• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Developing] Pokémon L.I.F.E (Card Version)

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Hey it's been awhile since I played, cause i was working on my own game, but when I tried to use your Halloween cookie code i got an error stating:

---------------------------
Pokémon L.I.F.E
Script 'PokemonPauseMenu 04-10-13' line 992: NoMethodError occurred.

undefined method `pbEndScene' for nil:NilClass
OK

And yes I did start a new game, it also crashed after I saved it after starting over again cause of the first error.

Edit: After overwriting the old save file and starting over the error disappears, it only occured during overwriting the old save file.
Idk if you removed it on purpose, or not, but there is no BGM at all during battles or during route travel.
Edit2: I went to pick the berries by the cave where the flowers are and got this error:
Pokémon L.I.F.E
Script 'Interpreter' line 276: RuntimeError occurred.

Script error within event 3, map 8 (Lovelett Cove):

Exception: NameError

Message: (eval): 1:in `pbExecuteScript'uninitialized constant PBItems::CHESTO

***Full script:

pbPickBerry(PBItems::CHESTO)

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1600:in `eval'

Interpreter:243:in `pbExecuteScript'

Interpreter:1600:in `command_355'

Interpreter:494:in `execute_command'

Interpreter:193:in `update'

Interpreter:106:in `loop'

Interpreter:198:in `update'

Scene_Map:103:in `update'

Scene_Map:101:in `loop'

OK

I always recommend Starting a new game and removing older save files, since older save files can't load my newer scripts and will always cause problems.

The music is probably because you didn't transfer the older Audio folder, to the new destination.

Well Chesto is no longer a berry lmao, oops, so if you could refrain from picking berries until the next download, that will be great :D

The next fix shouldn't require you to start again.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Good to know, about time you got time to play it ;)
I've been notified of a few problems, so hopefully you don't encounter those, I don't think you should, some are graphical, which you might, some are text, but overall, it should be fine... I haven't updated it from Halloween special either which may seem a little weird playing :P

Infer12

Darkness Incarnate
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
I have a problem when I press enter for my name the game just stops

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Thought I better comment to keep this updated... There has been no updates since my last post, however, the game is taking a different direction now things have been added to Essentials in version 13, and some of my unique features are no longer unique thanks to some contributions on the scripts and tutorials page lol.

So until further notice, the download will be removed and you can expect a slightly different gaming experience in the future.

In my head it works, and I think is better for Pokèmon LIFE, but will see when a release is made.

Will keep updates short and sweet from now on.

Thanks for patience, and sorry if I haven't answered your PM's or posts, because there is no point in answering them at this time since the latest download has now become void.

Again as always, if you have downloaded my latest version and can play it, have fun, and DO NOT use any of my resources, they are not public.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Soooo... I've mentioned in my last post that this game will take a new direction and it has.

Read post #1 for more information.

Here are some screenshots to set the mood on what the game will somewhat look like, excuse the map itself, it's irrelevant to the picture, I haven't edited the Metadata, so the game thinks it's an outdoor map, among other things...

So, to let you in on my new game idea and where I think it will be heading...

This game will now be a card based game, here are some screenshots...

Large pictures by the way.
Spoiler:

I haven't finished with all the different menus you see btw, everything is still in dev-mode, but once I have an update, you will.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
No, just an aspect I suppose, the point is, to collect cards, not Pokemon.
Once you beat a trainer, you can take one of their cards.
If you lose, they take one of yours.
Think of it as triple triad, but spread on a larger table haha... More integrated...

The battles will still be around, nothing has changed there... Pokedex and pokegear have been removed... There is no more storage system.

Trading cards, buying packs and battling, are the main 3 ways to collect them.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I'm interested in how exactly this card game will be played. Presumably you're changing more than just the Triple Triad board size to make it more immersive, e.g. the booster pack description mentions healing cards. Is the game based in Triple Triad at all, or is it just coincidence that it's also board-based?

