• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Game Idea] Pokémon Mystery Dungeon on the DMG or Color

Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2019
    RIytfva.png
    Mystery Dungeon had a game on the Game Boy and one on the GBC (Shiren GB and GB2) with (from what I can tell, I don't speak Japanese) almost identical gameplay to Red and Blue Rescue Team, so it's entirely possible to do. Would anybody here play it?

Last edited:
    Years
  • This is forum is for games that are not ROMs, but it is possible.

Shiuren is another franchise than pokemon, but Essentials can support a mystery dungeon game via creative manipulation of it. It will be a challenge to basically rewrite the battle code from the ground up. However you can define the strters as costumes of the MC. Essentials has a nice ranom dungeon feature, but yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of rewriting and gutting to turn your game into a PMD game whether it be a ROM or fangame.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2019
    This is forum is for games that are not ROMs, but it is possible.

Shiuren is another franchise than pokemon, but Essentials can support a mystery dungeon game via creative manipulation of it. It will be a challenge to basically rewrite the battle code from the ground up. However you can define the strters as costumes of the MC. Essentials has a nice ranom dungeon feature, but yeah, you're going to have to do a lot of rewriting and gutting to turn your game into a PMD game whether it be a ROM or fangame.
    I figured since it wasn't a ROM hack it would count as its own thing, irrespective of the platform. I'll look into it, in any case. Sounds helpful.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    I figured since it wasn't a ROM hack it would count as its own thing, irrespective of the platform.

You know, that's a really interesting question! I suppose you could justify putting it in either section.

EDIT: I would recommend that you don't try and develop a GB game from scratch unless you've got experience writing code for similar systems. Targeting the GBA is probably not too bad, but the GBC's limits add a whole other dimension of difficulty.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2019
    You know, that's a really interesting question! I suppose you could justify putting it in either section.

EDIT: I would recommend that you don't try and develop a GB game from scratch unless you've got experience writing code for similar systems. Targeting the GBA is probably not too bad, but the GBC's limits add a whole other dimension of difficulty.

I'm comfortable around C and assembly isn't too bad. And I'm already involved in a different project for old hardware. There's a C compiler for the Game Boy already, so that's one part of the equation solved. It's probably far easier than hacking Shiren, since while Shiren is a base it's also a base that's already assembled.

Last edited:
    Back