• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
You edit the font the same way way you did for Ruby. The palette is easy to find. Go to a screen where some regular text in visible. Make sure you are using VBA (I believe No$ works too, but I haven't played with it). In the Tools menu, select "Map View". In the window, find some text and click on it. Slightly to the left, it should list a few facts about the tile you just clicked on them. One of them is the palette (pal). Take the number it gives you and open up the "Palette Viewer" from the tools menu. Under Background palettes, count down the left hand side until you reach that palette number (start at 0). Click on the first color and on the bottom of the window, make note of the offset. Now, open up the "Memory Viewer". Click the "Save" button in the window that pops up and type in the offset and then "20" for the number of bytes. Save. Take the .dmp file it created, open it up in HxD and hit "Select all" and "Copy". Now, search for it in HxD in your rom. The offset of that data is the offset of you palette. (If there is more than one entry, we may have a small problem.)

I have no clue about the intro, sorry. Though, it is probobly a little bit of ASM to skip it. You may be able to edit Gengar and Nidorino in UnLz, if you wanted to make something else out of it.

Thanks your a lot of help. BTW I just want to skip the intro not change it since I'm doing an un-Pokemon Game. Thanks anyways.

EDIT: I tried it in Fonted. It says "ROM is currently supported but font graphics offset not specified." Does anyone know the offset?

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
Years
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
http://174.133.255.180/showthread.php?t=266885 <- this tut has the offsets for the fonts.

This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
Code:
[BPRE]
Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
MonsterNames	= &H144
ItemNames       = &H3DB028
AttackNames     = &H247092 
TrainerPics     = &H23957C
TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
TrainerPicCount = 147
MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
MonsterPals     = &H23730C
MonsterPicCount = 440
MapHeaders      = &H5524C
Maps            = &H55194
MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
RomType         = 1
WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
HomeLevel       = &H0300
AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
SpriteColors    = &H36D828
SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
MusicList       = fr_songs.txt

The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.

Wendle

Not So Standard Trainer
Years
  • Seen Jun 22, 2018
Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

hinkage

Everyone currently in an argument with this member
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 24, 2024
Quick Question- I know there is only a curtain amount of "map allocation" in the gen 3 rom. But i want to know- What is the max tile limit of one route and how many routes can be made? is this based on the size of the routes or can there only be a set amount of routes regardless of size?

I think the biggest a map can be is 160 tiles -- e.g., 80x80, 100x60, 20x140, etc.
In FR/LG, each bank holds around 120 maps. Dunno if the sizes of the maps make a difference.

This info is all from my personal experience, so yea.

karatekid552

Years
This is the Pokeroms.ini record for BPRE
Code:
[BPRE]
Name            = Pokémon Fire Red (E)
Language        = 0 'English! WOO!
TrainerData     = &H23EAF1
TrainerClasses  = &H23E558
MonsterNames	= &H144
ItemNames       = &H3DB028
AttackNames     = &H247092 
TrainerPics     = &H23957C
TrainerPals     = &H239A1C
TrainerPicCount = 147
MonsterPics     = &H2350AC
MonsterPals     = &H23730C
MonsterPicCount = 440
MapHeaders      = &H5524C
Maps            = &H55194
MapLabels       = &H3F1CAC
RomType         = 1
WorldMap        = kantomap.bmp
HomeLevel       = &H0300
AttackTable     = &H25D7B4
AttackNameList  = &H2470A1
SpriteBase      = &H3A3BB0
SpriteColors    = &H36D828
SpriteNormalSet = &H3A379C
SpriteSmallSet  = &H3A3748
SpriteLargeSet  = &H3A37F0
FontGFX         = ???       <--- I need THE Tut doesn't specify
FontWidths      = ???       <--- I need
MusicList       = fr_songs.txt

The tut doesn't specify which is FontGFX and which is FontWidths.
I can't do the method in the tut because I dont know how to fix the image I exported.

Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Hackrex said:
1F5DF0, 201FF0, 212308, 222620

One Offset for Help Menu
One for Ingame
One for Intro
One for Town Names, I think

Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Okay, well the FontGFX would just be the location of the graphics for the fonts.

Now, I don't know about font width. This is either how many pixels wide a letter is, or how long the entire font is in total.

The largest letter I can see is the arrow and it has a width of 8 px. Try putting in 8 for the FontWidths. If that doesn't work, look at another game's ini sections and try what is labeled there. If it is an offset, find out what that offset is and find an equivilant one in FireRed.

By the way, in the tut, he is fixing the image simply by moveing the two halves of the letters together. The top and bottoms are split apart, so it makes it easier to edit if you out them back together.

Just checking on the intro thing; you did see Knizz's post in R&D, correct?

Edit: Also give 12 a try for the width. I just saw somthing that said GBA 12x12 font, might be what you are looking for.

Awww.... Looks like it need an offset. By the way, how do I look for the offset's equivalent in FireRed? The actual FontWidth offset is from Ruby: &H1E6594.

