• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] ~>{*Shiny Hunters Club}<~

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
Ok now I definantly got my next targets, anyone who was active when I first joined, or if you root through the thread for my first posts, knows that of the many shinies I've accumulated since second gen only 2 have ever escaped my grasp:

Croagunk and Quagsire, both in the Great March of this gen

I am now breeding for them to redeem myself and to get my first hatched shinies, after croagunk, you're next wooper you creepy little mudfish thing

Now that i'm after ones that got away I'm thinking about oging for the ones I had second gen that are sadly gone now. This could be a big project for me,I could get back my:

Miltank
Raticate
Beedrill
Seaking
Tauros

Last edited:

Kishu Inu

Pokemon Breeder
Years
Good luck, Thebiggamer. Seaking is going to be hard.

I'm still struggling, trying to get through Diamond. I only have three pokemon on my team and I'm not shiny hunting until I beat it. It should be beaten by the end of the week, same with Fire Red.
I may cheat and borrow my sisters level 100 Dialga just to get through the game. Probably not, though. xP

69 SR's for Turtwig on Pearl, nothing so far.

The Nidoran is still rotting in my PC on Fire red. I'm rushing to get the National Dex on Diamond. Then I can try chaining.

The Graceful Assassin

Dispose Of The Betrayer....
Years
lol, you're telling me. (Good luck with Giratina, I want one too.)

I got up to 16 once, and went to grass I thought was safe but a Dugtrio popped out. I was working under the daytime sun though and Cacturne's rate then is 20%.

So it's nighttime now, but I can't see, the visibility is even worse now....

I'm going to keep trying though. I've been pretty lucky to get up to 16.

I wish there was some way to cancel the Sandstorm though. I need Groudon's Drought from R/S/E. =P

I may just move on.... but Cacturne is an old favorite. I have many, many Cacnea from when I was trying to hatch one, and seeing as my team is Sandstorm-prone (so bittersweet..), one to go with it would be awesome. I also can't shy away from SD+Sash+Sucker Punch, it'd crush a lot of people who don't expect it, which is the exact premise of "Sucker Punch". :)

Not to mention shiny Cacturne looks freaking awesome.
If I do get to 40 though, how am I going to see the shiny grass? Will it overlap the sandstorm? will it look different?

The "rocks" even look the same shape as the sparkles on the grass...

Also, I just searched on YouTube hoping to find at least one "Shiny Cacturne with Radar" video, but there wasn't any at all. At all.

So if I get one.... Will I be one of the few to get one from chaining?

You'd think this would dishearten me but instead it pushes me onward.

edit:
I got to 18 that time before I went into (again) a patch I didn't see which was Dugtrio again....... My trick is helping me see, sorta, but it's not working now.
I'm not giving up yet.

i just took a break from giratina to see how far i could chain with the blizzard due to my swarm being swinub.
i only reached 11 but im suprised i made it that far. half of the patches i stepped in i did not even think moved so i doubt i would have spotted a shiny patch anyway. ill probably go chain something else before resuming on giratina.

i was thinking maybe go for a chain of 20-25 cacturne and then start resetting the radar. the sandstorm is unpredictable so perhaps going to 40 is a great risk.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
so far today since 7am I've hatched 63 eggs, I might take a break from hatcing to evolve some pokemon for dex entries if I start to get bored, the female croagunk I'm using is lonely natured w/ everstone so hopefully the shiny can be used as a mixxed attacker she also had 30-31 IVs in both of the defences and the male parent had a characteristic that means it has a possible attack IV of 30, could be lower though. I'm hoping this won't be too long

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
Years
i heard from someone who chained a dugtrio that your suppose go to a dark room and turn your ds the brightess it can go, then it wont be that hard to see a moving patch/shiny patch.

well atm im going for the shiny targets on my sig, i really want an absol but its a swarm poke. havent check it yet but i dont think its going be it
-.- so i might just go with ponyta ^^.

Tabatha

A figment of your imgination
Years
Hey everyone! gratz on any new shinies!!!!
Pidgey is swarming for me today....one of my favourite pokemon so I'm definitely going to try to get a shiny, only thing is it's father's day and we are going out later so hopefully I have enough time to get one -_-

You can change the brightness on your ds?

