• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Please have more than one save file!

PiPVoda

water, Forever
Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Not gonna happen. It takes the fun out of... actually, it doesn't harm trading. You can't trade in one Game Card... I don't see why they don't do this?

Okayyy!!!Let me get out my economics book :cool::D ::flips through pages in head::: Put it this way, pokemon games are a utility and with all utilities you may want it (or need) or just want some updates to it (like more saved files). These saved files are marginal utility (you buy/have more thus making you happy) but like Bleu pointed out pokemon games are slow and sooner or later you'd get tired of playing through another saved file (law of diminishing marginal utility)...Now if Nintendo adds in more saved files we all may be shortly happy..but sooner or later the LoDMU will come into effect an more saved files would just mean less fun and possibly more headaches...that means you'd be less likely to buy another pokemon game since you already have more than one saved file on one..and you've gotten tired of it already :D. And one thing we know about Nintendo is that they want you to buy more pokemon games.

does that help? And a sidenote..like I mentioned in another post Idk how much the DS catridges can hold so more saved files could mean limited capabilities in other aspects (graphics, etc).

Volroc

The Unpredictability Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2015
    Hahahah, please THINK before posting.
    When playinjg Zelda, you just go through the story and have a great time and you're done.
    When playing pokemon, you trade, collect pokemon, and items, and every time you play its a different experience. They're two completely different games.

And PipVoda is right. Having a second save file would only mean half the experience of a usual pokemon game.

you should THINK before you insult sumone baka.

i did THINK thats why i posted it, just cuz you go threw the storyline, and end doesnt mean its the end, alot of fans enjoy goin over the storyline multiple times, i am one of them.
    so maybe you should THINK before you act so rudely.
    ------------------------
    i think they should put 2save files, that way one can have their main file were they collect their pokemon, and everythin
    and the 2nd could be used simple to play threw the storyline multiple times.
    not only that, they could always do the "2nd Quest"
    where you can start over with everythin you already obtained
    they started that with yugioh world championship after many fans kept askin for it, sure it took them 2years to get the hint, but nintendo isnt completely hopeless.
    after all theirs multiple games in the zelda franchise that do the "2nd Quest" thing ^_^ the original zelda is 1 of them, majoras mask is another ^_^

Esmas

General
    Years
  • It won't happen. There's too much in a tiny Pokémon game to hold two (or more O___o) save files, and it'd be too easy to trade from game to game. And anyway, it's a trio of games, so that's three save files right there.

Years
  • It won't happen. There's too much in a tiny Pokémon game to hold two (or more O___o) save files

Wrong. There was quite a bit leftover space in the 4th gen games. Game Freak could have given us multiple save files in GSC.

And anyway, it's a trio of games, so that's three save files right there.
    I shouldn't have to pay $35-$40 for another save file.

Hahahah, please THINK before posting.
    When playinjg Zelda, you just go through the story and have a great time and you're done.
    When playing pokemon, you trade, collect pokemon, and items, and every time you play its a different experience. They're two completely different games.

And PipVoda is right. Having a second save file would only mean half the experience of a usual pokemon game.
    Hahahah, please STOP insulting other members. :)

There are plenty of collecting games that save multiple save files. Look at the Monster Hunter series, it's avery similar to Pokemon in some aspects.There's a very shallow plot and the game is focused on collecting. This game gives you multiple save files and it doesn't harm it at all.

I'm Kirbychu, and I support the multiple save file notion.

Kanto_Johto

Never glimpse the truth
    Years
  • Whoever thinks that having more than one save file on a Pokemon game is a feasible concept is an idiot, to put it lightly. Nintendo want to make as much money as they can from these games, and know that some people are going to buy both so they can collect all the Pokemon.

This is why they have version exclusive Pokemon. They wouldn't make two different versions otherwise. The explanation to the Zelda and Mario games having 2-3 save files is that there is only one versions of the game per 2-3 years.

