• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Six-Winged Angel

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
Years
  • The Six-Winged Angel

Greetings. I'm known around here as Alex, and I've been a small-time but well-versed ROM hacker lurking these forums for years. After stagnation in my inspiration due to numerous roadblocks, I decided to found a team for GBA ROM hacking projects, called the Six-Winged Angel. The name represents the six positions available on the team—one wing per person—to symbolize dependency on teamwork. We use a CMS to hold our project archive, which is hosted on my private server called Thunderbolt Networks. Later on I hope to set up a single forum on the network's board for collaboration purposes between members of our team.

I hope to decide along with the team members the specifications of our first project. So, if you'd like to help and want to be in on the decision, apply with the form below. Once you're accepted you'll get an account login for the project hub, and put in the developers list. All projects are agreed upon by the team, and for the team; ROM bases, hack names, etc are all communally discussed in this thread.

Current Project

We have yet to decide on a project.

Past Projects

None as of yet~

The Six "Wings"

Project Mapper

The Project Mapper (PM) is the main technician regarding mapping, and works diligently to create a beautiful thing. He/she also works in conjunction with the Project Spriter (PSp) on developing tilesets for the overworld.

Project Scripter: [supporter]AlexTheRose[/supporter]

The Project Scripter (PSc) is in charge of writing the scripts and inserting them into the ROM, as well as fixing their pointers in AdvanceMap (which is independent of the Mappers' work). The PS also works very closely with the Project Assembler (PA) on inserting assembly code into the ROM.

Project Spriter

The Project Spriter (PSp) is responsible for creating and designing all levels of sprites, as well as properly inserting them into the ROM. The PSp (as mentioned before) works with the Mappers to cleanly insert overworld tilesets. People applying for this position must have at least a modest collection of their graphic work to show and must also know how to insert such data into the ROM on a basic level.

Project Sap

This dev is in charge of inserting MIDI music data (not cries) into the ROM, as well as gathering and presenting additional songs to be inserted into the game. Because this is such an extensive and knowledge-rooted position, a lengthy amount of experience and resumé is required to become this. The name "Sap" comes from Sappy, a program used for inserting music data into GBA ROMs.

Project Assembler

The Project Assembler (PA) is the most integral part of the dev team, since he/she is in charge of writing assembly (ASM) code to be interpreted by the GBA's ARM processor. Individuals applying for this position must have proof that they know how to write assembly code, with examples specifically for ROM hacks.

Project Jack

The Project Jack, short for Jack of all Trades, is the sort of catch-all position; because of this, it has a few requirements. To be the Jack, you must know how to (1) cleanly insert title screens in both Ruby and FireRed, (2) know how to insert cries in R/FR, and (3) know a little bit about mapping and scripting to be able to temporarily take charge of those positions in their dev's absence.

Project Management

Our project is managed on a Joomla CMS at http://dev.pokesphere.net/. Those on the team will have access to the project files there; there is a method for handling ROM modifications, detailed below. Do not upload ROM files anywhere, period.

Note: All ideas and implementations will still be discussed in this thread. The dev hub at Thunderbolt Networks is merely a host for our project, as well as meta information regarding the use of the files.

Modification Procedure

1. Make sure no one else on the team is currently modifying it. If someone is using it, the CMS index will say that they are currently modifying it. If no one's got dibs at the moment, MAKE SURE you update the index page saying you're currently using it. We can't have file conflicts now, can we?
    2. Download the latest development patch. This can be found in the files section, and be sure you select the latest.
    3. After you're finished, upload the new patch. Also, be sure that you're incrementing the build version in the filename (major.minor.release.build). For instance, if the version you downloaded was 1.2.24.210, you would upload your new one as 1.2.24.211.
    4. Remove your using message from the index. Now that it's uploaded and available to modify, you can safely delete your using message from the index.

Notes on Modifications

• Be fair and courteous with the dev time. Don't hog the file from the other members, as that could get you kicked off the team for counterproductivity. Also, don't fight over it, either. Like, really.
    • Upload any dependencies that go with your modification. This includes decompiled scripts, inserted bitmaps, .midi/.s music files, and basically any data in file form that gets compiled into the ROM. Also, if you modified project.inf or project.ini (e.g. if you used a new flag in the game), you need to upload that too.

Project Structure

There has to be a standardized structure for our projects in order to maintain conformity and interoperability; this is the file structure for all our projects. All projects are contained in a .zip archive, and are repacked and uploaded with each new build.

Code:
    [div=font-family:Consolas;font-size:10pt;]/
        scripts (Directory)
            [all script files, decompiled into text]
        images (Directory)
            [all image data for the ROM as .dib files (not .bmp or any other format)]
        media (Directory)
            [all general project media files - support banners, screenshots, videos (must be in .png/.avi format)]
        sound (Directory)
            [all .s music files]
            [all .midi music files]
        releases (Directory)
            [all .ips release patches]
            [all .ups release patches]
            [all .aps release patches]
        builds (Directory)
            [ALL builds, as UPS patches]
        save_states (Directory)
            [all VBA save states, preferrably at the end of each release]
            (format: "[i]x.x.x.x[/i].sgm")
        project.inf
        project.ups
        project.ini[/div]

project.inf

This is a basic Setup Information file that contains constantuous notes regarding the project. Information such as the ROM base, hack name, language, and current hack version are stored here. When making a new build, be sure to increment the build version in this file. This file uses the Windows/DOS INI format.

project.ups

This file is the latest build for use by the team. Even if our ROM is 16 MB this file must be a UPS patch to enable patching reversal.

project.ini

This is the project notes file. It is an INI format file that contains all of the important bits of information we use continously. Things to put in here would be used flags, used variables, important script offsets, and offsets to important modified data (like the titlescreen).

Positions List

• Project Mapper: Vacant
    • Project Scripter: [supporter]AlexTheRose[/supporter] (Founder)
    • Project Spriter: Vacant
    • Project Sap: Vacant
    • Project Assembler: Vacant
    • Project Jack: Vacant

Application to Join

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2021
    General Information

Nickname/Preferred Name: Sp1at
    Time Zone: Mountain
    Desired Position: Mapping

Experience/Works (Required)

Year started ROM hacking: 2014
    Skillset: none at the moment
    List of experience: none, But during the process of getting a full team I will be working on learning how to map and everything. I pick things up quickly so it shouldn't be hard.

I know your probably gonna facepalm when you see that I've never actually mapped before, but I'll be reading up on all the works and making maps in the process well your team signs up. but it'll be totally fine if you don't let me join in.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • General Information

Nickname/Preferred Name: Sp1at
    Time Zone: Mountain
    Desired Position: Mapping

Experience/Works (Required)

Year started ROM hacking: 2014
    Skillset: none at the moment
    List of experience: none, But during the process of getting a full team I will be working on learning how to map and everything. I pick things up quickly so it shouldn't be hard.

I know your probably gonna facepalm when you see that I've never actually mapped before, but I'll be reading up on all the works and making maps in the process well your team signs up. but it'll be totally fine if you don't let me join in.

Get started mapping and show me some of your work, then repost your submission here with the maps attached.

Back