• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Atheist Alliance

Years
We believe that Adam and Eve are the first humans to have come on Earth; the first companions of God (not counting angels). Yet, from the moment mankind sinned, our genetic DNA has been spiraling downwards. Mutations in the DNA replication, RNA failures, etc. In the Bible, people used to live 600 years; now, people live to about 100. If they're lucky and have advanced medical treatment. Genetic diseases are starting to come about more and more frequently. I'd say that homosexuality came from somewhere around that spiral downwards. I mean, if God wanted/was all right with homosexuality, he would have mentioned it in the Bible... in biblical times, it was abhorrent to be homosexual. If it was all right, you might think he might have said something to clear things up. And yes, I know people who are homosexual can't help it, but that doesn't mean they have to follow their impulses. A few kids still stay virgin until they marry, the same way, why can't homosexuals practice abstinence? I know some people don't have intercourse ever as well. I myself believe that homosexuality is wrong, but people can choose to believe what they wish. I don't pretend to say I know exactly what God wants, but I think I am saying what he wants right here.
But even just 100 years ago people didn't live nearly as long as they do today. We've got tons of documents are records showing that people are gradually living longer as time goes by, not the other way around. Perhaps genetic diseases aren't becoming more frequent, just our ability to detect them and the fact that people aren't dying as early and so diseases have more time to manifest themselves. In other words, you wouldn't know if there were a lot of genetic diseases from a long time ago because people wouldn't know what to look for and lots of people who had them could easily have died from war, malnutrition, etc. before their conditions had a chance to show. I'd say it's a hard case to make that people are "spiraling downwards." And if we're not, then you can't really say that homosexuality is part of that non-existent downward trend. No connection between homosexuality and sin. So why should homosexuals have to stay abstinent any more than anyone else?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
And yes, I know people who are homosexual can't help it, but that doesn't mean they have to follow their impulses. A few kids still stay virgin until they marry, the same way, why can't homosexuals practice abstinence?
Why would we want to? (I'm both Gay and Christian btw.) If God supposedly gave us free will, then why has he laid out this mandate that we must love who he tells us to love? If I have to love the opposite sex to get into heaven, why can't I choose to be a girl then? And why would he care for that matter? I have never heard any reason that being Gay is bad other than "God said so." (Which he didn't.) That's just not good enough for me.

FrostPheonix

Eternity.
Years
In my opinion this train of thought is actually quite dangerous - you are saying genetic mutations are driven by sin? So things like Cancer, etc. are all because the individual, or humans as a whole, are sinful?

...yes. Humans were supposed to live forever when God initially designed us. When we sinned, we lost that gift. So I'm guessing that from there we continually started getting a lower lifespan. Diseases, though, aren't because of that, diseases are just genetically developing bacteria. Like AIDs. not anything from that. But our immune system is probably deteriorating, kind of a result of our lifespans lowering. And Adam was the epitome of Human DNA, the perfect DNA strand. As humans progress, DNA replication malfunctions accumulate and cause mutations, leading to the Human DNA continually deteriorating.

"I don't pretend to say I know exactly what God wants, but I think I am saying what he wants right here."

Read as: "I don't know what God wants, but I'd guess it's exactly how I feel - and so I'll condemn you in his name."
Not what I meant. I meant, here's what I think, and I in no way am trying to say this is exactly what god wants. Sorry if that come out wrong.

But even just 100 years ago people didn't live nearly as long as they do today. We've got tons of documents are records showing that people are gradually living longer as time goes by, not the other way around. Perhaps genetic diseases aren't becoming more frequent, just our ability to detect them and the fact that people aren't dying as early and so diseases have more time to manifest themselves. In other words, you wouldn't know if there were a lot of genetic diseases from a long time ago because people wouldn't know what to look for and lots of people who had them could easily have died from war, malnutrition, etc. before their conditions had a chance to show. I'd say it's a hard case to make that people are "spiraling downwards."

Human 'medical science' has basically been avoiding death. Smallpox has been pretty much destroyed. Polio etc are virtually non existent in Western countries. 100 years ago, we didn't have the medical expertise we have now. But, should we take medicine out of the equation, I'm sure we'll see the same pattern of decreasing life expectancies. the book 'The Long Emergency', by Kunstler, is basically forecasting this. When oil runs out, we won't be able to produce medicine by the vast quantities we do now anymore, and disease will start to go rampant. Its thanks to modern medicine that we are where we are now. If medicine stayed stagnant, we would probably be dying out a heck of a lot quicker.