DDD'SSCEPTILE

GekkouKitsune : Shiny Master
Years
i just took a break from giratina to see how far i could chain with the blizzard due to my swarm being swinub.
i only reached 11 but im suprised i made it that far. half of the patches i stepped in i did not even think moved so i doubt i would have spotted a shiny patch anyway. ill probably go chain something else before resuming on giratina.

i was thinking maybe go for a chain of 20-25 cacturne and then start resetting the radar. the sandstorm is unpredictable so perhaps going to 40 is a great risk.

I made it to 18 last night before it broke from something I didn't see. If you do try to attempt this, then good luck. Cuz you'll need it. Even if either of us get to 40, it's nigh impossible that we see all the grass patches and not make a mistake while resetting the radar AND seeing the shiny grass.

I'm not gonna give up, however I've taken a break from Cacturne to try and nab one of my Swarm targets.

i heard from someone who chained a dugtrio that your suppose go to a dark room and turn your ds the brightess it can go, then it wont be that hard to see a moving patch/shiny patch.

well atm im going for the shiny targets on my sig, i really want an absol but its a swarm poke. havent check it yet but i dont think its going be it
-.- so i might just go with ponyta ^^.

Already been there dude. I usually chain at night anyways, and I think my DS Lite's .. light is as high as it can go. (I think.) I'll try it tonight though when I'm finished with the Swarm.

Cuz I really want Cacturne now, as much as Gligar. They have 2 other meanings:

1., the first is chaining in adverse conditions. It's hard.

2. Gligar is an insertion Pokemon. Like MetalMario said when he got Seviper, he felt like he could chain any of them now. GBA insertion Pokemon really are some of the pinnacle hardest Pokemon to chain.

If I could overcome both of these and get even 1, I would imagine I would become one of those unmatched historical ... person people.

The only other thing I hadn't gotten is hatching a Pokemon (Shroomish is already slated for that), and fishing for one (which is going to be Magikarp. Who cares if it's the easiest, I still have to be lucky).

Targets/Wants:

Cacturne (Sandstorm), Gligar (Emerald Insertion), Slowpoke (Pearl), Shroomish (Hatch), Magikarp (SynchroAdamant), Krabby, Tangela (If and when I get a Japanese D/P, maybe they'll include it in Platinum), Makuhita, Phanpy, Drowzee, and maybe Electrike.

At least, realistic goals anyway. The Swarm I'm going after right now is Krabby.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Dark Steelix Lv X

Final Atomic Buster
Years
Hey all. Been Sring for Combee all weekend, no luck with it yet. Done around 3 hours today and did 5 hours yesterday, hopefully I get one in a tree tomorrow again. Also did some 3-4 hours of Sring for Darkrai, no luck yet.
I haven't done one of these in a while, A list on my targets on each of my games:
Diamond: Azelf/Manaphy
Diamond 2: Piplup
Diamond 3: Chimchar
*Pearl: Combee
Pearl 2: Storage, nothing for now
*Pearl 3 (jpn): Darkrai
*Sapphire: Kyogre
Ruby: Magikarp
Ruby 2: Progressing through game, nothing for now
Emerald: Cyndaquil
Fire Red: Mewtwo
Fire Red 2: Charmander
*Leaf Green: Abra/diglett
Leaf Green 2: Fossil/Slugma

* means priority ie. main targets

Heh DDD nice targets, For Tangela though you don't have to hope to be able to chain it, you can run around the route below Pallet town as only tangela appear there, That's how I got mine :) I tried chaining the other day out of boredom since I haven't done it since Nov. Lol I'm extremely rusty, I made it to 22 then my chain broke. Should've just Reset the radar then :p oh well I'll try again later. Heh realized Friday the 13th passed and no one had bad luck... it was the opposite and VenomX got Registeel! Congrats again btw! Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

Last edited:

