• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokémon Battle Labyrinth

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024

Pokémon Battle Labyrinth

Story

Hello there!
    You've been invited to participate in an experiment run by Dr. Colress of the Unova region. He has created a specialized simulation for only the strongest of trainers, called the Pokemon Battle Labyrinth! Fight your way through a gauntlet of challenge rooms, manage your resources, and build a team of Pokemon generations 1-8 in this unique, arcade-esque ROM hack.

This game is a complete deviation from the default 8 Gyms, Elite Four, evil team game progression. Instead, it implements a classic RPG dungeon crawler in Pokémon form. Players must clear different dungeons called "Zones", and can only access shops/healing spots between Zones. Offering an emphasis on challenging gameplay and resource management over story, Pokemon Battle Labyrinth contains tricky puzzles, difficult bosses, and great rewards.

Screenshots

n0I1IY5.png

Features

• Most Pokemon from generation 1-8 are available for capture. Many Pokemon have been rebalanced or changed in some way, through their base stats, abilities, movepools, or typing.
    • Dizzyegg's Battle Engine, which comes with the generation 7 battle engine, as well as functional Mega Evolution (Z-moves are not included)!
    • Soft level caps intended to emphasize strategy over grinding, as well as a balanced level curve suited to a full party of 6 Pokemon.
    • Shops that service your every need! Buy nearly every item in the game and utilize special services, including Experience training and Move Tutors.
    • Two difficulty modes, Default and Brutal. Among other features, Brutal features include no in-battle items, set mode, and no EVs.
    • An optional Randomizer mode, which randomizes wild and gift Pokemon.
    • An optional Nuzlocke mode, completely implemented with Dupes Clause, Species Clause, and Shiny Clause.
    • Quality of life features include but are not limited to: Nature colored stats, Display EV/IV on the Pokémon Stats Screen, Bag sorting, BW2 Repel prompts, Reusable TMs, Running indoors, Autorun, DS-style Pokémon Party Screen, HMs are replaced by key items, ability to add caught Pokemon to a full party and send a party mon to the PC.

Credits

• eatthepear - developer
    • Pret - original decompilers of Emerald's code
    • Dizzyegg - battle engine v2, Pokémon Expansion and Item Expansion, Scrolling Multichoice, BW2 Repel prompts
    • rhh - updated expansion branches
    • Simple Modifications Directory - a ton of small changes
    • ghoulslash - Autorun, Bag Sorting, give custom Pokémon, sideways stairs, etc
    • PokémonCrazy - Soft Exp Level caps, show EV/IV
    • Kurausukun - Nuzlocke implementation
    • AsparagusEduardo - Bag pockets
    • TheXaman - DS-style Pokémon Party Screen, HGSS style Pokedex
    • surskitty - trainer control
    • Lunos - tutorials on decomps and other help
    • kWharever, Zeo254, WesleyFG - Battle Backgrounds
    • Furret - DPPt, HGSS, BW music
    • SamuRH/Xhizy - animated RHH intro
    • SageDeoxys - Regidrago, Regieleki overworld sprites
    • Fire Red Overworld Sprite Resource - Many overworld sprites
    • Skeizerr - Shadow Triad sprites
    • Jaizu - Battle Graphics

Bugs

• The multi battle Pokémon selection screen has a slight graphical issue
    • Some Pokémon are missing their party/PC sprites. This does not affect battles at all.
    • Most bugs that are in the rhh expansion branches are also here.
    • The only emulator I can guarantee works with this ROM Hack is mGBA.
    • Please report any bugs on the Pokémon Battle Labyrinth Discord server: https://discord.gg/yu2gRzr

Current Progress

Currently up to Zone 25 is completed. The end goal is to have 50 Zones. You can see what sort of progress is being made at the Pokémon Battle Labyrinth Discord server: https://discord.gg/yu2gRzr

Download

The patch file, as well as a patching guide, can be found in the Google Drive folder below. In addition, you can find links to documentation of all Pokemon changes, Shop upgrades, items, wild Pokemon, and Trainers.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XONw7E_0JB7irsiSrGcjSjWi5Vmz5-rf?usp=sharing

Last edited:

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
    Years
  • Pokémon Battle Labyrinth

Story

Hello there!
    You've been invited to participate in an experiment run by Dr. Colress of the Unova region. He has created a specialized simulation for only the strongest of trainers, called the Pokemon Battle Labyrinth! Fight your way through a gauntlet of challenge rooms, manage your resources, and build a team of Pokemon generations 1-7 in this unique, arcade-esque ROM hack.

