• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Why won't you let me be great 3rd gen? WHY?

Years
I understand how Kanye West feels now, when someone won't let you be great
Emerald version doesn't want me to be great D:<

There was a forum posted a bit ago about why no one wants 3rd gen, my answer was simple. I said Spoink was why I disliked it, why does there have to be a pig + spring. That angers me, but besides that I am replying Emerald version for a challenge and this is actually the first time I'm coming close to beating it. I don't ever even recall getting the 7th badge, twin gym leaders, that was pretty cool.

Though my mind is changing about it a little there is something that is bothering me, and it's not exactly 3rd gens fault, 2nd gen can take some blame if I remember right, but why is getting the evolution stones so hard?

My Pokemon are in the level 40's and I still don't have a water stone.

What is this?

I woulda been in Celadon ages ago and bought whatever I want.

I have a sun stone, meh

and a fire stone, meh

;_; this game won't let me be great.

Ludicolo will never be mine

Eletious

<- Gut-tacular!
Years
  • Seen May 23, 2011
it sure looks that way, huh?

Anyways, to answer your question, the stones are probably hard to get because it makes the game more challenging. Or maybe because Nintendo hates you, and only you, with the burning passion of a thousand suns. but most likely the first thing.

Years
Errrrrrr... what is the point of this thread? Just to rant?

Pretty much, but when it comes to difficulty I am noticing that the 3rd gen is priding itself in it. I don't remember 4th gen that well, and 5th gen I haven't played yet, so I would think that 3rd gen is the hardest. I mean from the 3rd gym on it seems you have difficult puzzle (omg that 7th badge), you have the trick room, diving under water and navigating around.

I'm one of those horrible people that love rpgs, but I hate dungeons and puzzles (makes no sense) do people enjoy these, and is 3rd gen the hardest?

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I'll allow this to stay as long as you guys don't quit coming in here and posting "oh this is a rant" or "i like spoink." I find your annoyance to be unfair though, considering you don't remember gen IV and haven't played gen V though. So your comparisons are fuzzy. Gen II is harder to get stones, imo. You have to wait on people to ring you up on the PokeGear and heck, that's unreliable. At least with gen III you can go out and get the stones. fyi, when you're able to use Strength, you can get the Fire Stone. Thunder Stone is in New Mauville, which isn't so bad. Leaf Stone is on the way to Fortree, on a small Surf route. Water Stone's just the hardest to get because it's after Dive (you have to Dive to get shards and Dive to get the actual stone). It's annoying, but not that terrible, if you know how to use Lombre.

As much as I like buying them in Gen I, that feels pretty cheap and easy. You think that "rare stones" would be more, well...rare. So I felt gen III had a more real aspect to them at least.

Also: in gen DPPt, you dig for them in the Underground...which is a royal pain in the ass. Gen V, you just like...get them in random places, idk. I know one guy will give you a stone for your monkey, Fire Stone is in the desert, Dusk Stone is in ummm...well, it's somewhere. lol You get them pretty quickly in gen V iirc.

/rant

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
But I love spoink. :( Why you no like him? HE'S GENIUS!

Ninja'd by Syd. -_-

I agree, buying them is cheap. even though they're expensive but I loved gen III it was my first Pokemon game and I have no problem with spoink or the rarity of the water stone.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Emerald version doesn't want me to be great D:<

There was a forum posted a bit ago about why no one wants 3rd gen, my answer was simple. I said Spoink was why I disliked it, why does there have to be a pig + spring. That angers me, but besides that I am replying Emerald version for a challenge and this is actually the first time I'm coming close to beating it. I don't ever even recall getting the 7th badge, twin gym leaders, that was pretty cool.

Though my mind is changing about it a little there is something that is bothering me, and it's not exactly 3rd gens fault, 2nd gen can take some blame if I remember right, but why is getting the evolution stones so hard?

My Pokemon are in the level 40's and I still don't have a water stone.

What is this?

I woulda been in Celadon ages ago and bought whatever I want.

I have a sun stone, meh

and a fire stone, meh

;_; this game won't let me be great.

