• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

rate my weather team(s)

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
Years
  • this is my idea for a rain team. ill post other ideas for different weather teams later as i develop them. im on PO so making any change is not a problem.

this is what i have so far:

politoed
    trait- drizzle
    nature- bold
    EVs- HP 252/ def 168/ sp. att 32/ sp. def 56
    item- leftovers
    -scald
    -ice beam
    -hypnosis
    -HP ground

pretty simple poke. it gets up the rain, then switches out.

Jolteon
    trait- volt absorb
    nature- timid
    EVs- 252 SP. Att/ 252 Spd
    item- chioce specs
    -thunder
    -volt switch
    -HP water
    -shadow ball

jolteon helps politoed by absorbing electric moves. HP water to wreck ground types. shadow ball for filler.

Ferrothorn
    trait- iron barbs
    nature- brave
    EVs- 100 att/ 156 def/ 252 sp. def
    item- leftovers
    -stealth rock
    -spikes
    -gyro ball
    -power whip

i thought ferro would work better in a rain team because rain reduces fire moves power. i went with leftys as a filler item.

Zapdos
    trait- pressure
    nature- modest
    EVs- 56 hp/ 100 def/ 252 sp. att/ 100 sp. def
    item- life orb
    -thunderbolt
    -roost
    -HP water
    -volt switch

this would be the poke i use to inflict a good amount of damage. HP water fro the same reason as jolteon. same with v switch. tbolt for STAB and roost to recover when im in red hp.

Porygon2
    trait- analytic
    nature- bold
    EVs- 108 hp/ 200 def, sp. def
    item- evolite
    -toxic
    -recover
    -ice beam
    -tri-attack

a wall, nothing more, nothing less. trait powers up moves when im slow so i hope a STAB tri-attack will do some damage. ice beam for coverage and toxic/recover to stall out bulky pokes.

Manaphy
    trait- hydration
    nature- modest
    EVs- 80 def, sp. def/ 252 sp. att/ 96 spd
    item-rocky helmet
    -scald
    -substitute
    -ice beam
    -calm mind

just a random filler.

please post any and all ways i can improve this team. i was actually making the team at the same time i posted this so it will probably need some work.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Politoed's special bulk is good enough already, so it can go with 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef. I know that HP Ground is for Electrics, but a neutral rain-boosted Hydro Pump outdamages a supereffective HP Ground. Use another support move like Encore or Perish Song in its place.

Rotom-W is a better alternative over Zapdos because it gains STAB in Hydro Pump, despite being slightly weaker and slower:
    -Thunder/Volt Switch
    -Hydro Pump
    -Hidden Power (Ice)
    -Trick
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

Porygon2 is somewhat out of place to me here. Your team is full of Special attackers, so I think another physical-oriented Pokemon like Scizor should help you out here; its Fire weakness is reduced in the rain:
    -U-turn
    -Bullet Punch
    -Superpower/Brick Break
    -Pursuit/Quick Attack
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Choice Band
    Ability: Technician

Manaphy is an Uber, so it can't be used in OU teams. I think that Toxicroak can go in its place as another Pokemon that benefits from the rain:
    -Bulk Up
    -Drain Punch
    -Sucker Punch
    -Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 244 HP/252 Atk/12 Def
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Dry Skin

Or you can use Starmie to act as a Rapid Spinner for the team (to get rid of hazards set):
    -Rapid Spin
    -Hydro Pump
    -Thunder
    -Ice Beam/Recover
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    Ability: Natural Cure

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
    Years
  • i forgot that manaphy is an uber so i just used it. its actually lived some impressive hits, so i can guess why its uber. and ill try the rotom wash.
    instead of getting rid of pory2, i think ill replace manaphy with scizor because i really use it to take his that would kill pokes like jolteon. plus the ice beam helps with pokes like d-nite.

and ill try the rotom wash.

i tryed the rotom-w and i think im just gonna stay with zapdos. it can take a hit better and has the HP water so it can still do a good amount of damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i tryed the rotom-w and i think im just gonna stay with zapdos. it can take a hit better and has the HP water so it can still do a good amount of damage.

The reason why Rotom-W is used over Zapdos is because of the immense power Hydro Pump has in the rain. Zapdos also has a Stealth Rock weakness, even though it can be mitigated by Roost. Outside of Rain, HP Water is relatively weak.

If you want to stick with Zapdos, that's fine.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
    Years
  • i do know that rotom-w STAB, rain boosted hydro pump is a lot stronger than HP water on a zapdos, but it can take a good hit.

also, im starting to notice something about this team, it gets destroyed by breeloms. esspecally sub, bulk up, staller/sweeper breeloms. any tips to help me cover up/ get rid of this massive weakness?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • i do know that rotom-w STAB, rain boosted hydro pump is a lot stronger than HP water on a zapdos, but it can take a good hit.

also, im starting to notice something about this team, it gets destroyed by breeloms. esspecally sub, bulk up, staller/sweeper breeloms. any tips to help me cover up/ get rid of this massive weakness?

Well, Volcarona can handle Breloom thanks to Hurricane (and Fire Blast if your rain gets cleared). Skarmory also can tank Breloom's hits and strike back with Brave Bird.

Dragonite is another Pokemon that can counter Breloom pretty nicely:
    -Hurricane
    -Aqua Tail
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Roost/Superpower
    Nature: Quiet/Rash
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe

or
    -Hurricane
    -Dragon Tail
    -Thunder
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/108 SAtk/148 SDef
    Ability: Multiscale
    (if you're wondering why Dragon Tail is there on a special Dragonite, it's only there for the phazing utility it provides, rather than the damage output)

I'll let someone else figure out where Dragonite can go.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
    Years
  • Well, Volcarona can handle Breloom thanks to Hurricane (and Fire Blast if your rain gets cleared). Skarmory also can tank Breloom's hits and strike back with Brave Bird.

