• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

freshmeat in UU

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
Years
  • Its my first attempt, ever, in UU. So I don't really know how it works. So I'ma post my team so I can learn a little how the metagame works. Because of that, I somewhat stole the EVs of smogon's analysis =/.

claydol.png

Claydol @ Light Clay
    Careful / Levitate
    252 HP / 80 Def / 176 Sp. Def
    Reflect
    Light Screen
    Stealth Rock
    Explosion

This Claydol sets the stage for my offensive team to sweep. It sets up important things, which patch up my team's rather frail pokemon, and when I don't really need it, it goes BOOM.

camerupt.png

Camerupt @ Choice Specs
    Quiet / Solid Rock
    252 HP, 6 Atk, 252 Sp. Atk
    Explosion
    Overheat
    Earth Power
    HP Grass

Looks like a watered down Heatran. Still, Overheat does massive amount of damage with Choice Specs. Earth Power is for when I don't want to use heat, HP Grass is for bulky waters like quagsire and gastrodon, and Explosion is for when I know it will die.

pikachu.png

Pikachu @ Light Ball
    Timid / Static
    6 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Speed
    Thunderbolt
    HP Ice
    Grass Knot/surf
    Substitute

Pikachu is the Deoxys-A in UU. This thing is a beast, and even more deadly with a substitute. Thunderbolt is for obvious STAB, grass knot and HP Ice is for coverage. With some nice prediction, substitute pushes even the best battlers to their limits to beat. I guess what's holding this thing back is its rather average speed, but unlike Deoxys-A in ubers, it can take one mild attack in UU.

hitmonlee.png

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
    Jolly / Limber
    252 Atk, 252 Speed, 6 HP
    Close Combat
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Mach Punch

Another gun in my team. Not many things like to deal with Hitmonlee. Close Combat is typical STAB, Mach Punch to finish things off, and everything else is for coverage.

sharpedo.png

Sharpedo @ Choice Scarf
    Mild / Rough Skin
    100 Atk, 232 Sp. Atk, 176 speed
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Surf
    Ice Beam

A great revenge killer. STABed Crunch hurts and the EVs patch up sharpedo's lower but still decent special attack.

quagsire.png

Quagsire @ Chesto Berry
    Impish / Water Absorb
    252 HP, 64 Atk, 192 Sp. Def
    Rest
    Ice Punch
    Earthquake
    Curse

Quagsire is FTW. He is hilarious, and is a great pokemon. He has many options, so he's quite unpredictable.

Yeah so thats my team. I don't really know anything at all about UU so I'd like as much criticism as possible (constructive criticism.) I wanted an offensive team, but my team is rather frail. Well from what I know, I guess thats why they are called UU pokes- they all are generally flawed bulky pokes, average-mediocre all around stats, or extremely frail sweepers, or a mixture of all

Last edited:

BattleBeastEXP

Competitive Double Battler
    Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Jun 20, 2009
    Wow! Good team! It's nice and balanced, however, the only thing is, I would replace Bastiodon. It's type-combination makes it a huge target. I'd replace for maybe for Gastrodon, which is a perfect Pokemon to wall your opponent with.

El Gofre

I'm Back.
    Years
    • Age 92
    • Seen Mar 23, 2023
    Can't stop for a full rate, but surfing pikachu has to be hardy due to this being the only type PBR exports. Since neutral natures fail I would just run the standard Thunderbolt/HP Ice/Grass KNot/Sub.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Not true, the 20th anniversary nintendo power event on sept. 13 2008 no longer limits the nature for surfing pikachus. You're allowed to use timid surfing pikachus on shoddy also.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
  • if you're going to have a subattacking pikachu, you may as well make it mixed subpunch. it gets walled in multiple occasions with special attacks being its only option. tbolt + hp ice + focus punch has good enough coverage for UU. so yeah, i would ignore surf altogether and make it a hasty/mild pika with a bit of atk evs in there.

give one of your sweepers (preferrable sharpedo) choice scarf. adding life orb to already fragile pokemon who are outspeeded by common threats is a bad idea. instead of putting all that speed and that nature on sharpedo, you can give it a +atk nature with more evs in the offenses.

also, bastiodon sucks no matter what you try. drop it for something that can either set trick room or that can cover for your bad Primeape weakness. shuckle is something to consider. you can also try something like curse/cb muk.

