• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do people... betray each other?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • Virtue's_Last_Reward_3DS_Boxart.jpg
    999_Cover_Art.jpg

For those who got the thread name, I applaud to you and welcome you to thread about one of the most awesome games in my opinion, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and its prequel 9 Hours 9 Persons 9 Doors.

Do you know the games? Have you played it? Have you played the prequel?
    Have you finished any of those games yet?
    Who are you favorite characters? Were you surprised with the plot?
    Discuss.

For me, those games are probably the most influential games I have ever played...
    I even bought PS Vita because I found out that VLR is right now on PS+ =D
    I already finished 999 and I've been playing VLR for 20 hours and only got Dio's character ending but I'm really close to clearing the flow chart :D

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I've played the demo of Virtue's Last Reward on my 3DS and was quite intrigued, although it didn't feel like it would complete my gaming life. Definitely considering saving up for it though.

However, my main issue is that 999 was never released in Europe, so I might find some parts of this confusing.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Oh, glad to see a thread on this :D

I've expressed my thoughts on the game in the "Last Game You Completed" thread.
    I just finished Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward and...
    ...Dear God. Know that there is no exaggeration in my words when I say that everybody, and I mean EVERY SINGLE PERSON needs to play that masterpiece of a game. There is no game out there that can match VLR in terms of storytelling...just....

The game's left me speechless. It's an incredible game, and if I were to give it a rating, it'd be a 9.75 out of 10. Buy it, just buy it.

[In response to someone saying that they couldn't see it being better than 999] That's what I said before playing it, I didn't think it could surpass the original...

But it did. Oh God, it did. The characters, the story, the music, the graphics...they all just take dramatic leaps. Given the length of the game in comparison to 999, VLR has a lot more time to craft its story and its characters, as well as its shocks and its twists, and it does. All of it is intelligently planned to lay out what I can [say] without a doubt is the best story I've ever seen in any game I've played.

This one also employs a lot more choice than 999, and because of how it crafts its world, you as a person will feel the weight behind each action on an emotional level. Basically I have this to say: if you liked 999, you will LOVE VLR. I can't guarantee it, but I don't see the contrary being the case.

It's easily up there in my top 10, maybe top 15 games of all time. The game gave you enough information to figure out the plot far before things are actually revealed, but at the same time it gave you little enough to shock you with various twists and outcomes, and very few things are obvious, they require some thought by the player to figure out and predict, and that's what makes the game so engaging. Then there's the sort of "I know something you don't" feeling you get when going to other parts of the flowchart after having beaten the game or played past those points in other timelines, and the way its employed is ingenious.

Hm...as far as favorite characters go, I'd probably say K. He's so original in how he can speak so politely but still be so unpredictable in his actions, made even more effective due to the mask and the air of mystery around him.

EDIT: Wait, what am I saying? My favorite character is without a doubt Zero Jr. He's incredibly enjoyable any time he's on screen, and with the writing and the dub of the translation and the work of the voice actress, I anticipated his return every time he went away. I don't think anyone in that game grasped me as much as Zero Jr., with his puns, personality, and performance.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    DIE Team Fail

Actually, I've seen these games before... I was interested in getting them but I haven't. I don't know why, I guess it's lazyness and lack of reviews that I've read on them. I'll look into them again. *scribbles onto my long list of video games I need to get*

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • @Retro Bug: Get them... it's totally worth it.
    @Team Fail: Go for it! 999 can be finished pretty quickly, you should save time for VLR :)
    @machomuu: Yeah, Zero-usagi is awesome character :D
    I love his "AMBIDEEEEEEEEEEX GAAAAAAAME" :D

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • I love both of these, they're both underappreciated gems.
    Actually I don't think I've played any game with a more intense storyline (line?) than that of Virtue's Last Reward. Everything from the music to the characters to the awesome concept of the Nonary and AB games make for a very eerie, immersive and paranoia-inducing experience... The atmosphere is awesome.

Hmm, no character in particular stand out as a favourite of mine, I guess Santa from 999 if I had to pick. I like all of them. Clover was really cute in 999 but I didn't like the change she underwent between the games.
    Did the plot surprise me? Without spoiling anything... Ehm, YES. ^^

I can't wait for the next installment. ^^

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • I love both Yotsubas =D
    She's by far my favorite character =)
    I do agree that the change she underwent from 999 to VLR was drastic, but it made her even more cute :D

I like the younger, more innocent version of her... :3

Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere. They should have listened to this advice. ^^

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I really loved 999. I played it at the end of May last year and had tons of fun playing it. Though I'll admit, I gave up in the middle and just looked up youtube for the safe ending and true ending because I felt everything got tedious.

