• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Typhlosion 17/111 - Prices all over the place?

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    Hey guys,

Newbie here, I just signed up to ask a quick question - I'm hoping someone will be able to help!

Digging through my old Pokemon card collection, I've come across a few good cards which I've been able to value quite easily. However, I'm really struggling to find a price for my immaculate (though not first edition) Typhlosion 17/111.

Prices on ebay (UK) are all over the place:

(I tried to add a link, but am unable to as a new member - search 'Typhlosion 17/111' on ebay UK, and filter for sold listings)

Looking at ungraded (but in NM/M condition) cards, some are going for less than £20, whilst others are fetching £500+. This seems to be the case for both unlimited and first edition versions.

What am I missing here? Are some of these fakes? Why are some cards attracting so many bids, and others none, when the cards seem to be exactly the same?

I can't understand why the price range is so huge for this card. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hey guys,

Newbie here, I just signed up to ask a quick question - I'm hoping someone will be able to help!

Digging through my old Pokemon card collection, I've come across a few good cards which I've been able to value quite easily. However, I'm really struggling to find a price for my immaculate (though not first edition) Typhlosion 17/111.

Prices on ebay (UK) are all over the place:

(I tried to add a link, but am unable to as a new member - search 'Typhlosion 17/111' on ebay UK, and filter for sold listings)

Looking at ungraded (but in NM/M condition) cards, some are going for less than £20, whilst others are fetching £500+. This seems to be the case for both unlimited and first edition versions.

What am I missing here? Are some of these fakes? Why are some cards attracting so many bids, and others none, when the cards seem to be exactly the same?

I can't understand why the price range is so huge for this card. If anyone could shed some light on this, I'd be very grateful!

Thanks so much!

Sounds like you're looking at general listings rather than sold listings. Some of the higher prices are people posting at predatory prices, some are just really optimistic and have no actual idea what they have. Lower prices is people posting what they think they found it at.

Bids vary wildly and I'm guessing it's based on when they're posted and who has the best luck in showing up in searches.

Try looking at sold listings for a price, or at cardmarket.com for EU prices.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    Cheers for the reply! I'm only looking at sold listings though, as I mentioned in my post - not active listings.

Also, on Card Market it's averaging at less than €10 - I've never looked at this site before, but the prices seem to be incredibly low? They're a fraction of the ebay prices.

On ebay right now, there are several LIVE auctions with many bids - £62, £72, £70, £50, £41, etc.

The most recent SOLD listings went for £120, £52, £62, £120, £35 (all in NM/M condition).

Scrolling back a little further, on 20/06/20 one went for £500, and on 18/06/20 another went for £620 (both unlimited - not 1st edition - M condition). I'm still unable to post links as a new member, but if you search 'typhlosion 17/111' on ebay UK you'll be able to see the listings I'm referring to.

I'm very confused!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Cheers for the reply! I'm only looking at sold listings though, as I mentioned in my post - not active listings.

Also, on Card Market it's averaging at less than €10 - I've never looked at this site before, but the prices seem to be incredibly low? They're a fraction of the ebay prices.

On ebay right now, there are several LIVE auctions with many bids - £62, £72, £70, £50, £41, etc.

The most recent SOLD listings went for £120, £52, £62, £120, £35 (all in NM/M condition).

Scrolling back a little further, on 20/06/20 one went for £500, and on 18/06/20 another went for £620 (both unlimited - not 1st edition - M condition). I'm still unable to post links as a new member, but if you search 'typhlosion 17/111' on ebay UK you'll be able to see the listings I'm referring to.

I'm very confused!

Ah, I missed that when reading through.

CardMarket is EU wide and while it probably primarily deals in English cards since English cards are legal for tournament play in all areas that The Pokemon Company International runs organized play, those prices are probably dragged down by non-English copies. It's also a mix of stores and individual sellers and lacks the people more focused on "I want this" and has more people more aware of what a fair value is, so prices for even English copies of cards tend to move slow, this site also has a smaller, more modern focused buyer pool.

eBay has a much larger buyer pool and prices are way more volatile there, because it has both naive buyers and predatory sellers, and then the UK market having a smaller pool but being the primary source of English cards for players in the EU boosts prices a fair bit.

Were any of those higher price listings graded by an agency like PSA?

Bit hard for me to search UK listings from the USA since all UK listings will be crowded out by USA listings.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    Hey again, thanks for the info, it's interesting to hear as I'm new to all this!

Are you able to access ebay . co . uk ? I've taken some screengrabs for reference anyway:

The first card had 55 bids and sold for £620
    The second card had 1 bid and sold for £500
    The third card had 11 bids and sold for £82

Here's a link to the £620 card - I've had to add a load of spaces/SLASHes, but hopefully it works!

ebay . co . uk SLASH itm SLASH 174313511871

Thanks for your help so far!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200801-213924_eBay.jpg
      Screenshot_20200801-213924_eBay.jpg
      317.4 KB · Views: 7
    • Screenshot_20200801-213948_eBay.jpg
      Screenshot_20200801-213948_eBay.jpg
      653.4 KB · Views: 2
    • Screenshot_20200801-214125_eBay.jpg
      Screenshot_20200801-214125_eBay.jpg
      408.3 KB · Views: 2
    Years
  • Hey again, thanks for the info, it's interesting to hear as I'm new to all this!

Are you able to access ebay . co . uk ? I've taken some screengrabs for reference anyway:

The first card had 55 bids and sold for £620
    The second card had 1 bid and sold for £500
    The third card had 11 bids and sold for £82

Here's a link to the £620 card - I've had to add a load of spaces/SLASHes, but hopefully it works!

ebay . co . uk SLASH itm SLASH 174313511871

Thanks for your help so far!

Definitely does not look like it's worth that much. People be wildin' out hard with these overpays and it's driving me crazy.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah, those aren't particularly valuable and Ebay is not the most reliable place to price check. I'd say $7 if it's NM on a good day.

There was a Japanese Neo Genesis first edition promo series of all Johto starters released for Neo Genesis as well.. but those aren't the same Typhlosion. Maybe you're seeing the prices for those? They tend to sell a little higher.

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    Thanks for the replies! It's really odd - there's no explanation as to why these cards are selling so high? Just to clarify, it's definitely only the English, unlimited, ungraded 17/111 cards I'm looking at.

I'm not sure how its value could be $7 - maybe it's different in the US somehow? The last 20-30 cards sold on Ebay UK went for £50-200, never dropping below that bracket for NM/M cards, so it doesn't seem like a fluke or one-off.

Anyway, hopefully mine will be able to sell for a similar amount - it's just frustrating not being able to get to the bottom of the wild prices. Maybe one day I'll understand haha, cheers for the input!

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    It's certainly not an exact science, card pricing! Best of luck to ya though, hope you're able to get the price you want. :)

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2020
    Thank you! :)

Just to follow this up, I posted my card on eBay tonight for £150, and it sold within 5 hours - I can't complain!

I do wonder if it was too cheap though haha, but we'll never know!

Thanks all!

Back