It'd be nice to have a Card Dex listing them all so you can see your completion rates. You can blank out missing cards, of course, just like the Pokédex does.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
I didn't think of that sort of listing... I did consider a PokéBinder, type thing, but I haven't got the skills in coding to just, create one, if you know what I mean, it will require some time... Unless you or anyone else is willing to help.

Oh this has nothing to do with the Triple Triad game, but the Triad cards are used... Um, how can I explain?!

You gain Triad cards, which are essentially Pokémon, you can select a Triad, and with this Triad card, you can battle, the battle is a normal battle, as if you were playing Yu-Gi-Oh, I think, I can't say I've played it, but one of my friends says it's like that... The table is the "battle field", I think, I'll play through a battle once I get the cut-scene for winning cards done and post pictures so you can see.

Healing cards are cards which are only usable in battle, I'm trying to work out how I can use only 3 in a battle, but I haven't worked that out yet... I guess, one way would be, making an array called "healing" and giving it a +1 everytime you use a heal card, and this would be found in an if statement of if healing==3, and if it is, reject the use of the card... But that's at a guess, without looking at the code itself.

But the cards you own (up to 50) are pretty much your team, but to battle, I did consider using as many as you wanted, or even giving the player LP (life points), and your LP will be 500 or 5000 or something, and you lose LP depending on your Pokémons HP loss... But my friend quite happily told me, that Yu-Gi-Oh does something like that :S, but, you can only choose up to 6, to keep the game more Pokémon-y, not pushing too much towards this Yu-Gi-Oh game.

But what do you think of this so far?

I still have a long way to go before it's the standard I want it to be, but I'm only a little squirrel trying to get a nut in a big world lol.

Maruno

Years
Actually, it sounds as if you're aiming for a simplified Pokémon TCG, and are just using Triple Triad cards because they already exist. You haven't really said anything about how the game will actually work, though.

For instance, will cards be placed on a grid like in Triple Triad (where strategic positioning is important), or will it be a "my side versus your side" arrangement? If you have healing cards (which do what exactly?), you must have some way to damage (not immediately KO) Pokémon cards, which implies attacking - how does that work? Are all cards placed at the start, or is it "one place and/or one attack per turn"? Or something else? Might you expand on the number of item cards to, say, include held items or Revive - how will they work? Status problems? Type effectivenesses?

A while back I was having a chat with someone about a Pokémon-based card minigame. It might be worth having a read through what we said, in case you get inspiration or discover something you hadn't thought of but need to consider.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Simplified TCG?

Well at the moment, I just got the deck to work how I wanted it... I now need to play around with how it looks... And the only heal cards I have are Potions.

The game play will probably be; before the battle you select 1-6 cards, from your deck of 50, you battle an opponent to win, if you do, you claim one of theirs, if you lose, you lose one of your 1-6 you selected... How the battle looks is yet to be decided, it took me long enough to code in the deck and what that does lol... Plus with coding the booster packs to do what they should... And with all the different scene, screens... There are things definitely higher priority than how the battle will look... Although, I just looked at how Yu-Gi-Oh is played, and the concept there is pretty good, vertical cards can attack, horizontal can defend.

With that said, I'm thinking it be turn based, equivalent to flipping a coin or something similar, to see who goes first... I'm currently looking to see if a sprite can be manipulated in more directions than just rotation, but upon viewing a Trainer Card, it seems possible a card can be flipped horizontal, so vertical should work the same... (Can they be manipulated to face up instead of always forward or facing us, what about down, left and right?)

Items however, there will strictly be no revive card, no unbury card, no rebirth card, no card that can bring a fainted card back to life, once the card is beaten, it will be added to the defeated pile and will be forgotten about until the battle is over.

I like questions being asked, but here yours seem somewhat more into the future than I'm planning right now.

I'm going in a relaxed order on which I'm creating things:

Booster Packs
Pick Booster Pack
Card In To Pokémon, Implementation
Deck
Choose Hand

So far this is where I'm at... Next things on my jobs list are:

Pretty up the Pick Booster Pack Screen. (special effects, sounds, etc.)
Pretty up the Deck Menu (how it will look and act, can a card be trashed, what will the card look like with an equip card, things like that.)

