• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mixing card games?

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    Can you mix cards from past games with cards from black, white, xy and such? Or are your old cards worthless to the next generation games? I know they may be weaker but can they play?

Years
  • I'm assuming that you're asking about the TCG? If that's the case, then any sets after Black & White Next Destinies aren't able to be used in official league play under the Modified Format. You can still collect the older cards and play with them recreationally, though.

Since I'm not an expert on the card game though, I'll move your thread over to our Pokemon TCG forum, in case you have any more questions or you'd like someone to elaborate a bit further.

MOVED.

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2014
    I'm thankful for the reply but can someone break it down just a bit more for a noob? I'm starting to get it.

Years
  • For play amongst friends, you can use cards from any set, as long as it's an actual card from the Pokemon Trading Card Game, since they are all part of the same game. It's not like they completely changed the rules with the release of each set, just some tweaks every once in a while based on what is becoming problematic at official tournaments.

For official tournament play, the sets you can use are much more restricted. As of right now, the sets listed in the first post of this thread are the only sets that can be used at official tournaments.

This help at all?

Back