• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Term Limits

Years
  • I would love to hear some healthy debates on if there should be term limits for the house and senate and even a possible limit for supreme court justices.

In my opinion there should be some limit on the house and senate. I think for the house 4 terms since they only have 2 year terms and 2 terms for senate.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • With respect to the US federal government, I think some positions should have term limits and others shouldn't. There are significant pros and cons to both approaches and having different positions operate differently plays into the system of checks and balances designed to limit the negative impact of either approach. Executive positions should be term limited because it's the greatest source of consolidated power, judiciary positions shouldn't be term limited because of the extremes of knowledge necessary to perform the job well, and I like the idea of splitting the legislature: one house with, one house without. I think term limits in the house and no term limits in the senate makes sense; the senate was designed to be the wiser and more experienced house from the start. Right now, the only one that's different from my ideal scenario is the house, which does not have term limits, so I'd be completely in favor of implementing that.

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • While term limits would indeed be great, I think it's wishful thinking that it would ever become reality.

Do you really think we could elect enough members of congress who would vote in favor of a bill limiting their own power?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2022
    I think all positions in govt should have term limits. Say three terms with two out before you can run again. The Supreme Court is debatable about length. 15 years maybe?

Maedar

Banned
    Years
  • The Supreme Court needs term limits too.

When Thomas Jefferson wrote the Constitution, life expectancy was 50 years at most. He had no idea how long a lifetime appointment would eventually become.

But again, no way any Congressman will ever vote on - let alone propose - such a bill. Certainly not the ones we have now.

Back