Battling is a bit further into the future, I'm only one person remember, I have ideas, but I don't try to think to broad if I can't accomplish them, so I consider my options, and when I get to that part, that's when I figure it out.

If you have an idea of what you think the battle could look like, I'll be happy to hear and discuss possibilities, as long as they can be accomplished with my abilities as a coder, another thing to remember, I'm not you, I'm not that good at coding, I do what I can, which I do to my best, so to you, this may sound simple, but to me and many people here, it's not an easy accomplishment.

At the moment, the battling side doesn't work, I'm not that far yet, I can't leave things unfinished before moving on to the next task, it's not my nature.

in any case, can you draw me a mental picture of how you would imagine the battles and items would go, my questions:

Would you prefer the attacking part of the battle...
Speed based?
Level based?
Player Rank based?

What styles preferred?
Triad Style? (board and cards)
Pokémon Style? (monsters either side)

I'm probably going to have equip cards, potions and a few other misc cards, Do you prefer they do something special or what they say on the tin?

The cards themselves, would you prefer them to be card representations of the Pokémon, or more HP, Attack, Defense, Speed, SP Atk or SP Def, based?

Answering and questioning your status question...
I'm probably going to do something like:
Poison and Burn, does your normal damage OR reduces HP by 10% nonetheless.
Paralyze, Frozen and Flinch makes the received Pokémon miss a turn ONLY.
Confuse reduces HP by some amount, probably 10% or I was thinking equal to your level*3.
Any other effects I may consider moot.
Do you have another way to look at these?

Anything else to add, I'll be happy to hear, regarding anything from items, to systems.

Maruno

Years
Oh, I thought you had more of an idea about what you wanted to do than just "Pokémon as cards, booster packs, battle something something something, ante rule".

There are so many ways you could do a card game. Simplified TCG, Triple Triad, Creatures of Gaia-style, chess-like, Risk style, etc. etc. About the only definite thing is that the game should be round-based (not necessarily the same as turn-based, because both sides could attack simultaneously).

What stats do you picture a card having? You've mentioned HP, Attack, Defence, Special Attack, Special Defence, Speed, attacks (one or more per card, with effects and damage values), level. There's also elemental type(s) and rarity (for booster pack pulls). That's a lot of things. How big will the numbers of these stats typically be? 1-10 for damage-based numbers (with maybe 1-20 for HP), or will the numbers be bigger than that?

It doesn't matter if you think you can program it all or not. You need a significantly thought-out idea, at least to start with, which you can develop to suit playability and your coding skills. At the moment, anything we say is pretty much going to be our own ideas rather than helping you with yours, because you don't have much structure thought up which means we have very little to go on.

I'm currently looking to see if a sprite can be manipulated in more directions than just rotation, but upon viewing a Trainer Card, it seems possible a card can be flipped horizontal, so vertical should work the same... (Can they be manipulated to face up instead of always forward or facing us, what about down, left and right?)
Sprites can be mirrored horizontally, but for vertical flipping they need to be mirrored (horizontally) and rotated 180 degrees - there's no simple way to flip vertically. I don't know what that bit in brackets means.

Radical Raptr

#BAMFPokemonNerd
Years
as a person who would want to play it, I would like to see some sort of "evolving" of the cards
like you would start off with a booster pack of several cards, and then as you progress obtain newer ones, and better ones, etc
I would like to see the cards be different, such as having a bulbasaur card, lets say, that depending on how many wins and losses it has, or depending on how many pokemon it has defeated, it could add up to a trackable point system
the system could then be used to upgrade cards, improve their stats, abilities, powers, etc

I would also like to see some sort way of changing and altering certain moves, maybe having more than 4? but at least some way of changing them, like via a card of some sort

also, for the move based tun style, I like the system of Magic the gathering, where there are instants that can be played on the opponent's turns, and abilities for creatures like first strike, where, in the event the power of the opponent's creature is the same as your creature's toughness, and you power is equal to their toughness, but yours has first strike, your monster's move would take priority, and attack before they get the chance, where on the other hand, the attack phase happens at the same time (i.e, both would die)

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Oh, I thought you had more of an idea about what you wanted to do than just "Pokémon as cards, booster packs, battle something something something, ante rule".

