• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Shin Pokemon Red/Blue/Green/JP builds (Bugfix, AI, and QoL patch)

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    The next version will include a toggle in the option menu to render overworld movement at 60fps. Doesn't make you faster, but it does make things scroll somewhat smoother. Personally, I can only really tell the difference on an LCD screen. Some people are really into this kinda thing though, and I was interested in seeing if I could do it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2023
    Many thanks Jojo for this rom hack. It is the best there is for Red. Two times completed already, a true pleasure, the exact update the original game needed. Spreading the hack around me because it so good. ❤️

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Hey Jojobear13 can you add Surf to Pikachu/Raichu's learnset

I'll think about it. I'm not keen on just adding it to the HM learn-list. Surfing pikachu is supposed to be a special reward from Stadium, and that I'd rather not undermine that by just offering it up without a challenge. I would likely make it some kind of secret post-game quest.

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Hi again,

@jojobear13 In the past, you've mentioned the possibility of creating jp-red and jp-blue branches. Would these include metric units? Is this even doable?

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Hi again,

@jojobear13 In the past, you've mentioned the possibility of creating jp-red and jp-blue branches. Would these include metric units? Is this even doable?

It's doable. Just need to manually convert all the weights and heights.

Not in a rush to do jp red and blue. Don't want to step on MoriyaFaith's toes.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    So here's something to think about. I was watching some Pikasprey videos on youtube, and one of them kinda stuck with me. It covered a scenario where you just get stuck in a battle with Lorelei that just won't end. You're trapped in a near-unending cycle of being unable to KO her dewgong.

I thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if you could just forfeit the match?" After a bit of trial and error I ended up working this into shinpokered master_dev branch. When in a battle with an AI trainer, holding SELECT while choosing to RUN will prompt you to forfeit. Choosing YES will initiate a blackout.

I'm not entirely sure what purpose this could serve. Maybe some kind of nuzlocke variant. Either way, I just think it's neat. It'll show up when I put out v1.21, which I should just get off my butt and do already

Years
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    So here's something to think about. I was watching some Pikasprey videos on youtube, and one of them kinda stuck with me. It covered a scenario where you just get stuck in a battle with Lorelei that just won't end. You're trapped in a near-unending cycle of being unable to KO her dewgong.

I thought, "Wouldn't it be neat if you could just forfeit the match?" After a bit of trial and error I ended up working this into shinpokered master_dev branch. When in a battle with an AI trainer, holding SELECT while choosing to RUN will prompt you to forfeit. Choosing YES will initiate a blackout.

I'm not entirely sure what purpose this could serve. Maybe some kind of nuzlocke variant. Either way, I just think it's neat. It'll show up when I put out v1.21, which I should just get off my butt and do already

I saw that same video a while back. I think you'd almost have to force that scenario to happen to actually run into it. I do like the idea though.

I'm still playing off and on, I really enjoy that feature where one of the Aides can toggle the trainers to be of level with your own. I was curious though, would there ever be a case where it lowers the AI's levels if you are a lower level than their original team?

Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    just checking in on progress love the work you have made! one day in the future shin pokemon yellow yeah that will be a thing no doubt great work with green btw and years later shin pokemon gold silver and crystal man that will be something else ha ha need time machine .... Bill get in here ! lmao

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Finally got around to uploading the patches for version 1.21! Fingers crossed I won't have to release a hotfix for some silly oversight.

A few new features I want to highlight with this patch. First is that there is now a gamma shader that will do color correction if you play in GBC mode on a backlit LCD (phone, GBA SP, etc). Press SELECT on the copyright info screen right when you boot up to activate it. You'll notice the colors aren't as saturated.

Secondly, there's a 60 FPS mode that I made as a proof of concept. It's kinda rusty, but it works. Toggle it by placing the cursor over CANCEL in the options menu and pressing left or right. I've been meaning to write a report in the ASM forum on how I did it, but I'll get around to it eventually.

Thirdly is that I did some re-jiggering of the AI. Switching now scans your active mon's moves and takes those into account for scoring. Use of explosion moves will be less likely if the enemy mon has more HP. More aggressive attacking has been moved to AI layer 1 which applies to most trainers.

These next two things are only in the master branch. Fourthly is the ability to forfeit a match as I posted about earlier. And fifthly, by special request and also only in the master branch, is the ability for pikachu to learn Surf. If you win the SS Anne post-game tournament with a pikachu in your team, that pikachu's catch rate will change to 168. Pikachus with a 168 catch rate are allowed to be taught the Surf HM. If transferred to/from Gen 2 with the time capsule, this catch rate value corresponds to holding a Gorgeous Box.

