• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] I want to learn Gen 4 ROM hacking

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2020
    From what I've read so far, hacking Gen 4 is more difficult than previous generations and only basic edits are possible, but projects like Light Platinum for HG show that adding new pokemon and new routes is possible. How can I go about learning how to do this? How different is ROM hacking from regualr programming?

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2020
    There's a map editor here, haven't looked into it much, and haven't seen much on it.
    But, I believe it was used to make Light Platinum DS.

As for new pok?mon or pokemon editing, I'm afraid I don't know.

Thank you!

Do you have any tutorials that you recommend for general knowledge about ROM hacking?

Years
    • Seen Mar 20, 2024
    Gen IV isn't really harder than earlier generations were before the disassemblies/decompilations; many parts of it are actually easier because of the way the DS ROM files are structured. All of the data tables (Pokemon, move, item and item stats for example) are in individual files that can be resized without rearranging the ROM, so you don't need to worry about pointers for most basic edits. The biggest challenge is the lack of research compared to the earlier games; you may have to do some actual hacking/research yourself occasionally.

I'd suggest getting started with some simple editing first, there are lots of tools here (though many of them are garbage or unfinished) that can help familiarize you with the way the ROM works. You'll also want this if you're hacking Platinum, or this if you're hacking HGSS. Platinum also has a partial disassembly here which is very useful. If you want to edit move stats I'd suggest using my Nightmare module, which is better than every other Gen IV move editor I've seen.

You'll also need to know that none of the script editors for the DS games work properly, and there are no full tutorials for using them either. I'm currently working on fixing and eventually adding to SDSME, but it''ll a while before I get it everything working properly.

Hope that helps, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have if I can.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    Thank you!

Do you have any tutorials that you recommend for general knowledge about ROM hacking?

I can only suggest taking a peak in the Tutorials Section on the Rom Hacking part of the forums.
    But, Buffel Salt seems to know a thing or too, following their advice would be a smart move~

Back