• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Frame Rate - Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I decided to make a thread that's different from the usual talk to something more technical. I was curious about PC's take on frame rate, and if most people are able to tell the difference between a 30fps game or a 60fps game.

So what's a frame rate you might ask? Well if you didn't take the time to google that here's a brief description from wikipedia.
Frame rate (also known as frame frequency) is the frequency (rate) at which an imaging device produces unique consecutive images called frames. The term applies equally well to film and video cameras, computer graphics, and motion capture systems. Frame rate is most often expressed in frames per second (FPS) and is also expressed in progressive scan monitors as hertz (Hz).
Frame rates in video games refer to the speed at which the image is refreshed (typically in frames per second, or FPS). Many underlying processes, such as collision detection and network processing, run at different or inconsistent frequencies or in different physical components of a computer. FPS affect the experience in two ways: low FPS does not give the illusion of motion effectively and affects the user's capacity to interact with the game, while FPS that vary substantially from one second to the next depending on computational load produce uneven, "choppy" movement or animation. Many games lock their frame rate at lower but more sustainable levels to give consistently smooth motion.
So frame rate has always been a hot topic amongst video games enthusiasts, and to some it's a pretty big part to their enjoyment in the game. When it comes to consoles, and handhelds to an extent, many developers and/or publishers sacrifice frame rate for better aesthetics, which upsets some people. The modern standard is 30fps but there are a couple if not a lot of games that support 60fps. But what about you?

If you want to know whether you can see the difference, compare this gif that I found for example. (Courtesy of NeoGAF)
Spoiler:

One of them is near 30fps, while the other is near 60fps. Which is which?

note: If you still can't see the difference, try covering your hands on one of them for a while, and then into the other. If you still can't see the difference, there's still the possibility that your browser doesn't support gifs at a better frame rate. Also, it's normally easier to differentiate the frame rate while playing than just looking at a gifs. So try playing a 30fps game and a 60fps game if you can and see if there's a difference.

The answer is
Spoiler:

Can you tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps?
And which one do you prefer? The "cinematic" feel of 30fps or the incredibly smooth 60fps?
Does frame rate matter to you at all in a game? Does it take away the enjoyment from you if the frame rate is low?
What kind of games do you think would NEED 60fps, all things considered?

Discuss.

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
In my personal experience it is very easy to tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps, but at the same time it depends on what game you're playing. You're more inclined to notice in a high action game or a game that has a lot of movement of screen. I'm not too fuss about it, I do enjoy 30fps in most games, that's highly due to the fact I've watched and played games at 30fps for so long that 60fps just makes things feel like they're on fast forward.

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'm the same. I can tell the difference, but it doesn't get in my way for most games. Though I actually play more 60fps games nowadays than 30fps that it can be annoying and very apparent at first, but I get used to it. I'm crazy enough to play Metal Gear Solid 3D with no problem. When I get the choice of better frame rate or better graphic capabilities/resolution, though, I'll always go with frame rate.

I do thinks games like arcade racers and competitive fighting games absolutely need 60fps, however, or most fast paced games. I can't imagine playing F-Zero GX and Tekken Tag Tour 2 on 30fps, for example.

Years
The gifs are lagging for me, so the for every two frames the left one moves, the right moves by one XD.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Being the PC gamer that I am, I really do notice higher frame-rates. Though I generally can't tell the difference between 60FPS and things much higher, which is why I always try to benchmark it to 60. I do like the cinematic feel of 30FPS, but I generally try go for higher. Depends on the game however, but I find a distinct different experience depending on frame-rate. At times, I find 30FPS to add immersion, while higher rates allow for less frustration when really keeping up with a fast paced gaming experience.

Back