• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

XY/XYZ vs SuMo Discussion

CodeHelmet

Banned
Years
  • It's no secret that I'm not a huge fan of SuMo but I figured I'd start a topic over a video I watched tonight that I 100% agree with(see spoiler below).

Spoiler:

TLDR: XY/XYZ slowly built up to a riveting climax and was sustained with "Hype" from several sources(including Amourshipping). SuMo, meanwhile, has amazing characters but suffers from a Roller Coaster dynamic where one week its an awesome Episode while the one after that makes you want to pull your hair out.

My question to you all: Do you agree with the video author? Why or why not?

Years
  • I still like XY too, but i kinda skipped watching it due to mental health i had and i needed to fix it and adjust from the past i had done back in the day. But anyway, XY looks more like seinen type, with romance plot (thus, Serena kissed Ash after she left for Hoenn!!!) and dramatic scene, as well as Ash's new transformation called Ash-Greninja!

Alloute

Cat Burglar
    Years
  • I mean on one hand, I didn't think XY&Z was all that amazing to begin with, so I wasn't really interested in seeing SuMo surpass XY&Z in terms of quality anyways. But I do find SuMo to be really childish: I know it's a kid's anime but still, it spends too much time being a parody of itself and the saga is almost like a meme at this point. I'll be glad once SuMo is over, but I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the next saga might not be any better.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I still like XY too, but i kinda skipped watching it due to mental health i had and i needed to fix it and adjust from the past i had done back in the day. But anyway, XY looks more like seinen type, with romance plot (thus, Serena kissed Ash after she left for Hoenn!!!) and dramatic scene, as well as Ash's new transformation called Ash-Greninja!

Serena kissed Ash before she left for Hoenn. Kind of hard to do that after she left don't you think?

I mean on one hand, I didn't think XY&Z was all that amazing to begin with, so I wasn't really interested in seeing SuMo surpass XY&Z in terms of quality anyways. But I do find SuMo to be really childish: I know it's a kid's anime but still, it spends too much time being a parody of itself and the saga is almost like a meme at this point. I'll be glad once SuMo is over, but I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that the next saga might not be any better.

XY started off relatively slow but kept people interested with various plotlines like Amourshipping. What "hype" does SuMo have when Aether was pretty much removed as an Antagonist group and Team Skull has been an abject joke? There's no "shipping" like XY had with Serena so the only thing going for it is the rivalries for Ash and the Alolan League(which everyone and their distant relative seems to be partaking in). All the Kanto pandering and references to other Anime is an attempt to generate buzz or interest that the Alola region seemed to lack from the start. As the video author suggests, SuMo was doomed from the get-go.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    As for someone who doesn't care for shipping in Pokemon i cant say im upset theres little to no shipping plot as one who didn't care for the amourshipping plot in XYZ. Actually one of my griefs about it so shipping is pretty subjective for a plotline imo.

Besides if they did a shipping plot for sumo to make it not repeatitive it wouldve had to have been with two of the other companions, anyways imo.

.... that said we did have professor burnet and professor kukui so to say sumo didnt havr any love plots is wrong. Sure none with Ash or companions but the professors is the best one ive seen out of this anime regardless.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • As for someone who doesn't care for shipping in Pokemon i cant say im upset theres little to no shipping plot as one who didn't care for the amourshipping plot in XYZ. Actually one of my griefs about it so shipping is pretty subjective for a plotline imo.

Besides if they did a shipping plot for sumo to make it not repeatitive it wouldve had to have been with two of the other companions, anyways imo.

.... that said we did have professor burnet and professor kukui so to say sumo didnt havr any love plots is wrong. Sure none with Ash or companions but the professors is the best one ive seen out of this anime regardless.

I don't own the games but aren't they married in SuMo? One of my criticisms of SuMo is that its a clear departure from the games and the fact they followed through on KukuixBurnet is a positive outcome. Outside of comedic jabs at Lana about Ash being her boyfriend, there haven't been anything significant on the shipping front for a series based on slice of life.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Yeah and I'm glad that rather them already being married they actually pursued that little plotline for them and developed it in the anime unlike in the games when they were already married. As for any other shipping in Alola I don't mind the lack of shipping as, like I said, I don't really care for shipping in the Pokemon anime (and I ship pretty heavily when it comes to other fandoms. Pokemon is just an exception bc I can't see Ash with anyone).

tbh I think XYZ is better in some things (battles. shipping i guess) while SuMo has been better about other things (pokemon!!! interactions!!!) it all depends on what you look for in the anime.

Cid

Years
  • My hope is that all of Ash's companions getting their own Z-Crystal would build up to a riveting climax that is the Alola League. I always loved it when main characters face each other tournament-style in an anime, so it helps that the unusually large number of Ash companions this season is going to be used in full effect.

Sloxy

Mon Amour
    Years
  • Honestly I thought I would get more hyped with everyone getting their z-crystals and then master them, but at this point I'm just getting bored at the repeated formula being thrown at us each new episode. Like the newest episode [Spoilers btw, so stop now unless you watch sub not that it really matters its pokemon and there isn't hype anyway] had yet again another training episode. It's fine to see them and all, but there isn't anything special about them. There is rivalry, but that's the main issue I think. There isn't anything being generated by these rivalries like the past. I was freaking excited to watch Ash vs Gary, Ash vs Paul, Ash vs Alain and even Ash vs Sawyer, there was just so much fire to them that I couldn't hold my breath (even thought the results were predictable). When they train together it doesn't spark anything. Eventually we will reach the League episodes, and personally, there isn't anything that I'm interested. These friendly rivalries mean nothing to me because we see them battle so often, either side by side or against each other. Heck, maybe they will manage to pull off what they did with Clemont and will somehow make it feel like an amazing battle. Other than that to me at the moment if I saw them in the league, it would like as if I'm just watching a normal battle. There is one exception that I am looking forward to very much. The Guzma vs Kukui arc. There was loads of tension created just through that one and only interaction. At least in the Anime he isn't treated like a joke. Other than that, I really hope that they actually go somewhere with the Giovanni-Nanu plot, because so far Team Rocket has had such potention but nothing has come out of it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I am hoping who will be the Champion of the Alola League somehow, i am sure it would be Gladion, since he has potential and he hopes to revitalize its league and make it more powerful and also intending to add more Alola Elite Four in the near future.

Sun and Moon also celebrated its 20th anniversary, and as a matter of fact, Misty and Brock return to the series after a long absence, i was so happy to see them returning, even though they aren't returning as traveling companions, they are still considered as supporting characters who help Ash and his classmate resolve their issues. Brock and Misty are not even familiar on how Ash managed to get its unique transformation with Ash-Greninja, because they had the busy stuff scheduled to do. Even Iris, Cilan, Max, May we're not even familiar with him since they also left the group.

In addition to that, Sun and Moon didn't show up Tracey Sketich it at all, i mean, he should have appeared as well, since he was living at Professor Oak's there and it didn't worked out as it would have believed. And Mew finally making its appearance in the main anime makes its the all Gen I Pokemon all appear in anime so far, i know Mew has never made its main anime appearance before it was finally made in after all these years.

And the episode would end all the classmates graduating and earn their diploma and wear their uniform as ceremony, and then Lillie deciding to travel to Sinnoh in order to learn more about Pokemon while Ash heads back to Kanto. There could also be a special episode in Post-SM anime where Lillie meets up with Gary Oak and both are unfamiliar that they knew Ash all along, much like how Cilan met Brock, Clemont, Bonnie, all of whom do not knew that they are Ash's friends all the time.

Man, SM is gonna go rock and roll!!!

(sorry for my poor English)

Back