Dragonite is another Pokemon that can counter Breloom pretty nicely:
    -Hurricane
    -Aqua Tail
    -ExtremeSpeed
    -Roost/Superpower
    Nature: Quiet/Rash
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe

or
    -Hurricane
    -Dragon Tail
    -Thunder
    -Roost
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 252 HP/108 SAtk/148 SDef
    Ability: Multiscale
    (if you're wondering why Dragon Tail is there on a special Dragonite, it's only there for the phazing utility it provides, rather than the damage output)

I'll let someone else figure out where Dragonite can go.

thanks for the tip. i think d-nite could go in place of zapdos, but thats a big maybe. ill test it and see if it helps.

okay, so im trying a d-nite set as suggested, this is what it looks like:

Dragonite lv. 100
    trait- multiscale
    nature- modest
    EVs- 176 hp/ 60 def, sp. def/ 156 sp. att/ 56 spd
    item- leftovers
    -hurricane
    -thunder
    -roost
    -extremespeed

okay so basicly STAB hurricane to hit pokes like breeloom. thunder for a hard hitting move. roost to get rid of damage. e-speed to revenge kill.

ill probably mess with the EVs to up damage after somemore suggestions.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • okay, so im trying a d-nite set as suggested, this is what it looks like:

Dragonite lv. 100
    trait- multiscale
    nature- modest
    EVs- 176 hp/ 60 def, sp. def/ 156 sp. att/ 56 spd
    item- leftovers
    -hurricane
    -thunder
    -roost
    -extremespeed

okay so basicly STAB hurricane to hit pokes like breeloom. thunder for a hard hitting move. roost to get rid of damage. e-speed to revenge kill.

ill probably mess with the EVs to up damage after somemore suggestions.

Dragonite needs all the power it can get if it's being used offensively. That EV spread pretty much wastes that potential, and Dragonite is naturally bulky.

In that case, replace Thunder with Aqua Tail, since Water has good coverage with Normal and Flying, and use Quiet or Rash with 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe.

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
    Years
  • Dragonite needs all the power it can get if it's being used offensively. That EV spread pretty much wastes that potential, and Dragonite is naturally bulky.

In that case, replace Thunder with Aqua Tail, since Water has good coverage with Normal and Flying, and use Quiet or Rash with 252 Atk/252 SAtk/4 Spe.

normal/flying? any way ill take your advice and give d-nite more power, but the extra bulk on it has saved it too many times to count.

okay, i think ill switch to a sand team to see if its any good, here are some pokemon ive got so far:

Tyranitar
    item- leftovers
    trait- sand stream
    EVs- 196hp/ 200att/ 56def/ sp.def
    nature- adamant
    -dragon dance
    -stealth rock
    -earthquake
    -rock slide

okay so pretty simple set. trait gets up sand, rocks for hazards, dd to set up of it lives that long, eq for power, and rock slide for STAB.

Gliscor
    item- toxic orb
    trait- poison heal
    EVs- 156hp/ 56att/ 140def/ 44sp.def/ 116spd
    nature- careful
    -facade
    -earthquake
    -swords dance
    -protect

this thing is a BEAST. set up with SD, 140 base power facade for damage on anything that resists EQ, protect to help heal and not get hit.

Virizion
    item- big root
    trait- justified
    EVs- 196att/ 156sp.att/spd
    -giga drain
    -sacred sword
    -stone edge
    -swords dance

okay, so SD to set up, giga to heal off damage, SS for STAB, stone edge for flying types.

for now this is all i have, i posted this to hear your suggestions for more pokes to add.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Tyranitar can't set up DD and SR at the same time, since that's putting too much on the plate. It doesn't have time to do both; it has to choose between one or the other:
    -Stealth Rock
    -Crunch
    -Fire Blast
    -Superpower/Ice Beam/Stone Edge
    Nature: Sassy
    EVs: 252 HP/64 SAtk/192 SDef
    Ability: Sandstream

or
    -Dragon Dance
    -Stone Edge
    -Crunch
    -Aqua Tail/Fire Punch/Earthquake
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Lum Berry
    Ability: Sand Stream

Use this EV spread on Gliscor: 252 HP/184 Def/72 Spe. Seriously, that's the most effective spread it can use, and even with specially defensive investment, Gliscor still dies to Water and Ice moves.

If you're using both physical and special attacks on Virizion, use Work Up:
    -Work Up
    -Close Combat
    -Giga Drain
    -Stone Edge/Hidden Power (Ice)
    Nature: Hasty/Naive
    EVs: 104 Atk/152 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

If you want to stick to Swords Dance, replace Giga Drain with Leaf Blade and the item with Leftovers or Life Orb. Use the EV spread 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe. I know that you want to try out new EV spreads (as seen in your other thread), but the Smogon ones are much much more effective.

Last edited:

Geass20

The Light and The Dark
    Years
  • i think ill go with the first set, as hazards are a must. and i know Smogen effective but theyre just too mainstream for me, i like to use sets that catch people off guard and make it hard for them to win.

i do compare my sets to the Smogen ones though, and i see where i can improve.

and where do you see special moves on Gliscor? and i think ill try the Gliscor set because of sandstorms sp.def raise.

got any guys you'd recommend for this team?

im using Landorus set

Landorus
    item- expert belt
    trait- sand force
    EVs- 252att/ 4sp.att/ 252spd
    nature- naive
    -earthquake
    -HP ice
    -smack down
    -u-turn

okay so EQ for STAB, HP ice for Gliscors and flying types, smack down filler, and u-turn for scouting.

any tips?

Back