• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Origins of Easter

HackChu

I need a haircut...
Years
  • I finally came up with a somewhat good topic to talk about. Something a bit different from what we're used to in this section. I bring you all a topic to discuss Easter! But no, not about what you're doing for Easter or if you're religious or celebrate it, rather, to talk about the origins and what Easter stands for under the surface.

For centuries it was believed that Jesus died and rose on the third day, to celebrate this, Easter was created(corect me if I'm wrong). But lo and behold, Easter has been around way before there was any talk of a Jesus! The same for Christmas as well and other holidays but that's for another topic. It's also worth mentioning that the gregorian calender was also created in a way to appease Sun Gods...that's why...Sun Gods! This is where Easter and other traditions stem from! Underneath it all, what we have been born into is a Babylonian world, which traditions are practiced today were done in old Babylon. Even if you are not religious, you are and still are living in a world that is virtually Pagan. But we will get to this later.

Sure enough, many Christians/Catholics will come here and may be even afraid to post or may try to deny these facts. Atheists may look at the thread and not care because I'm going to use the Bible itself to disprove many things in regards to these Pagan holidays we celebrate. Then there are people like me, who are in the middle, not religious, but also believe in a God. In any case, I hope this turns into a "Mature" discussion and not about what religion is this and that. Or if God is real or not. This is not what the topic is about. Thios topic is about the pagan holidays that Christians/Catholics unknowingly celebrate. In fact I can say, that when I walked this path and awoken to these facts, that's when my religious beliefs were challenged and I then decided to be religious no more. Anyways...lets begin.

Easter

Most people follow along as they have been taught, assuming that what they believe and do is right. They take their beliefs for granted. Most do not take time to prove why they do the things that they do.

Why do you believe what you believe? Where did you get your beliefs? Is the source of your religious beliefs the Bible or some other authority? If you say the Bible, are you sure?

What about Easter? Since hundreds of millions keep it, supposedly in honor of Jesus Christ's Resurrection, then certainly the Bible must have much to say about it. Surely there are numerous verses mentioning rabbits, eggs and egg hunts, baskets of candy, hot cross buns, Lent, Good Friday and sunrise services, not to mention Easter itself.

Bible Authority for Easter?]

The Bible is the source for all things Christian. Does it mention Easter? Yes.

Notice Acts 12:1. King Herod began to persecute the Church, culminating in the brutal death of the apostle James by sword. This pleased the Jews so much that the apostle Peter was also taken prisoner by Herod. The plan was to later deliver him to the Jews. Verse 3 says, "Then were the days of unleavened bread." The New Testament Church was observing these feast days described in Leviticus 23. Now read verse 4: "And when he [Herod] had apprehended him, he put him in prison, and delivered him to four quaternions [sixteen] of soldiers to keep him; intending after Easter to bring him forth to the people."

This passage is not talking about Easter. How do we know? The word translated Easter is the Greek word pascha (derived from the Hebrew word pesach; there is no original Greek word for Passover), and it has only one meaning. It always means Passover, it can never mean Easter! For this reason, we find a Hebrew word used in the Greek New Testament. Once again, this Hebrew word can only refer to Passover.

Now let's go to the other scriptures authorizing Easter. This presents a problem. There are NONE! There are absolutely no verses, anywhere in the Bible, that authorize or endorse the keeping of Easter celebration! The Bible says nothing about Lent, eggs and egg hunts, baskets of candy, etc., although it does mention hot cross buns and sunrise services as abominations, which God condemns. We will examine them and learn why.

Eggs, Egg Hunts and Easter

Eggs have always been associated with the Easter celebration. Nearly every culture in the modern world has a long tradition of coloring eggs in beautiful and different ways.

Notice the following: "The origin of the Easter egg is based on the fertility lore of the Indo-European races…The egg to them was a symbol of spring…In Christian times the egg had bestowed upon it a religious interpretation, becoming a symbol of the rock tomb out of which Christ emerged to the new life of His resurrection" (Francis X. Weiser, Handbook of Christian Feasts and Customs, p. 233). This is a direct example of exactly how pagan symbols and customs are "Christianized," i.e., Christian-sounding names are superimposed over pagan customs. This is done to deceive—as well as make people feel better about why they are following a custom that is not in the Bible.

Notice: "Around the Christian observance of Easter…folk customs have collected, many of which have been handed down from the ancient ceremonial…symbolism of European and Middle Eastern pagan spring festivals…for example, eggs…have been very prominent as symbols of new life and resurrection" (Encyclopaedia Britannica, 1991 ed., Vol. 4, p. 333).

Finally, the following comes from Egyptian Belief and Modern Thought, James Bonwick, pp. 211-212: "Eggs were hung up in the Egyptian temples. Bunsen calls attention to the mundane egg, the emblem of generative life, proceeding from the mouth of the great god of Egypt. The mystic egg of Babylon, hatching the Venus Ishtar, fell from heaven to the Euphrates. Dyed eggs were sacred Easter offerings in Egypt, as they are still in China and Europe. Easter, or spring, was the season of birth, terrestrial and celestial."

It naturally progressed that the egg, representing spring and fertility, would be merged into an already pagan springtime festival. Connecting this symbol to Christ's Resurrection in the spring required much creativity and human reasoning. However, even highly creative human reasoning has never been able to successfully connect the next Easter symbol to anything Christian, because there is not a single word about it anywhere in the New Testament!