Ludicolo will never be mine

Hey. Only place Emerald possibly won't let you be great is in the Battle Frontier. >_>

Don't be dissing the bouncing psycho spring pig that's fond of pearls! Now that I look back, the elemental stones are a bit hard to get in RSE. Gosh, I'm having trouble recalling when I actually went hunting for Shards in Hoenn. The process wasn't THAT difficult IMO, and these evo stones are supposed to be rare. It just felt like FRLG just made it even more convenient than before, I guess, as I played FireRed after Sapphire, as if the "remake factor" eased my Shard hunting troubles. But yeah, it feels kind of cheap just to go buy them whenever you feel like it...

Plus, the rarity of elemental stones in Hoenn spur you on, making it more likely for you to actually go exploring underwater.

I'll allow this to stay as long as you guys don't quit coming in here and posting "oh this is a rant" or "i like spoink." I find your annoyance to be unfair though, considering you don't remember gen IV and haven't played gen V though. So your comparisons are fuzzy. Gen II is harder to get stones, imo. You have to wait on people to ring you up on the PokeGear and heck, that's unreliable. At least with gen III you can go out and get the stones. fyi, when you're able to use Strength, you can get the Fire Stone. Thunder Stone is in New Mauville, which isn't so bad. Leaf Stone is on the way to Fortree, on a small Surf route. Water Stone's just the hardest to get because it's after Dive (you have to Dive to get shards and Dive to get the actual stone). It's annoying, but not that terrible, if you know how to use Lombre.

As much as I like buying them in Gen I, that feels pretty cheap and easy. You think that "rare stones" would be more, well...rare. So I felt gen III had a more real aspect to them at least.

Also: in gen DPPt, you dig for them in the Underground...which is a royal pain in the ass. Gen V, you just like...get them in random places, idk. I know one guy will give you a stone for your monkey, Fire Stone is in the desert, Dusk Stone is in ummm...well, it's somewhere. lol You get them pretty quickly in gen V iirc.

/rant

What Sydian said - if you can't recall Generation 4 and haven't played Generation 5, bashing RSE's elemental stone scarcity is quite unfair... :\

You know, if Hoenn came first in Generation 1 and Kanto came third, I don't think there would be nearly as much as complaints about Hoenn...it's possible that Kanto might be hailed for "removing some Scrappy Mechanics" and such, though...idk. -.-

Last edited:
Years
D:< I tried to make this less of a rant topic by what I put in my second post that was my overall question (yeah i'm an idiot)

I just got the 8th badge and I'm still going with dungeon wise, puzzle wise, gym wise, and side quest wise 3rd gen is the harder game. 2nd gen was great because it expanded on the Pokemon and established very important things that would influence the next gens, such as holding items, new ways to evolve, blah blah blah. I also always hated on all the gens after the 2nd because it was awesome to have Johto and Kanto in the, while no other gen has 2 continents. Hoenn doesn't need this though I learned. It's huge.

Basically what I'm saying is, is this game more challenging to puzzle lovers, and do people really enjoy the puzzles and dugeons in Pokemon games, unlike me who breaks out gamefaq.

I can't hate on it for the stones anymore, cause I do remember the underground in IV and it did suck.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
Yeah, digging for stones is kinda of ridiculous. It's like...when you're actually looking for something, you can never find it. So that makes it worse. I think HGSS has the method for obtaining stones down right. People can call you up and give you them, or you can work for them at the Pokethlon.

But I think RSE was alright in terms of getting stones. The Water Stone is pretty far off, but then again, so is the Sun Stone. I think you'd have a ridiculously easy time if you were able to get Ludicolo too early, tbh. But as someone that uses the Lotad line a lot, I'm used to it and I can tolerate using Lombre for most of the game. :P

Years
Welp.... finally beat Emerald Version

and

I don't hate Hoenn anymore

Hoenn does like water though doesn't it? Gotta fight a water gym leader for the 8th badge, ice elite 4 member, then water champion, hanging around in the water chasing down legendaries, many island towns gah Dx

I think someone could defintley duo species with an electric and a grass type

Maybe my hate came from growing up on red and blue, and being so excited for gold and silver because it was such an expansion on everything. Maybe it built pressure for the 3rd gen, 3rd gen was good, but didn't meet the hype.

I still say it's super hard >:

So sick of dungeons. Love rps. Hate dungeons. Curse of mine.

Back