Features

• A complete deviation from the default 8 Gyms, Elite Four, evil team game progression. This ROM Hack is meant to emulate the RPG dungeon crawling style of other games.
    • All Pokemon from generation 1-7 are available for capture, including Alolan forms. Pokemon have been rebalanced or changed in some way, through their base stats, abilities, movepools, or typing.
    • Dizzyegg's Battle Engine, which comes with the generation 7 battle engine, as well as functional Mega Evolution (Z-moves are not included)!
    • An optional Nuzlocke mode, completely implemented with Dupes Clause, Species Clause, and Shiny Clause.
    • An emphasis on challenging gameplay and resource management over story. Expect tricky puzzles, challenging bosses, and great rewards.
    • Soft level caps intended to emphasize strategy over grinding, as well as a balanced level curve suited to a full party of 6 Pokemon.
    • Shops that service your every need! Buy nearly every item in the game and utilize special services, including Experience training and Move Tutors.
    • Quality of life features include but are not limited to: Nature colored stats, Display EV/IV on the Pokémon Stats Screen, Bag sorting, BW2 Repel prompts, Reusable TMs, Running indoors, Autorun, DS-style Pokémon Party Screen, HMs are replaced by key items

Screenshots

View attachment 93917View attachment 93918View attachment 93919View attachment 93920View attachment 93921View attachment 93922View attachment 93923View attachment 93924

Credits

• eatthepear - developer
    • Pret - original decompilers of Emerald's code
    • Dizzyegg - battle engine v2, Pokémon Expansion and Item Expansion, Scrolling Multichoice, BW2 Repel prompts
    • ghoulslash - Autorun, Bag Sorting, give custom Pokémon, repeated field medicine use, other various QoL things I've no doubt forgotten about
    • PokémonCrazy - Soft Exp Level caps, show EV/IV
    • Kurausukun - Nuzlocke implementation
    • TheXaman - DS-style Pokémon Party Screen
    • Lunos - tutorials on decomps and other help

Bugs

• Sometimes, right before you warp, if you're fast enough you can initiate the talking script again.
    • Please report any bugs on the Pokémon Battle Labyrinth Discord server: https://discord.gg/yu2gRzr

Current Progress

Currently up to Zone 10 is completed. You can see what sort of progress is being made at the Pokémon Battle Labyrinth Discord server: https://discord.gg/yu2gRzr

Download

The patch file, as well as a patching guide, can be found in the Google Drive folder below. In addition, you can find complete documentation of all Pokemon changes, Shop upgrades, items, wild Pokemon, and Trainers.
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XONw7E_0JB7irsiSrGcjSjWi5Vmz5-rf?usp=sharing

It's unique enough to warrant a try, I'll try it.

Years
  • Just beaten the current beta and can say its really awesome and easily recommendable hack that can be enjoyed for both casual and hardcore pokefans alike. Reminds me of "firered vr mission" but this has more replay value. I am excited to see more release!

I would love to share few ideas I have come up with while playing:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Just beaten the current beta and can say its really awesome and easily recommendable hack that can be enjoyed for both casual and hardcore pokefans alike. Reminds me of "firered vr mission" but this has more replay value. I am excited to see more release!

I would love to share few ideas I have come up with while playing:
    Spoiler:

Thanks! I really like some of these ideas and might use them. I will say that HM moves should be deletable, as I just tested by catching a wild Pikipek with Rock Smash and replacing with TM Protect. Let me know if this problem persists and I'll look into it.

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2022
    Hey, how many zones will be? I played the previous version and is unique ..nice idea!

Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    I seriously need to update my computer -.- Now google drive and MEGA don't work on it. This looks very cool, hope it does well.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Apologies, I forgot about this Pokécommunity thread! This hack is not completed, but it can be played up to Zone 20 at the moment. There will eventually be 50 Zones. Feel free to follow up with any more questions if you have them!

Years
    • Seen May 17, 2022
    Hey, i am stucked in zone 17. I don't know what to do. Have I to pay respects in order of death or ?

