• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Holy god jesus whaaaaaat

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    Logically, Metapod should have evolved into Venomoth. Caterpillars turn into moths, and Venonat has all the same features as Butterfree.

holygodjesus.PNG

How did I go a decade without noticing this.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • ... Don't caterpillars evolve into butterflies? Either that, or all of kindergarten was a lie.

EDIT: God damn, there is a thread on /v/ right now about this.

Last edited:

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
  • I noticed this since I finished Pokemon Red, Yellow and Blue. And yes, this is very mysterious. You should ask the Nintendo.

Acrutheo

The boundless night~
    Years
  • I'm not sure how I went so long without noticing the immense similarities in design between Venonat and Butterfree. Possibly this was their original intention and they made a change to it later on?

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Caterpillars can either be chrysalis or cocoon. Or dead.

Chrysalis become butterflies, cocoons become moths. Dead caterpillars are food.

What makes me wonder is why Venonat has no pupa form.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    ... Don't caterpillars evolve into butterflies? Either that, or all of kindergarten was a lie.

EDIT: God damn, there is a thread on /v/ right now about this.

I know this might not be the right time, airconditioning, but you're my favourite posted on this forum.

Oh, and Allstories, aren't we talking about a world of magical monsters where ten year olds are allowed to run around the regions on their own with no supervision? I'm sure Nintendo would be happy to make all logic in Pokemon flawed purposely in order to make a good game, but this evolution line must have been an error on their parts!

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
  • Ιt was an error. I mean its ridicoulus enough that those are first gen pokemon but to be revealed after ten years is what bugs me. Imagine nintendo lookin at this and saying um all dear pokemon fans were sorry to say that after 10 years it seems 2 different pokemon were mixed up. Sorry for the inconvenience and we hope that in the 5th gen it clears up! Id be laughng in nintendos face if tat happens.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Ummm...catepillars turn into cocoons and then butterflies.

Gnats and moths are just annoying.

If you think this is crazy...

Remoraid.jpg
    ->
    octillery.jpg

You tell me-- is this line weirder than catepillar->cocoon->butterfly?

See, it's normal compared to other things. Like Magikarp->Gyarados, Feebas->Milotic, etc.

Amp

This is crazy.
    Years
  • I noticed that Venonat looked WAY too much like Buterfree, but I never thought to cross Venomoth into the Metapod line... good thinking, there.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    I'm pretty sure this is an error on Nintendo's part, similar to the way you get the MARSH badge from the psychic gym leader, and the SOUL badge from the poison gym leader.

airconditioning

Take it slow, bro.
    Years
  • Magikarp->Gyarados

I believe that's based off an old Japanese/ Chinese legend. From Bulbapedia:

Magikarp's Origin said:
    Magikarp is based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. Several waterfalls and cataracts in China are believed to be the location of the Dragon Gate. This legend is an allegory of the drive and efforts needed to overcome obstacles.

Gyarados' Origin said:
    It appears to be based on a sea dragon or sea serpent. Gyarados is partially based on a legend about how carp that leapt over the Dragon Gate would become dragons. Several waterfalls and cataracts in China are believed to be the location of the Dragon Gate. This legend is an allegory of the drive and efforts needed to overcome obstacles.

Feebas->Milotic

While not based on any sort of legend, this evolution is pretty similar to Gyarados. Gyarados can be seen as extreme weakness turning into extreme strength, while Milotic can be seen as extreme ugliness turning into extreme beauty.

I know this might not be the right time, airconditioning, but you're my favourite posted on this forum.

It's always the right time to point that out. ;)

Motsuko Live

... pronounced Mös.
    Years
  • While we're on this topic, what exactly is Venonat supposed to be?

Anyway, good point. I doubt it's an error that nintendo made, but maybe they just didn't see the relation between Venonat and Butterfree.

Last edited:
    Back