• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

All dragon team assistance

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
I would like to make a white-version all Dragon-type team. I understand of course I have to work around certain type disadvantages, being an all-one-type team, but dragons in general have better stats than most other types, and I enjoy it.

I battle with my neighbors from time to time, and they typically have balanced generic teams.

So, that said, I do follow a couple rules. Mainly, no legendaries. That really limits my options, but I've been playing all dragon teams since Gen1 (all Draonairs go!) and the newest games give me a couple new options.

Also, I know little/nothing about the new natures. (Abilities I'm currently reading up on) I have 2 spots open for suggestions, and I've never had a public rated team, so if its omg noob! sorry, but I expect as much. Tell me how i can do better! :)

Anyway, here's the pool of choices:
Spoiler:

I was thinking something like this:
Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Outrage
Roar
Ice Beam
Flamethrower

Kingdra @ Mystic Water
Hydro Pump
Brine
Toxic
Rain Dance

Hydreigon @ Shell Bell
Dark Pulse
Dragon Pulse
Crunch
Double Team

Garchomp @ Grip Claw
Sandstorm
Sand Tomb
Hone Claws
Rest

Reasons
Spoiler:

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
Well, the natures have been the same since Generation 3 so they haven't really changed. ;x But yeah I'll explain some things to you in regards to the natures.

Firstly, just going to mention that Roar doesn't really help with Ice Types. Dragonite is kinda slow in general, and Roar has reduced priority, meaning it'll wait until the opponent attacks, then force a switch. Roar is only really useful for teams which use Stealth Rock, Spikes, etc, since damage builds up the more you roar (and usually a defensive Pokemon uses it). Either way, Dragonite mainly goes with an Adamant nature because it has a pretty good Attack stat. Flamethrower is a Special Attack, however (as is Ice Beam), so using those two actually makes the attacks weaker than they would normally be unnecessarily. Usually the only Special attacks Dragonite uses are Hurricane and Thunder (which is only when rain dance is on the field). However, Dragonite does have some issues with steel types - so Fire Punch, a physical attack, can get around that, rather than Flamethrower. As for Ice Beam, it's not really necessary, since you've got Outrage to take on other dragons - although it's not advised because as I said, Dragonite is slow compared to the other dragons.

In regards to Kingdra, I noticed an issue you seem to have with both that and Garchomp - Rain Dance and Sandstorm. Generally unless you're making a dual-weather team then having both of those attacks doesn't really help you, and you could probably get away without any weather at all with Kingdra, and Garchomp too, depending on their abilities (but if they are Swift Swim and Sand Veil, then yeah, it'd probably be worth keeping them if you don't want to use weather starters, but beware, you are vulnerable to 100% accuracy of opposing Thunder's or Hurricanes). I think you'd have better luck using Dragon Pulse, as a STAB attack and Draco Meteor as a backup STAB (well DP is apart of the actual set, but Draco Meteor is the primary one - and used when your Special Attack goes down). Personally I don't think you need a "trapper" since dragons are primarily offensive and don't really trap, plus Garchomp needs to be able to take the attacks, etc, and unless you're actually using an offensive Garchomp set then I don't think you'll get that far with it. :(

On Hydreigon, Leftovers is better, since Shell Bell relies on damage recieved, and if you use Leftovers, then recovery stays consistent. Other than that, Dark Pulse and Crunch on the same Hydreigon is redundant since they do pretty much the same and Hydreigon works better with special attacks anyway - if you want, give it Flamethrower/Fire Blast to cover the steels and either U-turn or Focus Blast, depending on what your team has issues with.

Out of the other dragons listed, probably your other better choices are Haxorus, Salamence and Flygon. Altaria and Druddigon aren't really the best dragon types in general, whereas Haxorus has the highest Attack stat of any dragon, Salamence is great to switch into opposing Physically-based Pokemon and Flygon with a Choice Band can do a lot of damage. So yeah, up to you, but those are my recommendations.

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
Wow, thank you for your recommendations. I'm going to have to think about it and figure out a couple things you brought up. I also noticed I didn't have anyone with Psychic. I'll have to figure out a way to breed one with it.

Thanks for the suggestions. If anyone else has ideas, feel free to add. I'll update this after I've had awhile to figure it out. :)

Gymnotide

8377 | Scorpaeniform
Years
Run Altaria. That thing is a night terror with Cotton Guard or Dragon Dance, plus relatively high defenses for Dragon-types. I'm only suggesting because no other Dragon-type really fills the role of defense, save Kingdra (and Multiscale Dragonite), really. It also learns Heal Bell.

Something amusing you can do, but nowhere near good is have Rough Skin Druddigon hold a Rugged Helmet or whatever it's called. It will make you foe lose 24% of their HP every time they as much as try to touch you. It's just funny when low-level Pokemon use Fury Swipes on you.

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Modest 4|252|252
-- Hydro Pump
-- Draco Meteor
-- Fire Blast / Flamethrower
-- Dragon Pulse / Outrage / Hidden Power [FGT] / Hidden Power [GRD]

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
If you plan to stick to Garchomp, don't use Hone Claws. Ever (even though Hone Claws + Dragon Rush/Stone Edge seems tempting). Because Swords Dance can boost your Attack twice as fast:
-Swords Dance
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge/Fire Fang
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb

Kingdra is also known to be a threatening Dragon Dancer when the conditions are right:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Outrage
-Substitute/Rest
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe (if using Sub) or 184 HP/106 Atk/164 Spe (or 144 HP/160 Atk/40 SDef/164 Spe) (if using Rest)
Item: Leftovers (for Sub)/Chesto Berry (for Rest)
Ability: Swift Swim

Years
  • Seen Jan 6, 2012
change your drgonite moveset to a bulky dragon dance version with roost.i dont think you know about EVs and IVs so i am just going to suggest some moves.COMPLETELY chanfe your hydreigon and garchomp movesets .those sets are awful.hydreigon should have dragon pulse,draco meteor,flamethrower and surf with life orb as a item.for the other slot use salamence.it can easily crush any team .
salamence item:life orb
dragon dance
outrage(you can get it in gen 4)
earthquake
fire blast

you can check their stats in serebii.net and you can get a much wider moveset options if you see stategy pokedex in smogon.once you see this websites you never have to ask this kind of questions again

Years
  • Age 40
  • Seen Feb 24, 2012
Thanks for all the feedback. Here's a revised team.

Team:
Spoiler:

Reasons:
Spoiler:

Back