NikoBelic999

Friendly Hometown Mugger....XD
    Years
  • Have you noticed that the cartridge is small? All of those pokemon and all of those places, AND the 3D? It is almost impossible, unless you expand the size and the NDS or NDSi.

I dont want another because it has too much responsibility. UNLESS it had black and white on one cartridge.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2014
    Like what Niko said, too much memory, although, it would be useful to have it, then you wouldn't have to worry about buying another cartridge or resetting a good file of yours, but, you could just buy the opposite version of that Generation, and it could be worth it considering they are saying there will be differences between the two games beside version exclusives, ( I think? ) So yeah, just enjoy yourself.

Nickmonster

I AmThe Best So Give It A Rest
    Years
  • I doubt this could happan,even do i would like this happan as much as you.like everyon esles saying,there trying to make money.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    Yeah. Get the game and a CycloDS, dump it, get the latest version (once it's perfected) and you can have 3 savefiles now! 2 Saves on the CycloDS (because of Normal and Alternative save method) and a save on your real card. I did that with Pearl.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I really don't think it's possible though...
    So what if you save before catching a legendary, then saved when you captured it, and go back and try for another one?
    I doubt it.

dozo

party hardy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    That would be far too fantastic and easy for everyone, so they won't consider it.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • I don't want two or more save files.

A Pokémon game is supposed to be your game with your captured Pokémon, having multiple save-files, characters, and captured Pokémon would ruin the atmosphere in my honest opinion.

Mattysaurus

Take it slow, braaah
    Years
  • I don't think it's a matter of the size of the cartridge, but that Nintendo would lose sales that way. People wouldn't need to buy two of the games because they would already be basically owning two of the games and so on. 2 save files = 2 games, basically.

And what someone before me said, about the Zelda and Mario having separate save files, it's because there was only one for every couple of years, whereas Pokemon has two-three versions every couple of years.

Cyberglass

the stuff Porygon are made of
    Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2022
    What would be the actual in-game benefit of multiple save files? Wouldn't it actually not help at all for collecting, since you still only have one version and you would still need a second game as an intermediary to trade between the two save files (in which case you could just restart the second game after trading the starter in the first five minutes, and get all three starters anyway)?

Beelzenef

Luffy
    Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen May 2, 2011
    I wish, being able to have 2 files would be an advantage for most people.

But Nintendo wouldn't do this for Pokemon. :U

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    This won't happen. It should, but it won't unfortunately. This has been talked about for the last decade, I don't think they will change their minds now.

yeah I definitely know if I worked for Nintendo I'd never take that idea into consideration.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2010
    It would be awesome, but I cant see it happening unfortunately. Nintendo makes there money off people buying multiple copies.

Exactly what I was thinking.

But yeah it will probably will never happen with any Pokemon games in the future, as convenient as it would be. I hate start new files because I end up being attached to at least a few Pokemon....:/

Years
  • Have you noticed that the cartridge is small? All of those pokemon and all of those places, AND the 3D? It is almost impossible, unless you expand the size and the NDS or NDSi.

Like what Niko said, too much memory

You guys do realize that the games already have two save files? One is the main one and the other is a back-up file that boots up whenever the main one gets corrupted. Whenever you save, your previous save file becomes the back-up save file.

Bloothump

the Sea Fungi Pokemon.
    Years
  • you should THINK before you insult sumone baka.

i did THINK thats why i posted it, just cuz you go threw the storyline, and end doesnt mean its the end, alot of fans enjoy goin over the storyline multiple times, i am one of them.
    so maybe you should THINK before you act so rudely.

You're right, I was rude, and I apologise. I was irritated by something and I brought that here and that was wrong. I didn't mean anything against you personally, ahaha.

Anwho~ I understand that Zelda has multiple save files, I usually utilize this and play twice with every game i get. But the difference is with Zelda there is no trading or collecting, so Nintendo doesn't have to worry about anyone abusing the system. 2 save files means 2 legendaries, 2 starters, 2 master balls, and half the money.

Again, I apologise for being such a jerk, that's not usually who I am and it won't happen again.

Back