There are so many ways you could do a card game. Simplified TCG, Triple Triad, Creatures of Gaia-style, chess-like, Risk style, etc. etc. About the only definite thing is that the game should be round-based (not necessarily the same as turn-based, because both sides could attack simultaneously).

What stats do you picture a card having? You've mentioned HP, Attack, Defence, Special Attack, Special Defence, Speed, attacks (one or more per card, with effects and damage values), level. There's also elemental type(s) and rarity (for booster pack pulls). That's a lot of things. How big will the numbers of these stats typically be? 1-10 for damage-based numbers (with maybe 1-20 for HP), or will the numbers be bigger than that?

It doesn't matter if you think you can program it all or not. You need a significantly thought-out idea, at least to start with, which you can develop to suit playability and your coding skills. At the moment, anything we say is pretty much going to be our own ideas rather than helping you with yours, because you don't have much structure thought up which means we have very little to go on.

Sprites can be mirrored horizontally, but for vertical flipping they need to be mirrored (horizontally) and rotated 180 degrees - there's no simple way to flip vertically. I don't know what that bit in brackets means.

Well, my general idea was, to give a basic card which has little to no power, no ability, nothing special really, just 2 moves, an attacking move (tackle, scratch, quick attack etc.) and a status move (leer, growl, swords dance, things like that.), I am hoping that each card can have 2 stats, out of the 6 already available, but different types of that card can have the same/different stats and which each new card you gained of that specific Pokémon, you can then, let's say, "upgrade" your Pokémon, because the new card owned could have something newer or higher, than your already owned card, by this I mean, maybe higher stats, a different attack, an ability, etc... Because I don't know too much about how attacking and defending works, judging attacks at this point can't be decided on whether I want to change the stats in 1-10 or 1-20 or anything of the sort.

By my bracket, I meant, can a picture look like this "_" instead of this "D", imagine that "D" led down facing up, instead of facing us.

I don't want to play with the elemental side of things, the types, I think, are fine, that's excluding Gyarados being a stupid flying type...

as a person who would want to play it, I would like to see some sort of "evolving" of the cards
like you would start off with a booster pack of several cards, and then as you progress obtain newer ones, and better ones, etc
I would like to see the cards be different, such as having a bulbasaur card, lets say, that depending on how many wins and losses it has, or depending on how many pokemon it has defeated, it could add up to a trackable point system
the system could then be used to upgrade cards, improve their stats, abilities, powers, etc

I would also like to see some sort way of changing and altering certain moves, maybe having more than 4? but at least some way of changing them, like via a card of some sort

also, for the move based tun style, I like the system of Magic the gathering, where there are instants that can be played on the opponent's turns, and abilities for creatures like first strike, where, in the event the power of the opponent's creature is the same as your creature's toughness, and you power is equal to their toughness, but yours has first strike, your monster's move would take priority, and attack before they get the chance, where on the other hand, the attack phase happens at the same time (i.e, both would die)

I did consider using AP (attacking points), but to gain AP you must first use a standard move, like, Brace and Focus, where Brace gains AP for your defensive attacks and Focus gives you AP for attacking, attacks... But you could potentially equip cards which give you an already AP boost, and each move has an AP rating of something, once you hit that AP mark, you can use the move, except it uses the AP and you must, Brace or Focus again, thus removing turn based style, I was going to change some moves to "steal" AP too, moves like thief and agility maybe, things that boost speed should probably have this effect.

With that said it came to mind while I was working today, that I could possibly have AP in a range of colors, and moves can be these colors, so you can't have 2 moves of that same color in your attack list... But I need to do a lot of research into attacks to do this one, since I lost sight of the moves after HG/SS.