And if we're not, then you can't really say that homosexuality is part of that non-existent downward trend. No connection between homosexuality and sin. So why should homosexuals have to stay abstinent any more than anyone else?

I take that back then. All of you have overwhelmed me ^^. At the moment, I have no concrete reason I could tell you except gut instinct, and that won't count here.

Why would we want to? (I'm both Gay and Christian btw.) If God supposedly gave us free will, then why has he laid out this mandate that we must love who he tells us to love? If I have to love the opposite sex to get into heaven, why can't I choose to be a girl then? And why would he care for that matter? I have never heard any reason that being Gay is bad other than "God said so." (Which he didn't.) That's just not good enough for me.

I have no reason at the moment... like I said above, I only have gut instinct. Which doesn't count as much, really, since you could say the same ^^. I retreat from the homosexuality front; I can't really argue there anymore. Not until I have a good think over it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Human 'medical science' has basically been avoiding death. Smallpox has been pretty much destroyed. Polio etc are virtually non existent in Western countries. 100 years ago, we didn't have the medical expertise we have now. But, should we take medicine out of the equation, I'm sure we'll see the same pattern of decreasing life expectancies. the book 'The Long Emergency', by Kunstler, is basically forecasting this. When oil runs out, we won't be able to produce medicine by the vast quantities we do now anymore, and disease will start to go rampant. Its thanks to modern medicine that we are where we are now. If medicine stayed stagnant, we would probably be dying out a heck of a lot quicker.

Do you have any fact-based argument of this? How do you remove medicine from the fabric of human lives? What makes you think that lifespans would be getting shorter if not for medicine, other that 'I think this'?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
http://blog.chron.com/believeitornot/2012/03/texas-christians-raise-money-for-ailing-atheist-critic/

I know we've been sort of hating on Christians a little bit. So, when I saw this story, I thought I should post it here, to shed a little light on what Christianity is actually supposed to be. I hardly ever hear stories like this anymore, but this is how Christians should be acting. Not out there telling people that they're evil, or that God hates them, but showing as much love and kindness as possible, no matter what the other person has done to them.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
The "gofundme.com" URL I misread as "godfoundme.com" haha.

Texans in general have been exceeding expectations everywhere recently. There was that video that was posted in the LGBT Club a while ago that showed the wonderful way in which the patrons of a diner reacted to a judgmental waitress waiting on a lesbian couple and their children - and now this. It really does change the stereotype away from the gun-toting Christian hicks for which Texas (as well as other Southern states) is known. Either way, I loved that story!

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
My friend and I, a long time ago, once decided that religions are potatoes.

Religions are like a sack of potatoes. You open it up and there are so many different choices for each potato.

Islam is a plain hot potato. Outside it's covered with a rough exterior skin of rituals and dogma. It's plain and to the point, and handle it too much and you're likely to be burned. It also claims to be just like the normal potatoe, but you're still likely to get burned.

Catholicism is like a loaded baked potato. This one, unlike the Islamic potatoe, has been left to cool and is 'older' than the Islamic potato. It also has a rough outer skin of rituals and dogma, but it's been opened up and 'sweetened' over time by things like sour cream, chives, butter, and cheese to make it more appealing. This is, even though it's older if you delve to far in you're still likely to get a nice burn.

Judaism is a frozen potato, it's much older than the Catholic or Islamic potato, and costs more too.

Protestants and Moderate Christians are like fast food french fries. They're a mixed up bunch, but if you look back far enough they were once a regular potato. But some have too much salt, or not enough, and some are overcooked, or cold, or soggy, or way to hot to handle. (coughWestborocoughcough).

Scientology is an empty potato sack that you have to pay to have refilled with new potatoes that are 'better' than other potatoes.

Pagans are like mashed potatoes, they look nothing like other potatoes and they have been mashed up and degraded over time.

Buddhists, Taoism, and Hinduism are Asian and don't eat potatoes, they're rice instead.

We were insane teenagers...shhhhh.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
But the only kind of potato I like is a baked potato with nothing on it... so I'm Muslim?

