• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

June Pixel Art Contest - Entry Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfree

Teh Spwriter. :3
Years
  • Introduction

My name is Dragonfree and I'll be hosting and judging the June Pixel Art contest, most likely alone unless there are any strong objections to that.

The theme for this month's contest is Mythological Creatures. You are to create any sort of pixel art in the shape of a mythological creature of your preference. Some mythological creatures are very well-known, such as centaurs, unicorns and gryphons, but others are less known, and should you choose one such creature, it is best for you to provide a reference image so I can judge it properly.

General rules

Each spriter may only enter one entry. The only physical source material that may be used to create entries is the official Pokémon sprites - of course, you do not have to use any source material at all. Anyone caught entering or using another person's fanwork in the contest will be immediately disqualified.

As always, only post entries in the Entry thread - leave all discussion to the Discussion thread.

Disqualification

Entries will be disqualified if:

- They do not fit the contest theme. Your entry needs to depict a mythological creature. If there is more to it, that's fine, but the creature is the main thing I'll be judging. (That doesn't mean it won't matter if you have a really horrid-looking background with a great mythological creature; however, I won't give you extra marks for having a great background if the mythological creature looks sloppy.) If entering a sprite edit, remember that it's supposed to look like a mythological creature, not a Pokémon dressed up as a mythological creature. If you took a Rapidash, colored it white and entered it as a unicorn, it would be disqualified because it looks like a white Rapidash, not a unicorn. (Unicorns, for one, don't have flaming manes and tails to my knowledge, and additionally the traditional unicorn has a long, narrow horn, not a short and stubby one like Rapidash.)
    - They are not pixel art. Pixel art is art that has been created or at least edited on pixel level: that is, you have been working on it zoomed-in with a one-pixel pencil tool. No tools with automatic anti-alias may be used, and while tools such as the line tool, circle tool, curve tool, paint bucket tool, etc. may be used, your entry must not look like it was entirely made using those tools. You can enter sprite edits, although they generally do not look as impressive as full-blown scratch-made pixel art. (Keep in mind, though, that a good sprite edit is a great deal better choice to enter than a bad scratch pixel art - if you don't know what you're doing when it comes to creating pixel art from scratch, it's not a good idea to attempt it.)
    - They contain JPEG artifacts or other graphic distortion. Sorry, but I'm going to judge it zoomed-in and take every pixel into consideration, and if I'm going to do that, the image needs to be crystal-clear.
    - They are stolen or created from stolen sprites or pixel art.

Judging

Judging will technically take place as soon as I see your entry - however, you're not going to see the judging until the first of July (unless there is a change of plan). If you edit your entry, you should note so in the discussion thread so I can reconsider my judging.

When the time of posting the results comes, I will go through all the entries again to confirm my judging, and then I will post my comments on all the entries and the first, second and third place. There will be no rating out of ten, as my personal philosophy is that a rating doesn't do anybody any good, and the comments will tell you everything you need to know anyway.

That being said, let the contest begin.

Last edited:

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    My Bad Entry....:)

Hmmm....This is My Entry and I basically just used the Official Pokemon Sprites (It says in the rules I can!!!) . Its a Recolour of Rapidash's Body with the Fire and its own Horn removed. A Ponyta's Fire Mane is used along with a Nidokings Horn. I used Tauros's Tails also. The new colours are of Dewgong (Body, Horn, Limbs) and of Nidoking (Mane)...I Know its not good but...oh well...

The Younger Unicorn is a Ponyta with Fire removed, same recolour colours...the Mane is a part of Tauros's Tail recoloured and the Tail is Milotics Antena with a Ball on the top, which was actually a scratch I did when making a Fakemon...

View attachment 33093 (Click on it for larger Image)

Its Rubbish and Probably wont win...and yeah...I don't need telling its Bad...

Last edited:

Xiaphear

Don't Phear Me.
    Years
  • Mine is based on a sea dragon......sea dragons don't have to have arm's or legs, because they generaly live in the sea. They are more likely to look like a fish or sea serpent.
    Meet Sapphire the sea dragon;

Completely scratched and custom shaded, with some finishing with the advice of a friend.

The most beautifull creature i ever made.

~Shadowfuse

EDiT:
    I fixed up the shading , outlines, and tail a bit.

Last edited:

AssassinX

The Royal Assassin
    Years
  • contestgryphon6wy.png

Its a fusion/custom/recolour made to look like a gryphon, It took me like 10 minutes,lol.

Edit: I posted a better version of it

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf 2

The Pixel Artist
    Years
  • NVM:

Here's my Manticore:
    winglessmanticorecolour4my.gif
    Here's my edit:
    manticorecolour6xw.gif

Totaly custom.

QUESTION:
    Is it okay if you edit it?

Last edited:

krow

Helping To Fight For Darkness
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Jul 21, 2008
    Well, bro entered a griffon, so I will too:
    Griffon.gif

It's a griffon head

aocom

Me like pixel art
    Years
    • Seen Mar 21, 2008
    ummm... keraw?

phoenix_contestentry.gif

'tis a phoenix. Hopefully you could tell. I would have recolored it red and gold, but then it would've looked boring-er. So I went for a natural look [with the bird anyway, not really the fire >>;;].

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back