• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Quick Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Patrat, Lillipup are they the only ones that have Atk EV or are there others? Because Ive gotten lists that give ev points from which pokemon. Also when will I know the Evs are sticking? Ive been battling wild pokemon since level one. Also Macho Does double EV correct? Also I used the vitamins and only could use 7 of them

There are more, but Patrat and Lillipup are the most reliable sources of Attack EVs. You always get EVs after a battle. A girl in Opelucid will let you know if you maxed out your EVs or not. You'll have to keep track of the EVs you get on your own.

Also, you're right; Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get, but the 6 Power items are more efficient. They award 4 of a certain EV, depending on the item, as well as any EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. For example, Gible is holding the Power Anklet and it defeats a Patrat. In addition to the Attack EV Patrat provides, Gible will also get 4 Speed EVs because of the Power Anklet.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
There are more, but Patrat and Lillipup are the most reliable sources of Attack EVs. You always get EVs after a battle. A girl in Opelucid will let you know if you maxed out your EVs or not. You'll have to keep track of the EVs you get on your own.

Also, you're right; Macho Brace doubles the EVs you get, but the 6 Power items are more efficient. They award 4 of a certain EV, depending on the item, as well as any EVs you get from defeating a Pokemon. For example, Gible is holding the Power Anklet and it defeats a Patrat. In addition to the Attack EV Patrat provides, Gible will also get 4 Speed EVs because of the Power Anklet.

Thing is I was keeping track. Maybe I wasnt doing it right or something but I mainly kept track of Atk and Spd I know that 255 is max per stat and 510 total. I hammered at atk until I hit 255 I over hit a lil bit in case I miscounted and did the same for spd. I dont know what I did wrong or if Brace is working correctly

I need some help, I think I've encountered an annoying bug. I can't rename my own pokemon!

I bred and trained a haunter which I then traded to and back from my Japanese game to evolve him and realised because he evolved on my Japanese copy, his name is Japanese. So I went to rename it and the name rater is all previous owner crap, but I am the owner!
Even if I try to rename him in my Japanese game he still says about the previous owner and won't let me rename him. Da faq is dis.

Just a thought but maybe you need to go to the place where you evolved it and try that way? Thats all I can think of. If that helps at all

Last edited:

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
I need some help, I think I've encountered an annoying bug. I can't rename my own pokemon!

I bred and trained a haunter which I then traded to and back from my Japanese game to evolve him and realised because he evolved on my Japanese copy, his name is Japanese. So I went to rename it and the name rater is all previous owner crap, but I am the owner!
Even if I try to rename him in my Japanese game he still says about the previous owner and won't let me rename him. Da faq is dis.

Are you sure the OT/ID number of your Gengar matches the OT/ID of the game you are trying to nickname them on? The game should allow you to rename it if they match. If they do not, well, there's not much you can do about that. Worst case scenario, you can prevent this from happening again by nicknaming your Pokémon before you trade to evolve.

snowman4686

Breeder Chris
Years
EV training help

Hey PC

Just wondering about EV training, I know what to do and everything, i've read through a few guides and was wondering if i can use my Action Replay to (for example) make a charizard appear as an encounter then use my charizard to raise its Special attack.

Would the pokemon still be Legit even though it gained Ev's from a hacked encounter?
I thought doing it would be faster than crawling around in grass for hours trying to find pokemon.

If it is wrong and i cant trade the ev'd pokemon then i wont do it =)

Thanks for your time.

EDIT: oh and will the pokemon i hatch still be legit via Pokecheck.org if i use quick egg hatch?

Chris

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Originally Posted by PlatinumDude

Thing is I was keeping track. Maybe I wasnt doing it right or something but I mainly kept track of Atk and Spd I know that 255 is max per stat and 510 total. I hammered at atk until I hit 255 I over hit a lil bit in case I miscounted and did the same for spd. I dont know what I did wrong or if Brace is working correctly

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
Hey PC

Just wondering about EV training, I know what to do and everything, i've read through a few guides and was wondering if i can use my Action Replay to (for example) make a charizard appear as an encounter then use my charizard to raise its Special attack.

Would the pokemon still be Legit even though it gained Ev's from a hacked encounter?
The Pokémon would still be considered legit, though personally, I wouldn't want a Pokémon EV trained in such a manner. Just use the Power Items. With them, you can EV train incredibly quickly.

oh and will the pokemon i hatch still be legit via Pokecheck.org if i use quick egg hatch?

From what I hear, the fast hatch code does not affect legality.

Years
I'm absolutely positive that it's mine, I hatched it and raised it myself >_<
It's a bit annoying, but oh wells.

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
The brace is working correctly. You probably just miscounted. Just use the EV reducing berries and try again. Also, you want to stop at 252 EVs in each desired stat since any EVs after that number don't do anything to help. Just dump those remaining 6 EVs into another stat.