Phantom1

Years
It's an analogy for what the religions are, not it's worshipers. lol

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
But as a worshiper, surely I like my religion, right?

And the only potato I like is a plain baked potato. (I was joking anyway. lol)

Phantom1

Years
Well, the religions are like those potatoes, so yeah I guess you're now a Muslim.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
And I suppose Atheism is like not having a potato at all, so you guys get to go hungry. :P

Or perhaps you get to eat candy instead. Depending on how you look at it.

droomph

weeb
Years
SIGN ME UP OH BOY
Also, whilst I'm still in a semi angry state, this is my #1 Christian Pet Peeve:

"I don't pretend to say I know exactly what God wants, but I think I am saying what he wants right here."

Read as: "I don't know what God wants, but I'd guess it's exactly how I feel - and so I'll condemn you in his name."
Those aren't real and true Christians. Just saying. ^^ Trust me I know. The real mindset is more like "Holy crap guys let's go love the Bible" which is not necessarily bad (nor am I poking fun at those kinds of Christians) but it's kinda makes them look like lunatics.
Actually yes, it does say. It's saying, "Don't do another man, because that' disgraceful". However, it says nothing about lesbians, so...

However, in Christianity, it says to do the best you can, but if you appreciate all that He is (like tolerating people *hint hint*) and try your best He'll forgive you of all the crappy aspects of yourself, like the "gay" part, or the "crack and morphine" part.
My friend and I, a long time ago, once decided that religions are potatoes.

Religions are like a sack of potatoes. You open it up and there are so many different choices for each potato.

Islam is a plain hot potato. Outside it's covered with a rough exterior skin of rituals and dogma. It's plain and to the point, and handle it too much and you're likely to be burned. It also claims to be just like the normal potatoe, but you're still likely to get burned.

Catholicism is like a loaded baked potato. This one, unlike the Islamic potatoe, has been left to cool and is 'older' than the Islamic potato. It also has a rough outer skin of rituals and dogma, but it's been opened up and 'sweetened' over time by things like sour cream, chives, butter, and cheese to make it more appealing. This is, even though it's older if you delve to far in you're still likely to get a nice burn.

Judaism is a frozen potato, it's much older than the Catholic or Islamic potato, and costs more too.

Protestants and Moderate Christians are like fast food french fries. They're a mixed up bunch, but if you look back far enough they were once a regular potato. But some have too much salt, or not enough, and some are overcooked, or cold, or soggy, or way to hot to handle. (coughWestborocoughcough).

Scientology is an empty potato sack that you have to pay to have refilled with new potatoes that are 'better' than other potatoes.

Pagans are like mashed potatoes, they look nothing like other potatoes and they have been mashed up and degraded over time.

Buddhists, Taoism, and Hinduism are Asian and don't eat potatoes, they're rice instead.

We were insane teenagers...shhhhh.
You forgot Nondenominational Christians. They're probably like fresh french fries...crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside ^^

Also Shintoism is probably like A DELICIOUS MOCHI CAKE OH YEAH.もちもち〜〜もちがほしいですよ〜
And I suppose Atheism is like not having a potato at all, so you guys get to go hungry. :P

Or perhaps you get to eat candy instead. Depending on how you look at it.
Nah, it's more like a sweet potato and everybody judges you because of that.

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I'm surprised Atheists don't call it zombie day. That would be hilarious if I wasn't Christian. lol :P

Jarred0809

The Eternal Lurker
Years
Sign me up, I've had it with the /r/atheism circlejerk.
This (and stuff exactly like it) has been shared by at least a dozen of my Facebook friends. It gets annoying after 20 seconds of scrolling through this picture with comments like "Aww I love you 2 Jesus!!! Praying for _____ today!"
MZeL5.jpg

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
That's interesting that as a student at a catholic school I haven't seen much of that at all.

It rolled over to Easter while I was drunk. I then took advantage of the amazing food my dining hall offers for dinner and crawled into bed lool.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I never do anything for Easter... I wish I could do the Easter egg hunting thing again tbh, but I'm too old for that, so there's not really anything to do.

droomph

weeb
Years
Well...haven't you thought about reading the Bible? It's lots of fun, seriously! I mean, lots of angry Jewish people stoning Christians but STILL IT'S FUN

Back