• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In-game Soul Silver Battle Tower team help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
I am trying to gather enough bp to teach my gallade Ice Punch, but I always seem to be beat right before the Palmer battle. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Here is my team:

Drapion
Sniper
Jolly
1: Scary Face
2: Toxic Spikes
3: Crunch
4: Poison Fang

I just recently got him from the safari zone, and I didn't really think of what moves to teach him. I'll take any suggestions(not too hard to get, though).

Garchomp
Impish
Sand Viel
1: Dragon Rage
2: Dragon Claw
3: Stealth Rock
4: Poison Jab

I got this one from a friend of mine, and he's been pretty good. I'm still open to suggestions, though.

Gallade
Hasty
Steadfast
1: Night Slash
2: Shadow Sneak
3: Psycho Cut
4: Close Combat

This dude is the reason I am actually going through the battle frontier, lol. Trying to teach him ice punch >•<

If anyone can help me, I would be very glad. I'm not much of a strategist, lol.

7Mufasa7

Velohsytea
Years
  • Seen Dec 19, 2014
Swampert for a lead and starmie for a special sweeper would be a good addition to your team.

im not experienced in competitive play but i have done a few runs through BF.

do you know the EVs or know how to EV your pokes?

EVs really do help a lot.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
I'll try to help out. My changes and Comments will be in BOLD:

Drapion
Sniper
Jolly
1: Cross Poison
2: Swords Dance
4: Earthquake

Nature isn't bad at all, and this will probably be your best moveset. Swords Dance can come in handy for more OHKOs. Cross Poison is your best STAB and Earthquake is just nice for coverage.

Garchomp
Adamant/Jolly
Sand Viel
1: Swords Dance
2: Dragon Claw
3: Earthquake
4: Fire Fang/Crunch

Another Swords Dance booster, Earthquake is a Must-Have, and Fire Fang hits Steel-Types that resist Earthquake (Ex: Skarmory), or Crunch. An Adamant or Jolly Nature is your best for the powerhouse that is Garchomp.

Gallade
Hasty
Steadfast
1: Night Slash
2: Shadow Sneak
3: Psycho Cut
4: Close Combat

Not too bad overall, although you do have 3 physical attackers. I would consider replacing Drapion or Gallade with a Special Attacker. Preferably something that resists Garchomp's x4 Ice weakness. Which is probably going to be a Fire or Water type.

And yes, EVs are extremely helpful in the Battle Tower. There are plenty of guides on EV training, so just look around if you don't know anything about it.

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Not too bad overall, although you do have 3 physical attackers. I would consider replacing Drapion or Gallade with a Special Attacker. Preferably something that resists Garchomp's x4 Ice weakness. Which is probably going to be a Fire or Water type.

And yes, EVs are extremely helpful in the Battle Tower. There are plenty of guides on EV training, so just look around if you don't know anything about it.

Any suggestions? I might have one in the pc...

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Any suggestions? I might have one in the pc...

Would Starmie work? I've found this set works best for me.

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature / Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover/Psychic

Surf for STAB, and Ice Beam + Thunderbolt for great additional coverage. Recover heals off Life Orb's recoil, or you could use Psychic for a secondary STAB move. Natural cure is the best ability because it can heal off status trouble when you switch out.

Last edited:

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Would Starmie work? I've found this set works best for me.

Starmie @Life Orb
Timid Nature / Ability: Natural Cure
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Thunderbolt
-Recover/Psychic

Surf for STAB, and Ice Beam + Thunderbolt for great additional coverage. Recover heals off Life Orb's recoil, or you could use Psychic for a secondary STAB move. Natural cure is the best ability because it can heal off status trouble when you switch out.

I was thinking of getting a fire type to actually have a chance to 2-3HKO an enemy ice type, plus, I actually need a good fire type anyway lol.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
I was thinking of getting a fire type to actually have a chance to 2-3HKO an enemy ice type, plus, I actually need a good fire type anyway lol.

How about Infernape? I use this set myself:

Infernape @Expert Belt
Naive Nature / Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 192 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Close Clombat
-Earthquake
-Grass Knot

Flamethrower and Close Combat for STAB, and Earthquake gets nice coverage with CC. Grass Knot hits its Water/Rock/Ground weakness set. It's actually a mixed set, but it works.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Dang, cant get him..

What about houndoom? I just caught one, and i've read that they are good spec. sweepers.