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
Hey all. Been Sring for Combee all weekend, no luck with it yet. Done around 3 hours today and did 5 hours yesterday, hopefully I get one in a tree tomorrow again. Also did some 3-4 hours of Sring for Darkrai, no luck yet.
I haven't done one of these in a while, A list on my targets on each of my games:
Diamond: Azelf/Manaphy
Diamond 2: Piplup
Diamond 3: Chimchar
*Pearl: Combee
Pearl 2: Storage, nothing for now
*Pearl 3 (jpn): Darkrai
*Sapphire: Kyogre
Ruby: Magikarp
Ruby 2: Progressing through game, nothing for now
Emerald: Cyndaquil
Fire Red: Mewtwo
Fire Red 2: Charmander
*Leaf Green: Abra/diglett
Leaf Green 2: Fossil/Slugma

* means priority ie. main targets

Heh DDD nice targets, For Tangela though you don't have to hope to be able to chain it, you can run around the route below Pallet town as only tangela appear there, That's how I got mine :) I tried chaining the other day out of boredom since I haven't done it since Nov. Lol I'm extremely rusty, I made it to 22 then my chain broke. Should've just Reset the radar then :p oh well I'll try again later. Heh realized Friday the 13th passed and no one had bad luck... it was the opposite and VenomX got Registeel! Congrats again btw! Good luck to everyone on their hunts!

Your avatar reminds me of my friend, he's a big Kurosaki Ichigo fan. =)
Wow, and I thought I had games. You're really clickin' and dedicated to Pokemon. It's funny, I am too a little.... I hardly play anything else, even my Wii and stuff.... It's just that Pokemon is very accessible and you can start and stop anytime you want.

I hope SOMEONE gets a Shiny Darkrai soon, my friend said that they may be coded not to give out shiny ones..

I think I might just go to that area below Pallet Town. I kept thinking that Pidgeotto would also show up there, but I think that was only in GSC....

And in a way, Tangela/Tangrowth is kinda one of those Pokemon that's hard to mess up, so I might just try it out later.

But first I gotta get me some shiny Krabbies and I'm just a stone-throw's away from 40.

Not to mention my favorite NASCAR driver Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the race today. =)

Too bad I feel awful right now, I think I got waaay too hot outside....
I'm not one for heat...

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jul 24, 2009
it is pretty hot at my place as well, not as bad as monday when I got heat stroke(no joke literally) but it's messing up my cable.

as for me I've got a stock of 5 or 6 croagunk that all have avg. and above IVs and I'm mixing and matching them omw to a shiny

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
Someone tell me what the Farfetch'd is going on.

Earlier, when I said I was a stone throw's away? I was, or SHOULD HAVE BEEN, at 35, I only had 5 moves to go.

Ok, I do 4 moves, and before I enter grass, I check the Radar App to see the 39 as I walk into the grass, to see if it's epic win or crushing defeat.

It says only 34 Pokemon have been chained.

That's not possible. I started the chain, if I screw up, I SR and try again so my PP will be refreshed.

It goes like this:
20 Aura Sphere, 15 Dark Pulse, 5 Dragon Pulse. = 40.

I should've been at 40. WTF?!

So, I clear out the rest of my pulses. If I thought correctly, I would've been at 40 or 39.

I check the App.........

It says 4.

Four.

What the heck is going on here?! I spent all day off and on getting to 40! Cuz this is one I actually WANT!

The Radar music never quit!! The grass kept moving all the time!! WHY IS THE CHAIN BREAKING WHEN IT'S NOT!?!?!?

I'm crushed and out of PP. I'm going to have to SR, and try to flush out 40 within 3 hours, and play it like I did with Snubbull.

This is madness, but it's not Sparta.

edit:

It's after midnight. I lost it at like 11 because I kept trying to hurry.

That's just not right man.
=(

Last edited:
Years
Well, anyway, Paras/Parasect or Shroomish/Breloom are about the same. You have to breed False Swipe onto Shroomish though (or get Hayley's one from Ranch.. lol!).
Well, Breloom is a LOT better for one very simple but key reason--Poison Heal! This is his new alternate ability for D/P. My shiny Spearow from FR was put at risk when it got poisoned by Effect Spore.

Like MetalMario said when he got Seviper, he felt like he could chain any of them now. GBA insertion Pokemon really are some of the pinnacle hardest Pokemon to chain.
Yeah, lol. It was basically that I figured out which rules to follow, then my chain WOULDN'T break. Something I've been meaning to do is find a shiny through each of the unique (and often difficult) methods.

