• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Chaos Rush's Custom Pokémon Sprites

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Note: I DO NOT TAKE REQUESTS.

Hello everyone. I like spriting. So I'm going to make custom front sprites for all 721 Pokémon, with some custom back sprites (these are all intended for future ROM hacks). These are all in my personal spriting style, which is similar to the style used by the Gen III Pokémon games shading-wise, but differs in the outlines (and sizes) as I like smooth outlines lol.

The sprites are meant to represent the official art drawn by Ken Sugimori, however, if the pose in the official art wouldn't work for a GBA Pokémon game, then I'll just use a different pose. And as mentioned earlier, only the front sprites are entirely custom, so just ignore the backs. Here is what

Generation I:
    Spoiler:

Generation II:
    Spoiler:

Generation III:
    Spoiler:

Generation IV:
    Spoiler:

Generation V:
    Spoiler:

Generation VI:
    Spoiler:

Mega Evolutions:
    Spoiler:

If anyone wants to use these in a ROM hack or game project, go ahead, but give me credit, and also give Ken Sugimori credit because he is an awesome artist and all of these sprites are inspired by his artwork.

All of the front sprites will be/have been done by me. The back sprites vary in source, and all credits will be given here:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    Can you take requests for trainer sprites to direct me to a thread for that? I have a request that I would really like for someone to do because I suck at spriting.

GOLDstandard

Eclectic
    Years
  • Hey Chaos Rush,

Congrats on finishing the 64x64 resource-quite a generous and very well done accomplishment. This project seems interestingly, I was wondering if there was an order in which you did the pokes. I know that you will likely not take requests, but I would be immensely happy if you started with the gen 6 sprites 650-721 as there is not yet a stable GBA resource of the Kalos dex.

Thanks and good luck!

Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    These sprites are looking fantastic, I followed the 64x64 DS-Style sprite project from the beginning and you've really come a long way. It's nice to see someone take pride in their work, it really makes a difference.

Keep up the good work.

Last edited:

Shufflejoy

Tutturu!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 13, 2015
    These sprites are wonderful, and your style is an awesome translation of the Sugimori art! The palettes are fantastic, too, and I think they fit in-game better than directly taking the colours from the art. Are they the same palettes you used for the DS Style sprite resource, or are they completely custom?

Anyway, just wanted to say that these are extremely well-done, and I'm excited to see how more of them turn out! (My favourite so far is Charmeleon. Suuuper nice.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Some more I've been working on. I haven't added these to the first post because soon I will reorganize it so that it's similar to the DS sprite project I had. Anyhow:
    UASB3rb.png

RhFfuAx.png

x0MPaeA.png

Kls9bwf.png

jPN3GxX.png

p5dduq8.png

Hey Chaos Rush,

Congrats on finishing the 64x64 resource-quite a generous and very well done accomplishment. This project seems interestingly, I was wondering if there was an order in which you did the pokes. I know that you will likely not take requests, but I would be immensely happy if you started with the gen 6 sprites 650-721 as there is not yet a stable GBA resource of the Kalos dex.

Thanks and good luck!
    Sorry, but I don't take requests. There's no set order that I'm doing these (although right now I'm focusing on Gen I); I generally do whatever I feel like. I've been doing Gen I just because I feel like it lol

These sprites are looking fantastic, I followed the 64x64 DS-Style sprite project from the beginning and you've really come a long way. It's nice to see someone take pride in their work, it really makes a difference.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks!

These sprites are wonderful, and your style is an awesome translation of the Sugimori art! The palettes are fantastic, too, and I think they fit in-game better than directly taking the colours from the art. Are they the same palettes you used for the DS Style sprite resource, or are they completely custom?

Anyway, just wanted to say that these are extremely well-done, and I'm excited to see how more of them turn out! (My favourite so far is Charmeleon. Suuuper nice.)
    The palettes are different from the DS Style project, as the DS sprites used very vibrant colors. These colors are actually directly taken from the official Sugimori art, BUT, for each shade I increased the saturation by +26 and decreased the luminosity by -10 (give or take a few depending on what looks good and what doesn't), that way the colors would be more suitable for sprites. NONE of these palettes are from the official sprites - so in that sense they are entirely custom, except not really because they're just taken from the official Sugimori art, only saturated. To make sure that my palettes are consistent from one another, I ripped all of the official art from Pokemon.com to insure that they all have the same source. One reason why I am doing this is because, even though the DS-Style Pokémon Sprite Resource is complete and all, I'm dissatisfied with it simply because no matter how well they're cleaned up, a sprite is always best when it's drawn at its original resolution. Another reason is that it's kinda obvious that Game Freak used multiple sprite artists, and while they're all great, they're not 100% consistent with one another. So I figured, I should just redraw every Pokémon from scratch. That way, they'll all be at their original resolution, AND they'll all have a consistent art style since it's all drawn by me.

