• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Soul Silver Team

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
Hey guys, I'm new here, I stopped playing Pokemon years ago after I finished gen 3. Then a few months ago I went back and started playing gen 3 games again, but a few days ago I decided to move on to gen 4 so i got Soul Silver. Here's my team, I know it might have some flaws so I'm open to any suggestions big or small. Thanks.

*edit* switched Slaking for Scizzor and changed a few items & EV's around

376Metagross.png

@Adamant 252Attack/200HP/56Spd - (Focus Sash)
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Hammer Arm
Reflect

Metagross is my opener, with stealth rock to stop them from switching a lot during the game, and also hurt their flying types (Dragons Specifically). Reflect is to set up a good sp wall for my sweepers who need it. Then Hammer arm and Earthquake for coverage and sweeping if they send in something week as a opener. If Metagross stays alive I will use it periodically during the match as a wall and a setup with reflect.

170px-121Starmie.png

@Timid 252Spd/252SpAttack/4HP - (Expert Belt)
Hydro Pump
Ice Beam
Thunderbolt
Rapid Spin

Starmie is my Rapid Spinner & Sp Sweeper. It has Iv's in speed & SpAttack obviously so it can sweep and also switch in for a quick rapid spin if they decide to use hazards on their team. Focus Sash to get an extra hit in.

180px-094Gengar.png

@Calm 252SpAttack/152Spd/106HP - (Life Orb)
Focus Blast
Shadow Ball
Substitute
Hypnosis

Gengar is another special sweeper on the team, but he also servers the purpose of Hypnosis. The plan for him is to substitute right away and then put to sleep if its a threat or sweep right away if not. When in doubt switch to Gengar for a easy sweep. I chose Focus Blast purely because of coverage on different types.

468Togekiss.png

@Timid 202SpAttack/252Speed/54HP - (Leftovers)
Nasty Plot
Aura Sphere
Flamethrower
Airslash

Togekiss is my final special sweeper. It is a pretty bulky Pokemon with great stats. Flamethrower is a scizor/skarm/foretress counter. Nasty Plot obviously to open with when Togekiss is switched in. Aura Sphere and Airslash are for more coverage. I am considering taking out Airslash for Roost or Thunderwave but it leaves me weak to fighting types.

617988_4926.png

@Adamant 252Attack/252Speed/4HP - (Shell Bell)
Dragon Dance
Stone Edge
Aqua Tail
Earthquake

Gyrados is my main physical sweeper. Open up with dragon dance and then keep killing anything that comes its way. Then slip in another dragon dance when they give me a free turn. I thought maybe shell bell would be a good item for Gyrados to hold because its going to be doing massive amounts of damage so it would heal a significant amount. Life Orb is another option but I feel like it would hurt Gyrados too much were as Gengar is protected by the substitute.

170px-212Scizor.png

@Adamant 252HP/40Attack/216SpDef - (Occa Berry)
Swords Dance
Bullet Punch
Bug Bite
Brick Break

Scizor is my teams secret weapon. If my team is about to take a huge hit I can always switch to Scizzor and bullet punch. Swords Dance is there if I have time to setup. SPdef Ev's + Occa Berry removes the fire type threat from him.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Metagross' lack of STABs hurt. Lum Berry (to heal status) or Occa Berry (to weaken Fire moves) is the preferred item. Quick Claw is a luck/hax item:
-Stealth Rock
-Bullet Punch
-Meteor Mash/Earthquake
-Explosion
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 Spe
Item: Lum Berry/Occa Berry

Gyarados' Aqua Tail tends to miss at inopportune times, so Waterfall is still the preferred option:
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake/Bounce
Nature: Adamant/Jolly
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

Starmie isn't frail, but it isn't bulky either. I don't see much use of Focus Sash on it, tbh. Expert Belt seems good on it, considering it has good coverage (and you're playing under item clause anyway, so yeah).

The lack of STAB hurts on Gengar. Giga Drain sees better use in Gen V because of its buffed power, but it doesn't see much use in Gen IV, due to its weak base power that generation. It's also better off with a sweeper spread, as its defenses are very bad:
-Substitute
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Hypnosis/Pain Split
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Black Sludge/Life Orb

or
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Thunderbolt
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Explosion
Item: Life Orb

or
-Shadow Ball
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Protect
Item: Life Orb

Fire Blast is the better option on Togekiss because it packs more power. Sure, the accuracy is lower, but at least it's not as inaccurate as Blizzard or Thunder. Also, you can consider a support set as it abuses Serene Grace to its fullest:
-Thunder Wave/Body Slam
-Air Slash
-Aura Sphere/Nasty Plot/Substitute
-Roost
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/188 Def/68 SDef
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace

Slaking sucks. Honestly. It has high base stats sure, but its ability really kills its usefulness. Flygon makes a better Choice Scarf user because it can scout with U-turn:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-U-turn
-Stone Edge/Fire Blast
Nature: Jolly/Naive
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Choice Scarf

Pancake

Old-Schooler
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 14, 2013
A shuckle's gastro acid easily turns slaking into a fearsome beast, but then, that's only an option in double or triple battles

Edit: realized after posting that you were speaking of gen 4... So no need to mention triple battles lol

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
A shuckle's gastro acid easily turns slaking into a fearsome beast, but then, that's only an option in double or triple battles

Edit: realized after posting that you were speaking of gen 4... So no need to mention triple battles lol

Lol yeah its gen 4,
anyways I switched out Slaking for Scizor.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I don't see much use of Light Screen on Scizor; it's better off smashing things rather than supporting the team. Not every team needs screens to function. It needs an additional coverage move, like Brick Break or Superpower, or Roost for recovery. It's better off with either 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef. Honestly, where do you get your EV spreads from?

Years
  • Seen Feb 28, 2014
I don't see much use of Light Screen on Scizor; it's better off smashing things rather than supporting the team. Not every team needs screens to function. It needs an additional coverage move, like Brick Break or Superpower, or Roost for recovery. It's better off with either 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe or 252 HP/40 Atk/216 SDef. Honestly, where do you get your EV spreads from?

Alright, Ill switch the EV spread. And okay breakbreak works.

Back