Years
  • Age 38
  • Seen Feb 24, 2024
Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?

karatekid552

Years
Sorry for not being around for a few days. It seems that the Pokedex Location editor in Pokemon Game Editor does not support Emerald, but does support FireRed and Ruby. So no harm done. What I now have a question is changing other things with in the Pokedex. Like the Region Name from Kanto to something else. Would you have any experience or know how in this matter? I know it probably involves Hex Editing, but do you know where about to go changing that?

Where are you talking? Like on the map or regular speech? Regular speech can be done fairly easily (though buggy) with A-text.

karatekid552

Years
I'm talking on the Map and inside the Pokedex.

Well then, see if you can figure out if they are text or images. With images, all we will have to do is redraw them (the most likely choice) but if they're text, then we will might have to do some hex editing.

Awww.... Looks like it need an offset. By the way, how do I look for the offset's equivalent in FireRed? The actual FontWidth offset is from Ruby: &H1E6594.

I have no clue how to find it. I looked at it in a hex editor for Ruby and it appears to be a set of 255 numbers, all in a row. These numbers are mostly 6's. I believe it is just the width of each character, all in a row. Try and match these numbers up to the letters in FontEd. When you find out how they correlate, try and create a list that would go with FR's font set and see if you can find that list.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Jul 24, 2023
Well then, see if you can figure out if they are text or images. With images, all we will have to do is redraw them (the most likely choice) but if they're text, then we will might have to do some hex editing.

I have no clue how to find it. I looked at it in a hex editor for Ruby and it appears to be a set of 255 numbers, all in a row. These numbers are mostly 6's. I believe it is just the width of each character, all in a row. Try and match these numbers up to the letters in FontEd. When you find out how they correlate, try and create a list that would go with FR's font set and see if you can find that list.

Okay thanks, I'll try it later.

ep!c

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2015
Well, one possibility is to copy the bytes that are located the offset of Ruby and try with the "search and replace" function to search these bytes in firered.

If its not found, make 2 screenshots, one of Ruby text and one of Firered text (take oaks intro for it or so) and compare the width.
If smaller, try to replace the 6's with 5's and so on..

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Hi :) I'm trying to insert a self-made Pokémon into a US Version of FireRed, but all the tutorials I can find on this forum replace existing Pokémon, but I want to have all the 386 originals in my game, too.
The only optioun I found is to replace one of the 26 ?????? after Celebi, but how do I implement those in the ROM? Like with the givepokemon command, do I have to take 0x252 then? Because Celebi is 0x251 and Treecko is 0x277?

karatekid552

Years
Hi :) I'm trying to insert a self-made Pokémon into a US Version of FireRed, but all the tutorials I can find on this forum replace existing Pokémon, but I want to have all the 386 originals in my game, too.
The only optioun I found is to replace one of the 26 ?????? after Celebi, but how do I implement those in the ROM? Like with the givepokemon command, do I have to take 0x252 then? Because Celebi is 0x251 and Treecko is 0x277?

Exactly, the only problem is the only way to obtain them is through evolution, breeding, the givepokemon command. Any other way and the game will crash due to them not having Pokédex entries.

By the way, there is a way to expand the number of Pokémon. Jambo51 is doing it on 649 base. However it requires a lot of knowledge and experience, deffinately not for a beginnier or even intermediete. I haven't even attempted it yet because it is so intimidating.

Reygok

Beginning Hacker
Years
  • Seen Jan 22, 2016
Thanks for your answer, but I think i'm doing something wrong, because when I want to see the stats of my new pokémon, the screen fades to black and stay there. In Nameless Sprite Editor, it shows the sprite correctly.

karatekid552

Years
Thanks for your answer, but I think i'm doing something wrong, because when I want to see the stats of my new pokémon, the screen fades to black and stay there. In Nameless Sprite Editor, it shows the sprite correctly.

Don't use Nameless for Pokémon sprites, Wichu's Advance Series is much better for those particular ones. Also, make sure you have done everything in YAPE too. Lastly, repoint all of the sprites for those whenever possible, including the icons.

Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2015
Hey Guys! Quick question here: was wondering if there was non-hex editing way to change the name of BILL'S PC in Firered? And if there isn't, perhaps a quick pointer on how this would be done (from my very limited hex editing knowledge, this shouldn't be too hard, I imagine). Thanks!

karatekid552

Years
Hey Guys! Quick question here: was wondering if there was non-hex editing way to change the name of BILL'S PC in Firered? And if there isn't, perhaps a quick pointer on how this would be done (from my very limited hex editing knowledge, this shouldn't be too hard, I imagine). Thanks!

A-Text would be the non-hex editor way to go. It can be buggy though.

To do it with Hex editing, download GoldFinger Hex Editor and a .tbl text file. This will allow you to read the text. Then load both the .tbl and FireRed into GoldFinger and search for your text. Then edit it. If you need more room, you will have to repoint the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back