• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Really ASH? I need you to act like you have experience!

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Okay so I just started watching black and white and I gotta say as soon as it started I'm pissed.....why is Ash still 10? You mean to tell me with all of that experience he has gone through and all the pokemon he has caught along the way that he is still ten? Okay that's beside the point. Someone tell me who loses to a brand new trainer who has a pokemon with no experience? His excuse was that pikachu couldn't use electric attacks......I don't think anyone here who has played pokemon would loose to a person who just started playing.....literally just turned the game on and got their starter pokemon. I understand that he's in a new region and there are different types of pokemon with new moves but still......I can't even recall how many leagues, battles, competitions Ash has been apart of. I just want to know why they can't make Ash a bit more convincing.....I'd even go on to say a bit more mature/experienced....I feel like I'm ranting...can I get any thoughts on this?

Guest123_x1

They do this 'resetting' of Ash every so often so that the show can maintain its target audience. If his skills actually progressed solidly as he traveled through each region, he'd be so powerful the show would probably get boring and tired.

Years
They do this 'resetting' of Ash every so often so that the show can maintain its target audience. If his skills actually progressed solidly as he traveled through each region, he'd be so powerful the show would probably get boring and tired.

That's right, they reset him cos of the target audience.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
Though the most audience it gets is us. I hardly see 10ish year olds watching the anime. Only the games & cards.

I'm fine with the whole Ash = 10 deal, I love him either way. <3

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Ya I could care less about him being 10,but the reason Pikachu couldn't use electric attacks was because of Zekrom and he only use Iron Tail then which misses a lot in the game.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
Years
Ash has been 10 for over like... what season are we on now? 15? 15 or so seasons. People need to stop whining about how Ash is 10. He will always be 10. And like someone else said, they 'reset' him in every new region. It would be stupid for him to come to the region with all of his Pokemon being strong as hell and just destroying everything. Sure some people may like that, but a lot of others wouldn't.

Turn-it

Coordinator/Elite Trainer
Years
  • Seen Dec 4, 2012
Ash has been 10 for over like... what season are we on now? 15? 15 or so seasons. People need to stop whining about how Ash is 10. He will always be 10. And like someone else said, they 'reset' him in every new region. It would be stupid for him to come to the region with all of his Pokemon being strong as hell and just destroying everything. Sure some people may like that, but a lot of others wouldn't.

I don't really consider it whining....just an opinion. I wouldn't mind a side story something along the lines of character growth kind of like how Naruto shifted to shippuden.

Charicific

PkMn Trainer
Years
Let's not forget the possibility of the show to end if Ash really showed progression =\ and I personally wouldn't want that to happen. Though it's a disturbing idea currently, I think it is more stable than making a further step for developing Ash. I feel some sort of risk. They dont NEED to change a thing yet.

Years
Pretty sure that Ash isn't 10- it's been stated a few times that at least a few years have passed since he first left Pallet Town. So I'd say it's safer to say that he's around 12 now. Buuuut that's for another thread.

As for him losing that particular battle, I think it's safe to say that game logic DOES NOT apply here, at least as far as levels are concerned (a level 5 Snivy does NOT know Leaf Storm, unless it hatched from an egg, which as far as we know, it didn't).

Kenshin5

Wanderer
Years
Think of it as a Floating Timeline, which has the character either stay the same or age relatively slowly so they can keep the character for a long about of time. This is commonly employed in Comics, shows like the Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, and so on.

This conception shouldn't be new which is why when regular see this thread pop ever month they have the same thoughts on it. We have seen him progress and digress upon the advent of every generation or almost every generation. This is nothing new and it is yet to be seen if this or when this will change.

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
There's no reset button on the age. The anime actually expects us to believe that all the stuff, all the experiences Ash has had....have happened in a relatively short period of time.

They...also didn't reset Pikachu. Pikachu regains it's powers pretty quickly if I recall. I mean, when you think about it it really made plenty of sense. If you take away a pokemon's superpowers, what is it but helpless? Even the most incredible veteran soldier has exactly nothing on Superman.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
Pretty sure that Ash isn't 10- it's been stated a few times that at least a few years have passed since he first left Pallet Town. So I'd say it's safer to say that he's around 12 now. Buuuut that's for another thread.

As for him losing that particular battle, I think it's safe to say that game logic DOES NOT apply here, at least as far as levels are concerned (a level 5 Snivy does NOT know Leaf Storm, unless it hatched from an egg, which as far as we know, it didn't).

Nope. Beginning of Best Wishes introduces Ash as a Ten year old Trainer.

The Anime hasn't used Level references since Johto. Its pretty much a given that any Pokemon can be come stronger even at the beginning. Ash's Snivy was abandoned by its old trainer, it has Leaf Storm because it was taught it by its old Trainer, as well as Attract.

Ash lost to Tripp's Snivy which, upon recieving already knew Leaf Tornado. It isn't the first starter I believe to know high level moves early on. Actual Game Stats don't exist in the Anime Universe.

Years
I wish they just kept Ash's age ambiguous. At least we'd get less complaini- Er... Questioning.

Personally, I honestly feel that in the most recent "reset" Ash took an especially huge blow. In Hoenn it didn't really seem like he got weaker at all, he even felt a bit more mature. Same goes for Sinnoh, even though we had similar issues with Pikachu's power level like the ones we do today. It was like Ash was maturing and gaining experience with some minor hiccups in-between. BW, on the other hand, decimated Ash's development. In past seasons he still gave off the vibe of being a seasoned veteran whenever he went on new journeys, but in BW he felt like a complete newbie, especially when he was forgetting plenty of the basics.

Last edited:

Madam Cheezy

Imakuni Trainee
Years
It's a series of Inception jokes.

Or, you know...acid-induced dreams. It's the only real logic you can attach to all this. Otherwise, yeah. It's a cartoon, and as we know, nothing ever really has to follow 'the rules'.

Frustrating as it may be.

Years
Anime =/= Games.

Experience means nothing in the anime. The same applies with any real-life sporting event. A top seeded player can be overcome by someone lower down in the rankings through strategy, etc and if the more experienced player is ill or something then that would contribute to his/her defeat. Same applies to Pikachu not being able to use his electric attacks, which was because of Zekrom.

Back