The shiny palettes, however, are simply taken from B/W. I know that the GBA games had slightly different shiny palettes, but I'm using B/W shiny palettes simply because those are the only shiny palettes that the Gen IV-V Pokémon have. If I'm going to have to use B/W shiny palettes for Gen IV-V Pokémon, I might as well just use B/W shiny palettes for all of them. (And for Gen VI Pokémon, the shiny palettes will just be whatever MrDollSteak does in his DS-style Gen VI sprites)

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Another reason is that it's kinda obvious that Game Freak used multiple sprite artists, and while they're all great, they're not 100% consistent with one another. So I figured, I should just redraw every Pokémon from scratch.

Ooh someone actually realises this! +respect

Quick question though, you do everything from scratch, or do you superimpose all this on a resized artwork of Ken Sugimori? Just curious.

Kudos on shading that Charizard, by the way. It looks quite realistic and a bit 3D model-ish.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Ooh someone actually realises this! +respect

Quick question though, you do everything from scratch, or do you superimpose all this on a resized artwork of Ken Sugimori? Just curious.

Kudos on shading that Charizard, by the way. It looks quite realistic and a bit 3D model-ish.
    I do everything from scratch, but while looking at the official art as a reference. I don't directly trace over it, because that would cause certain details to be lost or to just not look as good. If you're doing a custom sprite, you're aloud to "break some rules" (compare my Charizard's wingspan to Sugimori Charizard's wing span). Also you'll notice that some of my sprites are in a completely different pose from the Sugimori art, as some Sugimori art poses just won't work sprite-wise.

Kakarot1212

Resident Programmer
    Years
  • Cool! Looks pretty nice! ^_^
    The 64x64 project is really impressive, and now this, you are really indeed a fantastic spriter. ^^

txrQP4G.png

Look how happy Venusaur is. XD

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    Then I must say impressive. And I totally agree as well. If you haven't labelled this as a resource yet, then I would suggest you take your time with the sprites lol because I don't want this to have the rush hour of the DS styled resource XD

And I must say that since you made the wingspan way smaller it focuses more on Charizard's face and things, and so you've got some nice details over there. Most impressive.

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2024
    Nice sprites you turned the official art in very good sprites.
    pouce_vert.png

Can't wait see more of your sprite work.
    Keep it up great work :)
    ~Mydrago

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    And here's Mega Venusaur, one clusterfrick of a Pokémon:
    JHnmZzU.png

As you can see, I'm really stretching the color palette to its limits lol

And here's Bergmite:
    05NT8PD.png

Credit to MrDollSteak for the back sprite that I used as a base.
    (fun fact: in his Gen VI DS sprites, he used this front sprite as a base for his)

I promise I'll re-organize the first post soon...

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    @Chaos Rush: You are my Hero! :D The Sprites get better and better and I love it, thanks man. :D

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015

I'm wondering why you kept the stomach shading consistent to the non-mega Charizard for the X mega and yet changed it for the Y mega.

Also another good job with the three megas, especially the backsprite of Mega Blastoise. Seriously, these must have taken a lot of pain to make. I like the way you managed to keep the style consistent with the normal forms, and yet give high quality 64x64 sprites. Looking forward for more. Good luck!

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 24, 2023
    Great job Chaos!

Just one thing, I don't know if it's just me but some of the sprites are .jpg?

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    I'll say this Chaosrush your Mega Blastoise backsprite turned out alot better than how I did it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    Update!
    MUJVLGR.png

yNU4y9s.png

rxTXAjW.png

I went back and made some minor changes to sprites that were previously bugging me (only the backs were changed):
    YUkhLnc.png

1QjSKMC.png

EDIT: I previously posted a Gengar sprite that I took down, and now I have "finished" it (aka editing the eyes so its more suitable in-battle):
    12jC5MC.png

aand I made Mega Gengar:
    wKUfDKW.png

I tried to get the shiny sprite as clean as possible but it's just not going to get any better without downgrading the quality of the normal-colored sprite, due to the 16-color limit...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 9, 2023
    More sprites!
    5IPBgtW.png

xXZvyJT.png

Credit to MrDollSteak for the base of the back sprite for Bunnelby.

871Y9cB.png

LSPzCU6.png

I had the most fun making Sceptile.

Last edited:
    Back