• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nijishu: The Rainbow Province (a vast region by Nymue)

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
Years
  • Nijishu: The Rainbow Province (and other maps by Nymue)

Current Project

2vkb77n.png

This is the region I've been working on for my stories and Fakémon. Check out the full version under the spoiler.

Spoiler:

It's got 19 cities, one for each Pokémon type plus a mixed metropolis, and the 18 other cities each host league-accredited gyms so that trainers can collect at least eight badges of their choice to qualify for the elite challenge. It's also got eleven smaller towns, and a whole bunch of special locations. These include a conservation park, a natural cauldron, hot springs, a swampy pass, an arctic tundra, a landfill, a sunken ship, a psychically charged "ley junction", a series of underwater caves, some farmlands, various forests, a series of peaks and plateaus, a crystal cave, various industrial zones and facilities, an archeological dig, and a whole lot more.

The long white lines are the trainline, and the short white lines are ferry routes.

I started with a free map generator and cropped it, touched it up and recoloured it, and some pixelled extra details on top; you can see the version I had at this point below.

Then I went back to the empty map, posterised it down to just a few shades of colour, and coloured each shade to match the traditional Town Map style. I picked up the sprites for the town and special location points, and drew up the routes a little differently. I did the posterisation in GIMP, but everything else I just slaved over in Paintbrush rather than stress out my slow computer by trying to work out shortcuts.

I'm making lists of which Pokémon can be found where, and I'll post a full list of all the cities, towns and the special locations soon.

Please tell me what you think! And I can probably offer my skills or lack thereof in making maps like you see here for anyone interested in one for their RP or whatever, they're really fun to make.

Other Projects

Spoiler:

An earlier version of the map of Nijishu, with all the towns and cities labelled.

Spoiler:

This is a preliminary editing of a town I originally set out (in Excel, of all things) as a sort of Harvest Moon town. This edit fits it into the Pokémon universe. It still needs a theme, and some specific businesses that make sense within that theme.

Spoiler:

This is the original town, called Little Arcadia, the setting of a Harvest Moon-style community exploration game I've been fiddling with in Inform, the text adventure maker. I have notes on all 60~ residents of the town, because I'm a nerd.

Spoiler:

This is an outline for a fantasy Pokémon setting based on the idea of a forgotten mythological prehistory of the Pokémon world in which Pokémon gijinka, or intelligent, humanoid Pokémon (roughly one for each species) had a great war that led to the most populous but least powerful clan (the Normal-typed clan) sought to depower what they falsely saw as their oppressors, and through their cunning use of technology and deep, dangerous magic, depowered their quasi-immortal fellow clans and transformed them into their weaker, subservient mon forms, depowering many of themselves in the process. Those who remained lost all their own powers and became the first mortal humans and made the first Pokéball prototypes to enslave the mons. There's a whole story to how these fit in with the canon legends, but it's a dark alternate history to the canon world.

I used the same map generator as for Nijishu, but edited it differently, because I wanted a sharper more pixelly effect. I'll probably redo it entirely, because the scale seems wrong. I want it to be quite a small region.

Spoiler:

Finally, this is probably my oldest mapping project. I've been idly adding to it over a long time, pixel by pixel, in Paint and Paintshop on Mac. It's very abstract, with coloured borders indicating lot types, etc., and I've never taken it very seriously, but I like how it's come out all the same. It's a capital city for an original fantasy setting that I've tried to keep adaptable for whatever purpose I may need in future. As you can see, there're a couple of blank spots still to fill in. I'm hesitant to finish and label it at this stage.

I look forward to adding new and better maps and graphics!

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Hey there Nyume! Your map is astoundingly detailed and very well planned! I can definitely see the makings of a good, solid region in your maps. I especially like how clear and concise it is.

That said, you must have 4 images in your gallery to conform with A&D's rules. :( And since both of your images are of the same thing.. you're going to need to add three more, sorry to say. I will give you some time to get your gallery straighten out so I don't need to close it. If not, you're free to post your work in the Art Critique & Showcase thread. :)

Great work though! Good luck!

Years
  • Ayo, I knew you were worth something good XD This is inspiring, makes me wanna do one of my own! *finding a free map generator*

Nymue

Draconic Neophyte
    Years
  • Ayo, I knew you were worth something good XD This is inspiring, makes me wanna do one of my own! *finding a free map generator*
    x3 Thank you!

I use Donjon's Fractal World Generator when I need to generate random maps. Google it. It takes a few seconds to generate after you've previewed your map, and you have to unselect a bunch of options to have something clean and useable, and the maps curve at the edges, but it's very powerful. So much fun.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Hey love the maps and you said something about a map generator can I have a link?

Back