Maruno

Years
So an individual card will always remain the same, but there are multiple different cards per species, each of which depicts a more or less powerful mon (e.g. Level 5 Bulbasaur versus Level 14 Bulbasaur). That's an awful lot of cards, as even having just one card per species results in many hundreds of them.

Elemental types is a pretty big part of Pokémon. It seems strange to leave them out. Even if it's just a TCG-like weakness/resistance, I think it'd be a good idea to include them.

Here's another idea: have a team of 6 Pokémon cards which are placed on the field at the start (side vs. side) with one in front ("in battle"), and then have a deck of action cards from which you draw a card each turn. Action cards include attacks (many different kinds of attacks can be depicted, some with restrictions on which Pokémon can use them) and items and so forth, and are used and discarded.

Or you could do something like Dungeon Dice Monsters (except without the summoning and limited floorspace). You roll "dice" each turn to gain symbols, where each symbol represents "attack" or "move" or "special ability" or "defend" or something, and you can only do things you have the symbols for (you spend the symbols to do those things). The Pokémon themselves start off at opposite ends of a large grid, and have to move around and attack each other, and behave more like figurines than cards. Each Pokémon has its own attack and (possibly) ability and so forth.

By my bracket, I meant, can a picture look like this "_" instead of this "D", imagine that "D" led down facing up, instead of facing us.
Nope, still no idea what you're on about (unless you're just talking about rotating an image 90 degrees anticlockwise, but you already know that's possible). How about a picture?

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Nope, still no idea what you're on about (unless you're just talking about rotating an image 90 degrees anticlockwise, but you already know that's possible). How about a picture?

Lol
hz30.png

Well, the level of the card depicts what attacks and stats it has, a basic level 5, will have more moves and higher stats than a level 1, but lower than a level 10, yes, but a level 5 Bulbasaur beating a level 14 Bulbasaur seems unlikely even in a normal Pokémon game.

Believe me, the cards won't be items... I haven't got time for that... I also think that's tacky... The cards themselves will be the Triad cards... And that's the reason why Triad cards are being used, because they already exist, however, they won't do nothing, they are literally just hard evidence you own cards, and how many of that specific card... Once the battle begins or menus are clicked or something, that's when it becomes something else and coding will take over.

I'm probably keeping the team to 6, so the battles don't drive on forever, but yes, I was going to have the screen look something like this:

7uua.png

You have your cards at the bottom-left, 1-6 of course... A.I has theirs at the top-right, 1-6 the same... The active card, (the highlighted blue diamond one), moves out the screen to a more led down position where the battle would begin by using the Pokémons battler... Looking at this in that perspective, I could probably just design a card-like, battle base.

Oooh, by elemental, you mean move elements, like Thundershock being Electric? I thought you meant types for the cards themselves.

Maruno

Years
I did mean cards themselves having elements. As I said, it's a big part of Pokémon. Attacks can have elements or not, that's not a big deal (they can inherit their type from the Pokémon, like the TCG does), but it's pointless if just attacks have elements because what's it going to affect?

You seem to have forgotten about Potion cards.

So you're going for a Pokémon battle style game, then (rather than grid-based or anything else)? It looks a lot like just a simplification of actual Pokémon battles (where you can only use specific Pokémon with predefined movesets, and damage calculation and all that are simplified). There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but maybe it'd help to look at your game from both sides (both "Imma make a card game with Pokémon" and "Imma simplify Pokémon battles").

Ah, you mean skew. No, RGSS doesn't have that capability. It's easy enough to just make a graphic that looks like a card, though.

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
Damn, yeah but there would be no smooth way to switch between them both.

Okay after much thought and consideration of how the battles should be... I've decided that I'm going to split attacks in to AP Colors and make them cost AP.

You power these by clicking 1 of 4 options... Or... You can equip battle items (I'm thinking, up to 3 probably...), which you can start the battle with added AP, some abilities will also grant AP, but in some cases, can grant AP of the color the Pokémon doesn't necessarily have, I.E, more of a team, Pokémon.

Back