• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

why are some teenagers so rude ?

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
Years
Why are some teenagers so rude ?

I was waiting at the bus stop with my three-year old so we could go home.. Now this 15/16 year old started swearing when chatting to them friends. I asked them to mind their language as I have a young daughter with me. Them told me to get lost ( they actually swore). I then walked home with my daughter because I did not want her to pick up their dirty language.

Why are some teenagers so rude is all I want to know

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
The world today took a dive in proper upbringings, and today's children grow up way too fast. Its also good to note that its not all teenagers, but likely teenager's born after 97. They grew up with a whole lot more then anyone born before 97, a lot more spoiled, and technology allowed them to learn more then they should have at certain ages. Usually you get a phone at 12-13, and now its more like 7-8, and what do they get off the bat? An iPhone. It sets the precedent that they feel more entitled then they should be, which gives them the air of being nothing but rude. Society has also allowed consequential actions to be more tolerated, as kids today need to apparently be protected from any scolding lest they turn out to be rapers and murderers. Its sickening really.

Sirius

Wrong Thread.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 22, 2013
It's not just teenagers, it's most people now. I know plenty of people twice that age that swear like that usually. I personally don't have a problem with it as it's just words and have no affect on how I live my life.

Years
Because teenagers. Are teenagers. They're still learning to be adults. Until someone hits their early to mid twenties, they're essentially nothing more than taller children. Growing up is a sloooow process and it takes some people longer than others to learn what is and isn't appropriate.

Guy

just a guy
Years
Because teenagers. Are teenagers. They're still learning to be adults. Until someone hits their early to mid twenties, they're essentially nothing more than taller children. Growing up is a sloooow process and it takes some people longer than others to learn what is and isn't appropriate.
Unfortunately, some teenagers today like to act as though they're older and more mature than they actually are. Then when they finally grow up they either never change or the harsh world or reality finally catches up on them.

A big part of this, however, falls back to the parents and whether or not they're actually doing their job as parents. You know, the parenting part. Some parents see their kids acting rude publicly and choose to ignore it while others will act upon it and straighten their kid out.

There's also the fact that teenagers today are much more open to the world through the internet, television and social media, that they absorb and like to mimic what other people do. It's basically a game of monkey see, monkey do. They'll see their favorite celebrities do something inappropriate, the public will spoof it, and then they'll think it's totally acceptable to do themselves. Where this once fell more on mimicking the action's of one's parents, it's much more open to the world now.

Not all teenagers grow up to be like this, but because those that do are seen as a more vocal group of kids, the world sees them as so more than the teenagers who act their age and do what they should be doing at such an age.

It's a very sad story in a very sad world, unfortunately.

Years
I see younger generations and I weep for the future. But it all really boils down to the fact that A, you're still a kid, B, mommy and daddy coddled you too much, and C, those hormones are raging at that age. They'll figure it all out eventually, it's something most people grow out of it after a few years.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
Kids these days are so spoiled. They get so much stuff from their parents. My parents still say no to things I want. These kids' parents let their kids walk all over them. I didn't get a phone until I was 18, since I don't go out often. But now kids a third of my age have phones.

They grow up way too fast too. These kids are often through with playing with toys when they are 8 years old. I played with toys until I was well into middle school. And speeaking of toys, the kids get too many when they're little. My little cousins have way too many toys. They are not that bad, but still...

I guess from what Elendil said...maybe it wasn't that bad that I got scolded a lot (still do, actually). Many parents these days are afraid to punish their kids.

There have always been bratty, disrespectful kids and teenagers, but I feel like it's worse than ever. Of course, you shouldn't blame the kids. Blame the parents. But then again, so many parents refuse to accept responsibility - they look for something else to blame. For example, if a parent complains that their 10-year-old daughter dresses like Britney Spears and swears like a sailor, I'd most likely place the blame on the parent. It's their fault for letting her buy clothes that show a lot and allowing her to watch movies and TV shows with lots of swearing.

Last edited:

Sean

Years
Way too much judgement have clouded your opinions in this thread, imo.

Swearing is not bad at all, it's only bad if its done excessively. I don't know why people get offended by swearing so easily, it's just language, and it's only generally offensive if you use it in an abusive sort of way, which the OP pointed out, THAT sort of swearing is wrong.

Just because your own parents do not allow you to do things, does not mean other parents cannot. Other parents may want their children to grow up faster and younger, so they mature much more and realize their mistakes much younger, rather than being too late. Most people have a mobile at this age because you need a mobile to communicate with people, and it's how you keep in touch; e.g. Kid goes to school, parent needs to contact to ensure they know if the parent can't pick them up, blabla.

Teenagers want to be left alone, they're rude because they get prejudged so much by society, which is perfectly pointed out in this thread, you're already generalizing teenagers to all be rude, but really, they aren't. A lot of young adults are like teenagers.

Years
There are so many things to say about this, about perceptions and assumptions, but to keep it short I'll just add that:

1) We tend to remember those instances and events that stand out to us (a.k.a. the times when someone is rude to us) and not the times where nothing special happens.