It's a great visual novel though. It had an atmosphere like no other and it really made sure I follow through the story. The characters had excellent development and are all different enough to...not trust them for the most part. My favorite character was Snake, because he was the only one sane enough to trust and accompanying him made me feel easy. He was the only character that I was SURE to trust. An elegant blind person in general is a pretty neat idea anyway. The other is Seven because of how lovable he is, and how badass he was at the end.

Sadly, I'm not a big fan of the true ending though.
    Spoiler:

That said I never played Virtue's Last Reward but I plan to. I liked the demo enough to consider buying it but right now I have other priorities. God knows when I'll play it and I have a feeling it won't be this year.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Elapsam semel occasionem non ipse potest Iuppiter reprehendere. They should have listened to this advice. ^^
    On the other hand... Memento mori =)
    Better try everything you want before you die :)
    Well... It's Yotsuba :D I simply cannot resist loving her :D

@Spinosaurus: That's a shame... the best thing about these games is to enjoy endings by playing it :)

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • On the other hand... Memento mori =)
    Better try everything you want before you die :)
    Well... It's Yotsuba :D I simply cannot resist loving her :D

@Spinosaurus: That's a shame... the best thing about these games is to enjoy endings by playing it :)

Yeah when I think about it, that quote actually favours taking chances over not taking chances. And now I feel stupid for misusing it... >.>

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I like the younger, more innocent version of her... :3
    I really liked her in 999, but then...Wendee Lee happened in VLR. Why, Aksys? Just...why? The rest of the dub is so good, with Liam O'Brien as Dio and Laura Bailey as Luna, but...it actually got to the point where, when there were few enough characters with me at any given time (and she was one of them), I would change to the Japanese VAs.

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • I really liked her in 999, but then...Wendee Lee happened in VLR. Why, Aksys? Just...why? The rest of the dub is so good, with Liam O'Brien as Dio and Laura Bailey as Luna, but...it actually got to the point where, when there were few enough characters with me at any given time (and she was one of them), I would change to the Japanese VAs.

I played the european version which didn't include the dub, and I didn't mind much either as I usually pick japanese anyway. ... But Liam O'Brien voiced Dio!!? Now I feel a little robbed. >.<

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I played the european version which didn't include the dub, and I didn't mind much either as I usually pick japanese anyway. ... But Liam O'Brien voiced Dio!!? Now I feel a little robbed. >.<
    Me too and I'm overjoyed that I did not have to hear English voices.
    Even only Mamiko Nono would be the reason to have Japanese voices but with Rie Kugumiya... there was no way I would have anything else that Japanese audio.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I actually really liked the dub, especially because a lot of the puns in the English version (such as pretty much anything uttered by Zero Jr.) are not present in the Japanese version, and since the game has an impeccable translation and, well, because Zero Jr.'s dub VA adds so much to the character and easily making him my favorite (as well as the fact that it has Liam O' Brien and Laura Bailey, among others), I only used the Japanese VAs in case of Wendee Lee.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I actually really liked the dub, especially because a lot of the puns in the English version (such as pretty much anything uttered by Zero Jr.) are not present in the Japanese version, and since the game has an impeccable translation and, well, because Zero Jr.'s dub VA adds so much to the character and easily making him my favorite (as well as the fact that it has Liam O' Brien and Laura Bailey, among others), I only used the Japanese VAs in case of Wendee Lee.
    Well... those puns were just a way how to deal with -usa / -nya end add-ons in case of Zero III and Sigma =D
    In reality (which is the Japanese dub :D) they speak normally and just add -usa (from usagi = rabbit)/ -nya (neko = cat voice) =D

But yeah, I gotta say I love those puns, there were purrfectly placed :D

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • How is your play time, guys?

I have 40 hours in Virtue's Last Reward and I finished it in 6 days after I got it from PS+ with going to school :D

Since 999 has no time in its save file, I'll say... 9 hours xD xD

Cassiopeiia

Floating
    Years
  • I completed it in 45 hours, which is, from what I gather, way slower than average. I didn't have a very hard time with the puzzles though, in fact I found them all to be just the right difficulty, they were challenging, creative, fun and felt rewarding. The reason I spent that much time, I think, is becuse I sometimes replayed more than necessary in order to make things a little less confusing. ^~^
    Also, I always waited for the characters to be done talking before I proceeded to the next speech-bubble, even though I had already read it all.

I don't know about 999, perhaps 15 hours?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Also, I always waited for the characters to be done talking before I proceeded to the next speech-bubble, even though I had already read it all.
    Exactly my case =D
    In my case, I was raging at the translations, though... :D

45 hours is only slightly above average.
    VLR has 30-50 hours approximate gameplay so you are still good =D

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • For those who already finished the game, what did you miss in storyline or gameplay aspects? =)
    If you talk about storyline, please use spoiler =)

Spoiler:

Back