Last edited:

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I'd go with Grass Knot > HP Ice on that SubPunch set, but yeah, go with Samson's suggestion.

shedinjask

all about how to pokemoning
    Years
  • Yeah, Grass Knot or Gastrodon walls you. I'd drop Bastiodon for something bulkier, maybe Gastrodon or Muk.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I would go with Gastrodon, seeing as you have a pretty bad Rain Dance weak, especially Gorebyss and Kabutops, who both outspeed Pedo in the rain, and can kill of Lee(Tops can't siwtch in though). Gastrodon or Quaggy IMO. I prefer Quagy just because it has Water Absorb.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Made some changes to my team, took out Bastiodon for Quagsire and took out Life Orb on Sharpedo for scarf. Its working good, but I can't seem to put focus punch on Pikachu. His attack is just too low to make use out of it.

Skip Shot

I'm back. I think.
    Years
  • I don't rlly like that Quagsire set you chose. Chesto Berry only works once, and Quaggy is going to have to absorb status more than that without getting killed or allowing a set-up. I would consider making Quaggy RestTalk, seeing as you lack a status absorber. Water Absorb needs to be hte ability, so it can draw in water attacks and get moar recovery.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Yeah it was a typo, it was already water absorb, but I left in bastiodon's ability by mistake. What move should I take out for sleep talk? Only earthquake is a bit low on coverage and is easily walled by many things, wereas ice punch is a rather weak move with only a couple curses without STAB. If I take out curse, quagsire may absorb status, but it really cant do anything in return.

Sebastien Loeb

Motorsport Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2010
    Claydol and Sharpedo is not UU (for me).
    You are a lot of weak to Heracross (Camerupt cannot hold up 2 Close Combat), also Lucario can bother you.

Angelic Diablo

Scyther >> You
    Years
  • I'm sorry, but you can't say a UU team is weak to OU threats, thats kinda a given, that's like saying an OU offensive team is walled by Deoxys-D and Giratina.

No real threats, just be careful of Ninetales and Scyther, they can do quite a number to this team, although that isn't really that different to any other UU team really

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Id watch out for swellow. You could use something rock or steel >> sharpedo or pika to take it.

Yeah make quaggy rest talk..

SD Groudon, specs dialga weak and specs palkia weak lol=x

DarkTyphlosion157

All-Mighty Idiot
    Years

• Add NP/Flamethrower/Grass Knot/Dragon Pulse Typhlosion to those weaks as well lol

ChestoRest sucks and always will suck. Lose it.

Not much here bad except lack of a Fighting resist. I mean, what is Claydol going to do to stop Hitmonlee and co? BOOM!

Also Surf over Hydro Pump, Sharpaedo literally can't afford to miss.

Sigging Seb's post.

MM_Zero

Resurrected warrior
    Years
  • Well I heard about light ball also increasing pikachu's attack but it did nothing to it on the team builder on shoddy so I dunno about that.

I want to make quaggy rest talk but I need a suggestion on what move to take out for it.

I switched out hydro pump for surf.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    I still highly reccomend Grass Knot > HP Ice, since bulky waters like Quagsire wall the hell out of you. Lanturn does as well, as does Gastrodon and such.

Glitter Stain

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2011
    Oh please, why on Earth would you put Surf on Pikachu? (And, um... the only Surf Pikachus are Hardy Nature anyway). Keep HP Ice, go Grass Knot > Surf.

And Pikachu isn't even comparable to Deoxys-A. :/

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2009
    Oh please, why on Earth would you put Surf on Pikachu? (And, um... the only Surf Pikachus are Hardy Nature anyway). Keep HP Ice, go Grass Knot > Surf.

And Pikachu isn't even comparable to Deoxys-A. :/

It kinda is; very powerful, but a hit takes it out.

I agree with Mobile about Surf's replacement.

Back