2) Teenagers have a reputation (valid or not) for being immature/disrespectful/etc. They always have. When your parents were teenagers their own parents thought teenagers were rude.

Basically, you'll remember when someone is rude, and you'll especially remember when a teenager is rude because that fits in with a common assumption. If a grown adult is rude to you, you'll probably think they're just a rude person, but when a teenager is rude you think it's because they're a teenager.

All this isn't to say that there aren't people who genuinely encounter lots of rude kids and polite adults, but we have biases and we should note that.

Toutebelle

Banned
Years
It's true that society hates young people. I've actually known adults who scoff at teenagers, and fail to realize that they were teenagers themselves at one point.

What's even worse is that the marketing to teenagers can reinforce these stereotypes. These people seem to believe that all teenage boys curse excessively and love violence and that all teenage girls are attention ****** who complain about everything.

I hated being a teenager. I was absolutely miserable, and I almost got to the point of being clinically depressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

droomph

weeb
Years
Teenagers aren't rude. Many teenagers are nice and courteous, for example, on here. It's the ones who haven't matured, or haven't been raised right (though it's more often he former), that behave badly.

Puberty does many things to your body, and those changes can make you a little short-tempered.

Not to say that it's completely okay to be a huge dildo to everyone you meet, but just know that they have a little harder time keeping their emotions under control.

Also, swearing isn't bad when used without context.

Non-swearing can be just as offensive, if you use it right (or rather, wrong).

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
I tell ya - dem young whippersnappers these days ain't got no respect for no-how, no-thing. They just gon' go 'round blastin' dem there bad music an' talkin' all in rude speak an' such. Ain't nothin' like back in mah time. Back in mah day we had dem fancy UNSPOILED kids who ain't got no things but dem there sticks for stickball and sometimes even a ball. Boy howdy, we was a blessed bunch if we got our mitts on a ball! Not like dem kids nowadays wit dem fancy eye-Dods an' pocket phones! Ungrateful lil hooligans I tell ya hwat!

But seriously, everyone's got a bone to pick with SOME part of society. Elderly people are rude too. Holy crap, are they rude. This old lady jabbed me with her cart in the store and told me to hurry the [rather racist expletive that I've never heard before] up when I stopped to buy some salsa. Neil Cavuto's rude as well and he's pretty past his prime. Rudeness isn't limited to a specific group. Everyone's got the potential to be rude rude. It's got nothing to do with how spoiled someone is or how they were raised - we can all be jerks. Factors like having a bad day can turn a nice person into a foul-mouthed little heathen in a heartbeat.

Years
I just turned 13 on January 28th and I try to be as polite as I can to Family members to complete strangers! The thing is, like you said, 7 year olds are getting Ipad/iphones for no reason.... I'm 13 and I have a flip phone that isn't even turned on currently! I had to earn the money myself to get my 3ds by washing and putting away clothes and BAKING BROWNIES!!! and i'm a guy... Also, teenagers are trying to be cool when acting like that but it makes them look really bad... Our economy isn't the only reason half the people can't get a job in the USA it's the stupid people failing background checks and keeping their license suspended... I worry what people will be like if I live to be about... 80. I worry for the kids that I think are my friends until I see something bad on their computer screen while looking up Pokemon on Serebii. I'm going to stop here so you can blink now!

pleb

Banned
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Dec 1, 2014
Alot of teenagers think they're awesome if they swear. Maybe it's because they're chafs.

Aeon.

Carrion
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jun 22, 2016
This is nothing new. An adult from 20-30 years ago would think teenagers at that time were rude and immature. Teenagers are some in the center of the transition of a new culture, and thus what is unacceptable to us is a different thing for them. Flip phones were the rage in the culture I grew up in up until the iPhone came out, and nowadays smartphones are all the rage... I don't see this as any different in the roots of it all.

I'm not trying to double-standard though, my sector of the generation that is on its way into adulthood has its quirks too, and so do the generation of my parents and their parents.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
LOL. all you 22 year olds bashing on the 17 year olds. but really, you shouldn't be acting this way towards all of them. you really don't realize how many are model citizens, you just look right past them because they're normal and get mad at the bad ones. if we're using this logic, we might as well throw all of you in jail because several people your age have murdered someone. i have to deal with way to many people that judge me before they even know me daily.

ya know most of the bad words people are using used to be normal words, it wasn't until teens and people of a different race started using them that everyone started saying they're now bad. the b word is just a word for female dog, nothing more. the n one means ignorant. d and h i don't even get. its a place and a word similar to forsaken. i do get that that overuse them sometimes like saying "thats ******* stupid!" but some words are necessary for talking. try this: go the whole week without saying hello, hi, goodbye, bye, computer, internet, wifi, work, stupid, pokemon, lunch or home. they are all bad words for the week. let me know how that turns out.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Why are some teenagers so rude is all I want to know

It's because of one thing & one thing only: They think that they're immortal. Most teens believe that no harm can ever befall onto themselves, physical or otherwise. Once they realize that this is not the case, that's when they can start shaping up to be real adults.

What else do I need to say?

Reb0rn

Son of a Plunder
Years
You call it rude, we call it indirectly crying out for attention. Or just plain bad parenting.

Back