As many of you can probably see, given the evidence above, Easter is clearly Pagan, it never had anything to do with "Jesus". In addition to that, The "Easer Bunny" has nothing to do with Jesus either, in fact, the Easer Bunny was modeled after the "Egyption God" Easter because of fertilization and eggs. The coloring of eggs was a tradition used to appease Easter, coloring the eggs in babies blood. It's also worth mentiong that Easter is always on a SUNday. Each name of the week corresponds with a pagan deity.

I can go on and on but I think I've made my point. I may even do one on Christmas as well. If you're like me, hindering in the balence between both sides(non religious and religious)then sure enough these things may make you question a lot of things. Even if ther is no God, it's still worth to knoow that we live in a pagan world, and that in itself is kinda scary...to me anyway!

Discuss!

Years
  • Rabbits and eggs are symbols of fertility, yes. (I think the name "Easter" even comes from a fertility goddess.) I know that the rabbits and eggs aren't the Easter experience you get in church (are they?), but it's what you get in the culture. It's what you see and what you experience as a kid. Easter also tends to fall around the spring equinox, and solar events like that were important to a lot of ancient/pagan/non-christian cultures.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that lots of modern Christian holidays had origins in pagan traditions and that they were just adopted into Christianity, and changed a bit, to help get people on board with the religion. I mean, a man in a red suit giving toys to children isn't something you find in the Bible either. It's just what lots of old religions did. Look at the Romans. They took a whole slew of Greek gods and made them their own.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
    Years
  • Rabbits and eggs are symbols of fertility, yes. (I think the name "Easter" even comes from a fertility goddess.) I know that the rabbits and eggs aren't the Easter experience you get in church (are they?), but it's what you get in the culture. It's what you see and what you experience as a kid. Easter also tends to fall around the spring equinox, and solar events like that were important to a lot of ancient/pagan/non-christian cultures.

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that lots of modern Christian holidays had origins in pagan traditions and that they were just adopted into Christianity, and changed a bit, to help get people on board with the religion. I mean, a man in a red suit giving toys to children isn't something you find in the Bible either. It's just what lots of old religions did. Look at the Romans. They took a whole slew of Greek gods and made them their own.

Sadly its not common knowledge as many Christians/Catholics deny the origins of their holidays for obvious reasons.

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Historically, thats been their response whenever something pops up that doesn't fit in with their beliefs.

HackChu

I need a haircut...
    Years
  • Christmas was celebrated by pagan sun-worshippers for thousands of years before the Messiah was even born. It all started during the building of the tower of Babel. Nimrod supervised the operation and was called the sun-god and worshipped as such. To end this worship, Nimrod's uncle Shem, Noah's eldest son, killed Nimrod and cut his body into small pieces then scattered his body parts across the land.

Ishtar or Easter, also known by her biblical name Semiramis was the widow of Nimrod. She was called the "Queen of heaven" and claimed to have been impregnated by Nimrod through the rays of the sun and later had a son by the name of Tammuz who had a miraculous birth on December 25th. Pagans believed that Nimrod was reincarnated as Tammuz and so Easter married her son Tammuz. Pagan sun-worshippers celebrated the birthday of the reincarnate sun-god on December 25th. Scripture is very clear that we are not to celebrate this particular holiday.

The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead the dough, to make cakes to the Queen of Heaven, and to pour out drink offerings to other deities, that they may provoke Me to anger. (HIM Jeremiah 7:18)

The passage above is obviously referring to making Christmas cookies and leaving those cookies and a glass of milk for Nimrod's widow Easter who was called the queen of heaven. The only difference is now those offerings are left for Santa himself. Let's move on and read another passage from Scripture.

Thus says Yah, "Do not learn the way of the gentiles, and do not be dismayed at the signs of the heaven; for the gentiles are dismayed at them. For the customs of the peoples are vanity; for one cuts a tree out of the forest, the work of the hands of the workman with the axe. They deck it with silver and with gold; they fasten it with nails and with hammers, that it not move. (HIM Jeremiah 10:2-4)

Warning, viewer discretion is advised

Spoiler:

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
  • Oh, hooray, another one of those wondrous "religion-bashing and flame war" threads. How wonderful. One of those great places where everyone, both atheist and theist, is reduced to a snarling animal and all intelligence and rationality is left behind.

Yeah, I think I'll pass.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Sadly its not common knowledge as many Christians/Catholics deny the origins of their holidays for obvious reasons.
    I think it is common knowledge. And what would the obvious reasons be? I don't want to say "everybody does it", but... everybody did it XD

You piggyback on and eventually amalgamate existing traditions and celebration of existing religions so to spread acceptance of a new religion. That's history :x Well, less so Easter than Christmas. With Easter at least, it is intertwined with Passover hence the timing. First Sunday after the paschal full moon that occurs on or after the vernal equinox.

With that said though, Santa Claus, the East Bunny, etc... that's all the public face I guess? And in that sense, it makes sense to me that those traditions be rooted in pagan tradition like you said as those were the adopted/modifiedIt's not like there's an egg roll that takes place at the Vatican. It's... kid stuff mostly.

I'm older now, and while I do get nostalgic for Christmas specials, both holidays for me now centre on family and the religious aspect. I'm not egg hunting or writing to Santa, yet I'm still actively celebrating the holidays and what they mean to me.

Back