• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

This tree looks like it can be cut down!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
  • Hidden Machines, or HMs are they're more often called, used to be a big part of the games prior to Sun and Moon. What do you think of this mechanic? Do you want to see it back or are you glad they switched to the Ride Pager?

Spyro

[title=Free 6iv Dittos!][url=https://www.reddit.co
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2018
    I'm glad they removed HM, that mechanic is flawed to the core. It's even more infuriating that they aren't very good moves, yet you need to carry them almost all the time. You can't forget the moves because of the possibility you might get stuck somewhere, so sometimes you have to give up on a really good move.
    They did a great job with the pager in my opinion, even if I found there is too many Pokémon doing basically the same thing. It much less flawled than the mechanic it replaces, however.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I was tremendously happy when I heard that HMs being required was going away. Even in the latest games, where really only surf was required, it was kind of limiting in team building, and even nuzlockes.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I haven't played any 3DS Games yet, but removing HMs is a great idea. It was very irritating when you were required to have certain HM moves on the team, just to get/travel to another place.

Pika Pika :chu:

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    To be honest, I do miss HMs, but I know that's 100% my nostalgia. I hate having to build my team around a HM user or to have as many Pokémon in my team that can use HMs, becuase I do want to use all six slots. I only carry a HM slave with me when my designated party isn't complete yet. The pager is very convenient because it isn't in the way of my teambuilding.

However, a minor downside of the pager is that it removed the requirement to have certain types of Pokémon on my team (or Pokémon able to use specific kind of moves). My team in Moon is a bit unbalanced because of this, because I never needed a bulkier Pokémon that could use Strength.

Years
  • Nah I really hope Sun and Moon was the end of HMs altogether, they were one of the only flaws Pokemon games had imo, you were essentially forced to teach a Pokemon a move you don't want it to learn or lose a party spot for a HM slave which was really annoying in most cases. I just can't believe it took GF this long to get rid of the feature.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I would love to see them gone for good but it seems like Ride Pokémon were touted as an Alola-exclusive thing given some of the dialogue explaining them. I'm not sure we'll see HMs return when the series moves beyond Alola, but I doubt Ride Pokémon will be the norm for long.

Years
  • I never minded it too much, but I'm glad it got taken away. It was kind of flawed in the fact that some moves were terribly useless/weak. I also didn't like that they couldn't be forgotten for some reason. I hope they keep ride Pokemon or something else to not need HMs in future games.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm glad they finally did away with them. As like everyone else they were annoying and pointless.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    The only thing that annoyed me about HMs was the requirement of badges, like why would you need them in order to use this and this? As a game mechanic to stop you from going too far before completing a gym, it makes sense. But otherwise nah.

LegendChu

❤ CAREFREE, BUT CARING ❤
    Years
  • I want freedom to play the game as I wish to. Requiring to have certain badges to use HM moves like Cut, Surf before you could travel to another place was very annoying, even if it was a game mechanic to prevent you from doing so.

Pika Pika :chu:

Back