I've done:

Random encounter: Most.
Fishing: Poliwag. Now Toed.
Soft Reset: Many including Porygon and Palkia.
Pokéradar: Seviper

I still intend to do:
Breeding: Chikorita
Soft reset of a Runner: Suicune or Mesprit

I think that's about all of them, unless you count the one-shot-deal-unless-you-restart-your-whole-game ones like Ho-oh.

Currently, I am breeding Chikoritas. I've been deliberately leaving my game on overnight to give the RNG time to get past the cluster I've previously been breeding from. If a new random number is drawn every 1/60th of a second (or less, but the input frequency makes there be no effective difference), then a shiny number ought to be drawn an average of every 2min 16sec, so my efforts here are purely paranoia, but ya never know!

(Of course, there isn't a shiny number drawn predictably every 2:16--that's just an average. It's going to look more like a Poisson process with some closer together and others much further apart.)

Gratz VenomX on the Registeel.

Edit: New post during the time I was away from the PC:
I'm crushed and out of PP. I'm going to have to SR, and try to flush out 40 within 3 hours, and play it like I did with Snubbull.

This is madness, but it's not Sparta.

edit:

It's after midnight. I lost it at like 11 because I kept trying to hurry.

That's just not right man.
=(
Are you still saved from before you did your chaining? You might still be able to do the "infinite swarm" trick if you are. Just tinker with the clock on your DS. You can set it to the correct time or whatever you want--just get the DS to think the time has been changed. (Alternatively, you can just switch to another DS if you happen to have one lying around.) When you resume your game, the old swarm should be back, provided that you haven't saved. If you don't re-save your game again, the swarm will restore itself every time you SR, making it effectively infinite. I did this trick way back when I was going for Absol.

I've seen my chain vanish mysteriously only once in my chaining endeavours thus far.

Also, because it seems I forgot to post it,

Shiny Seviper with Shiny Patch

Last edited:

super onii chan

I think I'm here to stay
Years
well i was on a chain of 35 of slakoth yesterday and my dad told me to go to sleep so im about to continue ^^ this morning i really want a shiny

edit2:40!!!! my next edit should state if i got a shiny or failed attempting

edit3:im sry to say people..but *sigh*...GOT A SHINY HASTY SLAKOTH! my first shiny on pearl woot

Last edited:

Dark Steelix Lv X

Final Atomic Buster
Years
Your avatar reminds me of my friend, he's a big Kurosaki Ichigo fan. =)
Wow, and I thought I had games. You're really clickin' and dedicated to Pokemon. It's funny, I am too a little.... I hardly play anything else, even my Wii and stuff.... It's just that Pokemon is very accessible and you can start and stop anytime you want.

I hope SOMEONE gets a Shiny Darkrai soon, my friend said that they may be coded not to give out shiny ones..

Haha lol same, I barely play other games, except for the odd addictive adventure titles like Kirby, Zeldas, and RE series, as well as fighting games like Brawl and Street Fighter. I'm a HUGE collector of pokemon games, well specifically ones linked to the main games aka ones that giveout pokemon for main games. Apart from the DS/gba main titles I've got PBR, both Colo and XD, as well as the Jirachi Bonus disc, two versions of the interactive demo disc that gives out the berry fix glitch shiny zigster, Ranger, and Ranger 2.

I also have a UK Pokemon Box but unfortunately my current TV does not support the TV type that's used in Europe so the Image ends up scrolling uncontrollaby and thus I can't play it. And soon I will have the jpn colo celebi disc muahaha lol. Hmm only thing missing from my collection will be UK Pokemon Channel (gives out jirachi) which I've held back from buying since I'm afraid it'll have the same problem as my UK box, and pokemon ranch because I need to buy an SD card since our Wii does not have enough internal memory left to hold it.

I think that's pretty much my current collection, yeah hardcore. Ok on to hunting business. Didn't get combee from a tree today so I'll be hunting Kyogre. Good luck to everyone on their hunts! Oh I almost forgot congrats to all new shinies. Lol nice seviper vid MM! Neon disco boogie snake rare bling FTW xD!

Bombah!

BlackDragonite
Years
Heya hunters.