Years
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Hello! Before I try this, I'm curious. Have you buffed any of the weaker pokémon, or changed any typings? I'm assuming not, but I want to make sure. I really want to use a Bug/Ghost Parasect in this.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hello! Before I try this, I'm curious. Have you buffed any of the weaker pokémon, or changed any typings? I'm assuming not, but I want to make sure. I really want to use a Bug/Ghost Parasect in this.

Yes, many Pokemon have been buffed. Note however there are also some Pokemon specifically excluded due to balance/overcrowding reasons, including Parasect.

Hey, i am stucked in zone 17. I don't know what to do. Have I to pay respects in order of death or ?

You can find puzzle solutions in the documentation folder!

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    A new version has been released: 1.3.0 offers up to Zone 25 and many, many balance changes! Unfortunately old save files are NOT compatible.

Years
  • Hey, I plan on trying this out. This kind of concept is something I think has tons of potential, especially the randomizer mode. I'd love to be able to create extremely variable settings to exactly my own liking, though I know integrating those kinds of options and menus into a ROM isn't exactly simple, so I won't hold my breath.

If I had to pick one set of options I'd really like, it'd be a few more purist options for the pokemon. Restoring move accuracy/power/PP values, original typings, evolution methods where possible, etc. I understand the intent of most of the changes, I just don't like them. Especially with typings, you could do a more granular list to select typings you like, if you're more mixed, and you could even do multiple alternate typings for pokemon it fits (ie Ariados)

also, independently of actually playing the game, I'm gonna guess you'll want to up the PP on some of the setup moves. I know thats a big nuzlocker thing to remove setup, but like Rest? 1 PP? What if you want to fight multiple foes between healing? Considering TMs not restoring PP is a listed feature, and I doubt you're going to have bottomless ethers/leppas, that's gonna be extremely frustrating

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2024
    I made a video showing my run of the game, all the imperfections and bumbling around with the Zone 15 and 25 puzzles included.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    Hey, I plan on trying this out. This kind of concept is something I think has tons of potential, especially the randomizer mode. I'd love to be able to create extremely variable settings to exactly my own liking, though I know integrating those kinds of options and menus into a ROM isn't exactly simple, so I won't hold my breath.

If I had to pick one set of options I'd really like, it'd be a few more purist options for the pokemon. Restoring move accuracy/power/PP values, original typings, evolution methods where possible, etc. I understand the intent of most of the changes, I just don't like them. Especially with typings, you could do a more granular list to select typings you like, if you're more mixed, and you could even do multiple alternate typings for pokemon it fits (ie Ariados)

also, independently of actually playing the game, I'm gonna guess you'll want to up the PP on some of the setup moves. I know thats a big nuzlocker thing to remove setup, but like Rest? 1 PP? What if you want to fight multiple foes between healing? Considering TMs not restoring PP is a listed feature, and I doubt you're going to have bottomless ethers/leppas, that's gonna be extremely frustrating

Hey there! I really appreciate the feedback; it's really helpful for me as a developer to hear other ideas and different takes on features in the game!

Even more variable settings could be an option. Because this is a decomp hack, adding menus and the like is actually incredibly simple. It's the functionality of these variable game modes that could be hard. Off the top of my head, I'm not entirely sure how to make it so on one game file you can make Pokemon have different types depending on your game mode. I imagine this could be done using two different patches (i.e. think of Drayano's Clean vs Complete versions for his hacks), but to me Pokemon Battle Labyrinth is kind of meant to be played with all the Pokemon changes in mind. (Also note that Ariados is not in the game!)

On the subject of PP for setup moves, I would actually keep the default PP for most moves on Default mode (the easier difficulty mode), but codewise have not figured out how to do that yet. Setup moves PP are nerfed because they are inherently quite broken, but the reason moves like Rest and Recover have their PP nerfed is to force the player to actually buy healing items. If each of your Pokemon knew Rest, instead of healing your Pokemon between fights, it would be very easy to just run into the grass, use Rest, run away, then use an Awakening, saving massive amounts of healing money. On Default mode anywho, you can easily farm Leppa Berries at the Berry fields. Again, I would make the PP different in the two difficulty modes, but I am not entirely sure how to do that yet. I will definitely look into it though, thanks!

Again I really appreciate the feedback; if I make some significant progress on how to make the default typings/abilities/whatever available on one game mode and the edited stuff on another game mode, I'll let you know! (Same thing with the PP thing)

Back