I'm absolutely positive that it's mine, I hatched it and raised it myself >_<
It's a bit annoying, but oh wells.
As I said before, check the ID number of the Pokémon. Assuming it actually is yours (you could have mixed it up with another Pokémon like I've done before :P ), trade that Pokémon onto the game with the matching ID number and you should be able rename it.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
The brace is working correctly. You probably just miscounted. Just use the EV reducing berries and try again. Also, you want to stop at 252 EVs in each desired stat since any EVs after that number don't do anything to help. Just dump those remaining 6 EVs into another stat.

I dont have any of the berries I dk how to get them for one thing also. I notice some increase on my stats but I am disappointed in the increase does it get better with each level it goes up because at 50 it doesnt give the bonuses I hope for. Its giving 2s and 3s instead of the 4s and 5s I was aiming for. This is in the gibite level or doesnt those levels go up the higher i am in garchomp?

I want to fight better at level 50 for online battles and such.

Also I leveled thru to Garchomp the elite four after The chick in opelucid city said it put in great effort or was that a no no that is too late to fix

Last edited:

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
I leveled thru to Garchomp the elite four after The chick in opelucid city said it put in great effort or was that a no no that is too late to fix

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Is Geodude and Graveler a good pick for a main team player. I've been using him since Gen 1 and he seems to be always working for me.

But my friend says that he's a bad choice due to his late game stats, is this true? Is Geodude a bad Pokemon?

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
Is Geodude and Graveler a good pick for a main team player. I've been using him since Gen 1 and he seems to be always working for me.

But my friend says that he's a bad choice due to his late game stats, is this true? Is Geodude a bad Pokemon?

Personally Id say if it works and your happy stick with it. If he fits well and accommodates your teams, then stay with him

Years
  • Seen Jun 9, 2012
PLEASE HEMP ME OUT!

I can't register my key items in pokemon white, my bicycle, town map, ect. and when i press "Y" button to access the registered items my game keeps on freezes.
last time i played my pokemon white was 2 days ago and all i did was enter dreamworld, entralink and captured a pokemon.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Last edited:

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
Years
To do the "Passerby" thing, won't we all have to have completed the surveys?

I'd also like to know more about how you can see what your friends answered to the questions, and how you can keep connected with them (isn't there some area where I can add them to my friends list, like that book in the "Key Items" bag?).

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years

For ingame play, pretty much anything works. As long as you evolve your Graveler, it isn't too bad of a Pokémon. If you're playing against other people it isn't very good due to crippling 4x weaknesses against water and grass moves. If it would have had different typing, it would actually be a fairly good Pokémon.

I can't register my key items in pokemon white, my bicycle, town map, ect. and when i press "Y" button to access the registered items my game keeps on freezes.
last time i played my pokemon white was 2 days ago and all i did was enter dreamworld, entralink and captured a Pokemon.

PLEASE HELP ME!
I've never encountered this glitch, but I have a few ideas as to what could be wrong.

1. You're not playing a retail copy of the game. If this is the case, here is a solution: Buy the game.

2. You've been doing a good amount of hacking: In this case, you should just trade off all you important stuff and restart. You've probably corrupted the part of your save data that has to do with which items you have registered (uh, that reason was a wild guess fyi).

3. You bought a defective, pirated knockoff online: Can't help you there. Get your money back and/or buy a copy from a reliable source.

4. There is actually something wrong with your retail copy of the game (extremely unlikely). I would just play around with it to see if you can find the cause of the freezing (such as deselecting everything from your shortcut list and see if it still freezes, turn the C-Gear on, etc.).

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
Years
For ingame play, pretty much anything works. As long as you evolve your Graveler, it isn't too bad of a Pokémon. If you're playing against other people it isn't very good due to crippling 4x weaknesses against water and grass moves. If it would have had different typing, it would actually be a fairly good Pokémon.

Even if you can't evolve Graveler, an Evolite could help make it still useful. Just be sure to get one with Sturdy.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
Would a pure ground type (No Rock mix) be a better choice, he's mainly there for FLYING/ELECTRIC/BUG

I NEED Earthquake, lol.

WingedDragon

Competitive Trainer
Years
seriously I need this answered.: I leveled thru to Garchomp the elite four after The chick in opelucid city said it put in great effort or was that a no no that is too late to fix

PokéSwimmer

Keeping time time time
Years
seriously I need this answered.: I leveled thru to Garchomp the elite four after The chick in opelucid city said it put in great effort or was that a no no that is too late to fix

That means the effort values are maxed out. You can't change them until you obtain the EV berries from the dream world.
Also, you might find this guide helpful.

Would a pure ground type (No Rock mix) be a better choice, he's mainly there for FLYING/ELECTRIC/BUG

I NEED Earthquake, lol.
Personally, I like Dugtrio due to Arena Trap. Mamoswine, Swampert, and Gliscor are also pretty good. If you like the Rock/Ground STAB, you can always use Rhyprior, as its Solid Rock ability helps mitigate its weakness to Water/Grass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back