I´m not here to join this club, sadly, because I have no shiny.
I´ve seen a shiny Golbat, but had no Pokéballs -.-

I have two questions:
1. Is there a percentage to see a shiny?
2. May sound stupid, but HOW do you hunt them? Walk in the grass for hours till one appears?

Sry to bother you with this, but I want to start hunting shinies.
(Maybe I´ll join then^^)

HF
Bombah!

DDD'SSCEPTILE

Years
Edit: New post during the time I was away from the PC:

Are you still saved from before you did your chaining? You might still be able to do the "infinite swarm" trick if you are. Just tinker with the clock on your DS. You can set it to the correct time or whatever you want--just get the DS to think the time has been changed. (Alternatively, you can just switch to another DS if you happen to have one lying around.) When you resume your game, the old swarm should be back, provided that you haven't saved. If you don't re-save your game again, the swarm will restore itself every time you SR, making it effectively infinite. I did this trick way back when I was going for Absol.

I've seen my chain vanish mysteriously only once in my chaining endeavours thus far.

Also, because it seems I forgot to post it,

Shiny Seviper with Shiny Patch

Crap. I wish I had known that before I decided to call it a night and see what my new Swarm was. =P Oh well, I'll definately remember next time, especially for Makuhita. Krabby has been a common Swarm for me so it'll show up again soon. I just want to get to 40, stay at 40, and nothing weird happen.

well i was on a chain of 35 of slakoth yesterday and my dad told me to go to sleep so im about to continue ^^ this morning i really want a shiny

edit2:40!!!! my next edit should state if i got a shiny or failed attempting

edit3:im sry to say people..but *sigh*...GOT A SHINY HASTY SLAKOTH! my first shiny on pearl woot

CONGRADULASHUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Purple disco boogie sloth ftw! XD

(yay for multi quotes)
Heya hunters.

I´m not here to join this club, sadly, because I have no shiny.
I´ve seen a shiny Golbat, but had no Pokéballs -.-

I have two questions:
1. Is there a percentage to see a shiny?
2. May sound stupid, but HOW do you hunt them? Walk in the grass for hours till one appears?

Sry to bother you with this, but I want to start hunting shinies.
(Maybe I´ll join then^^)

HF
Bombah!

Well, you can still join if you don't have any shinies but want to go after one. There's about 5 methods, actually, but more on that in a minute. To your questions:

1. Yes. 1/8192. They're pretty rare and back in 3rd Gen this was one of our biggest enemies. :P

2. Several ways. There's 5 different ways. All methods that were used in 3rd Gen are used in 4th Gen (D/P) but 4th Gen has a trick that makes it a lot easier.............. if you're still pretty lucky. What are these methods?

A. Walk around aimlessly in grass, like you said. I started doing this on FireRed last night where Tangela are, because Tangela only appear there. If I keep at it, I'll eventually find a shiny green one!

B. SR, or Soft-Reset. I.E., start a new adventure and before selecting your starter Pokemon, save. Then take your pick. Check it out. Not shiny? Press A+B+START+SELECT on GBA games; START+SELECT+L+R on DS games. It "soft" resets the game without turning off the power, so you can try again. Do it over and over until your target becomes shiny. You may get it within hours, or you may get it within weeks... or months, or longer. Just depends....
*SRing is usually faster in the GBA games, I think many would agree with me on that.

C. Fishing. Say you want a shiny Magikarp? Break out your old rod and start fishing. It's like methods A and B fused together. Personally I prefer fishing in FireRed and LeafGreen where you don't have to pay attention, but in E/D/P you can use a Synchronizer to try and get the nature you want.

D. Hatch. This is more manipulative, you may have more control over what you get..... but the chances are still the same. But you can get egg moves and possibly a lot better stats and nature if you know what you're doing.

E. Chaining. Only available in D/P... This little trinket you get when you get the National PokeDex is quite game-breaking for shinies. It requires some set-up to do efficiently and correctly, but you can get shinies from it, sometimes pretty easy. Our usual goal is to chain 40 of the same Pokemon together.
Then we wait until "shiny grass" sparkles, which yields Shiny Pokemon. At 40, for some reason, it's a lot easier to get shinies.

If you have any more questions, just ask.

Back