Anyway, here is the the full changelog:

Master Branch v1.21
    #Hack-Induced Bugfixes & Adjustments since last version:
    -----------
    - Fixed the fossil kabutops image not appearing properly
    - On battle load, stopped the GBC GBPal from updating before graphics are in the right position
    - Fixed some issues where npcs that appear on screen are looking down for 1 frame
    - Fixed some menu screen flicker
    - All four trade evolutions are now standardized to evolve at level 45
    - Fixed issue where paralyzed enemies might move first
    - Safari zone "ran away" math is adjusted to be more accurate (level*1 changes to level*1.5 as the base value used)

#New features & adjustments since last version:
    -----------
    - Added built-in gamma shader for backlit LCD screens (press SELECT at the copyright screen)
    - Added nop after halt commands (safety prevention for a rare processor bug)
    - Added an option to make the overworld run in 60fps (feature is still a bit rusty)
    - Streamlined how the ghost marowak battle is triggered (now allows for non-ghost marowaks in pokemon tower)
    - Fixed a coordinate typo in pokemon tower left by gamefreak
    - Fixed wrong crit damage for lvl > 127
    - Rearranged some stuff with trainer AI
    - Trainer AI layer settings have been completely redone
    - Gave AI some guidance on explosion effects
    - Slight additions to explodo-mon movesets to play nicer with AI at higer levels
    - Rearranged trainer AI and moved more agressive move use to AI layer 1 (all trainers except Cueball and Youngster)
    - If SS Anne is skipped and the pokemon tower rival battle is initiated, the SS Anne rival battle is deactivated
    - Switching AI now scores against all player mon moves
    - Winning the SS Anne tournament with a pikachu in the party will set its catch rate to 168
    - In this rom hack, a pikachu with this catch rate can be taught Surf via HM
    - This catch rate makes it hold a gorgeous box if transferred to Gen 2
    - If case of multiple pikachus, only the first in the roster will be affected
    - Likewise, a pikachu holding a gorgeous box can learn surf if transferred into this rom hack
    - Added ability to forfeit trainer battles
    - The RNG state when the game is booted is initialized to a random number

Lite Branch v1.21
    #Latest Fixes (most recent ips patch):
    ---------------
    - Added built-in gamma shader for backlit LCD screens (press SELECT at the copyright screen)
    - On battle load, stopped the GBC GBPal from updating before graphics are in the right position
    - Fixed some issues where npcs that appear on screen are looking down for 1 frame
    - Fixed some menu screen flicker
    - Added nop after halt commands (safety prevention for a rare processor bug)
    - Added an option to make the overworld run in 60fps
    - Feature is a proof-of-concept and is still a bit rusty
    - Toggle by placing the cursor in the options screen over CANCEL and pressing left or right
    - Fixed issue where paralyzed enemies might move first
    - Rearranged some stuff with trainer AI
    - Gave AI some guidance on explosion effects
    - Rearranged trainer AI and moved more agressive move use to AI layer 1 (all trainers except Cueball and Youngster)
    - Fixed a coordinate typo in pokemon tower left by gamefreak
    - Trainer AI layer settings have been completely redone
    - Switching AI now scores against all player mon moves
    - Fixed wrong crit damage for lvl > 127
    - Initialize RNG with random seed

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2023
    Love this hack! I dislike playing Gen 1 games because of all the glitches but your fixes make it enjoyable for me. Also to note, your hack is still true to the original games so it doesn't feel like I'm playing a completely different game. Currently I'm using your hacks to do a solo run with every Pokemon. Question: Did you have any plans to do a similar hack for Gen 2 games? I really hope you do because they would definitely benefit from your tweaks.

Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Love this hack! I dislike playing Gen 1 games because of all the glitches but your fixes make it enjoyable for me. Also to note, your hack is still true to the original games so it doesn't feel like I'm playing a completely different game. Currently I'm using your hacks to do a solo run with every Pokemon. Question: Did you have any plans to do a similar hack for Gen 2 games? I really hope you do because they would definitely benefit from your tweaks.

Shin Crystal is just a bunch of spreadsheets and notes for the foreseeable future. If I ever do it, I will do some things different from Shin Red in terms of species allocation, regional availability, level-up movesets, as well as tweaking some story beats.

Perfect Crystal 2020 update exists, so I don't want to just redo everything it already does. Though I suggest giving that one a spin.

Years
  • so far so good with the 1.21 release of shin pokemon red/blue/green 😃
    no problems to report for this new version; barely finished all 3 games.
    all that's left for me to do is to participate in the tournament battles in ss anne and in one of the underground paths

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2023
    Shin Crystal is just a bunch of spreadsheets and notes for the foreseeable future. If I ever do it, I will do some things different from Shin Red in terms of species allocation, regional availability, level-up movesets, as well as tweaking some story beats.

Perfect Crystal 2020 update exists, so I don't want to just redo everything it already does. Though I suggest giving that one a spin.

Thank you for replying and I do hope you do make it. I did enjoy how you implemented the option to scale trainers' Pokemon in Shin Red/Blue/Green. I have downloaded Perfect Crystal but haven't tried it out as of yet because I wasn't sure if it made the gym leaders more difficult (cuz the first 2 gyms are really easy) or if the level scaling was better but I'll definitely check it out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 15, 2021
    I found a potentially weird bug. My butterfree leveled up to 21 off screen (I had a spearow out) and tried to learn supersonic. No matter what I chose, it won't let me proceed. Whether I attempt to learn the move or try to abandon learning it, it just repeats the question (no combination of yes/no to the two questions works). I can upload my save file if you're unable to replicate the problem.

Back