature launched back in 2012 allowing developers to put games up for sale on Steam if they received enough votes from the community. Within the last year it has become rather infamous for allowing a large number of low quality games and assets flips to be released on Steam- often making it through Greenlight by offering votes for keys and making most of their money through trading cards. As of June the 6th it has been retired and tomorrow it will be replaced with Steam Direct.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's a good or bad thing for Steam overall? What are your thoughts on Steam Direct?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2017
    This topic reminds me of that particular Jim Sterling episode where he finally talks about Steam Greenlight being finally dead. Just to add some salt to the wounds, all of the games that were submitted to Greenlight were Greenlit by Valve themselves in order to not hassle over the 100 USD refund, but of course that 100 USD goes to charity. Take that into consideration. All of the games that weren't Greenlit are now ALL GREENLIT as a way of retiring Greenlight.

As for Steam Direct, Valve needs to be much more active in Quality Control which they claim as part of their promise if they don't want to have the same bulls*ht happen again. Who knows, the 100 USD Barrier from Greenlight was already something that even some talentless pieces of s**t were able to afford.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Steam Greenlight was a feature launched back in 2012 allowing developers to put games up for sale on Steam if they received enough votes from the community. Within the last year it has become rather infamous for allowing a large number of low quality games and assets flips to be released on Steam- often making it through Greenlight by offering votes for keys and making most of their money through trading cards. As of June the 6th it has been retired and tomorrow it will be replaced with Steam Direct.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it's a good or bad thing for Steam overall? What are your thoughts on Steam Direct?

Can you explain for users like myself who may not exactly know what Steam Direct is in response to Steam Greenlight?

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • http://store.steampowered.com/news/?feed=steam_blog

I guess here's the link to add.

The goal with Steam Direct is to provide an understandable and predictable path for developers from anywhere in the world to bring their games to Steam. With that in mind, we're making the process as easy and streamlined as possible. A new developer will simply need to fill out some digital paperwork, including entering bank and tax information and going through a quick identity verification process. After completing the paperwork, the developer will be asked to pay a $100 recoupable fee for each game they wish to release on Steam. This fee is returned in the payment period after the game has sold $1,000.

Additionally, valve promises to have actual quality control to check if the games that wish to be lit are suitable for selling.

Ive watched enough Jim Sterling to have a piece on Steam Direct

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Here's hoping for less trash weeaboo sex simulators and visual novel games. Make it into a fucking flash game or something just keep it off Steam.

Another goal with direct if I remember was to get an actual timeline for customers on releases. I mean look at DayZ, that's still in Alpha if I remember correctly. Less of that trash as well please.

All-in-all I hope this works out ofr the best, but I'm sure people will find a way to abuse the system for money like they always do...

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I don't even count that crap as Indie games. Keep it on P0rnhub or whatever weird hentai varients you have of it. Or at least off major marketplaces.

Make room for actual indie games. Sidescrollers, platformers, Rougelike, shooters, rpgs, hell even jrpgs are more than welcome. Or y'know, games that actual take skill to make.

I'm getting sick of seeing "Tags:Anime, Sexual Content, etc" on Steams new release page. It just looks bad and unproffesional...

Back