Houndoom works.

I'd suggest this set:

Houndoom @Life Orb
Timid or Modest Nature / Ability: Flash Fire
-Nasty Plot
-Flamethrower
-Dark Pulse
-Hidden Power Grass / Filler Move

Try to catch one until you get one with Hidden Power Grass. If you don't want to do that, then a filler move in the last slot will work. Something like Will-o-Wisp or Attract. Attract might actually come in handy and give you more time to set up with Nasty Plot. Go with HP Grass if you get it, though, just for coverage purposes.

In the Celedon City Game Corner Prize Exchange there is a man who can tell you what your HP type is.

Last edited:

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Ok, after several hours, I caught the snorlax on route 12, and i have him with a good moveset.
Here it is:

Snorlax w/ Leftovers
Quirky
Thick Fat
1: Rest
2: Return
4: Sleep Talk

Is this a good one to have? I am keeping gallade in, putting this snorlax in, and am currently trying to find a #3 for the group. My houndoom is a pain to level, and since my highest lvl is gallade, at 57, i cant go for the elite four for power leveling, so im about to just use my alakazam. Here is his moveset:

Alakazam w/Odd Incense
Quiet
Inner Focus
1: Psycho Cut (going to be replaced)
2: Reflect
3: Psychic
4: Light Screen

I am going to run a sort of offensive/dual screen set, and i need another good special attack to teach him. I'm thinking about Focus Blast, but I am open to suggestions for what should go there.

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Snorlax's set isn't bad at all.

Alakazam, on the other hand, makes a terrible Dual Screener. It's defenses are pretty frail, and you can't afford to take hits as you set up. The only thing it's good at is being a Special Sweeper. Your Alakazam's nature is terrible as well.

Alakazam @Leftovers/Life Orb
Timid Nature / Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

That's Alakazam's best (and pretty much only) set it's got. You could give it Recover over Focus Blast, or another coverage move like Shock Wave or Energy Ball if you don't like Focus Blast's accuracy.

If you really want a dual screener, try Bronzong. Azelf can work as well.

Last edited:

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Alakazam, on the other hand, makes a terrible Dual Screener. It's defenses are pretty frail, and you can't afford to take hits as you set up. The only thing it's good at is being a Special Sweeper. Your Alakazam's nature is terrible as well.

Alakazam @Leftovers/Life Orb
Timid Nature / Inner Focus
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast

That's Alakazam's best (and pretty much only) set it's got. You could give it Recover over Focus Blast, or another coverage move like Shock Wave or Energy Ball if you don't like Focus Blast's accuracy.

If you really want a dual screener, try Bronzong. Azelf can work as well.

Oh, then nvm with alakazam. I also got a magmar.

Moveset:

Magmar w/ passho berry
Mild nature
Flame Body
1: Focus Blast
2: Fire Punch
3: Lava Plume
4: Flamethrower

I am going to check if he can learn hidden power grass. Here's hoping! ;)

jab2033

Exit Light, Enter Night
Years
Ice is also a decent Hidden Power

If you can, evolve it into a Magmortar, and give it this set:

Magmortar @Expert Belt/Life Orb
Mild Nature / Flame Body
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 240 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice/Grass
-Brick Break

Excellent set here, with great Coverage. Yes, Magmortar can learn Thunderbolt!

Years
  • Seen Sep 24, 2011
for snorlax give him a chesto berry and teach him belly drum rest sleep talk and a normal type attack

KH Fan Bixran

Pkmn Nobody
Years
Ice is also a decent Hidden Power

If you can, evolve it into a Magmortar, and give it this set:

Magmortar @Expert Belt/Life Orb
Mild Nature / Flame Body
EVs: 16 Atk / 252 SpAtk / 240 Spe
-Flamethrower
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power Ice/Grass
-Brick Break

Excellent set here, with great Coverage. Yes, Magmortar can learn Thunderbolt!

Sadly, his hidden power was "ghost"....(RAGE!)..lol

cant evolve him to that..my only friend with heartgold is punished, and i dont have another ds
(plus, i cant find a magmarizer >.<

EDIT: Ok, this thread can be closed now.

im just been out of luck lately TT_TT

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 24, 2012
My Garchomp has:
Dragon Rush
Sandstorm
Draco Meteor
Earthquake
With a brave nature, he's pretty b.a.

Status
Not open for further replies.