• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Should 'creationism' be taught in school?

Should 'creationism' / 'intelligent design' be taught alongside evolution?

• Yes [I am religious]

Votes: 9 23.7%
  • No [I am religious]

Votes: 11 28.9%
  • Yes [I am atheist/agnostic]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No [I am atheist/agnostic]

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Undecided [I never know what's going on]

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    With parental consent.

Since everyone is not the same religion, and creationism varies on the religion, it should require parental class. And should only be an elective in high school.

I am agnostic by the way.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
  • No! Creationism isn't an acceptable and evolucionism is just a fact. Creationism can be debated under the condition of mere folklore. To be dumb is not an option, furthermore, god is fickle and you can still believe it even if you don't try to take the bible literally

Years
  • I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.

I agree and disagree
    I myself am a christian through and through but the bible says that people should want to come to him and christians should speak gods word.

i think that the teach should suggest to them to believe what they believe is right.

Because if u r forcing ur atheistic beleifs on another how r u better then the chrsitians who do the same
    and dont say because im not spreading lies almost 80 something percent of the world believes in some sort of god and so you could argue that athiests are preaching lies

Also when aithiests say that their is no evidence to disprove god. I ask to put as much time as you would into researching proof to prove god as youw ould to disprove god. I would like to know your answer.

Last edited:

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Give them both options, and let them decide for themselves. There are things evolution can't explain, like the flagellar motor in certain bacteria. It is so complex, that it could not have developed all at once. But it couldn't have developed slowly either, because the individual parts had no benefit to the species.

Honestly, I don't get why it's so strange or "stupid" to believe in both.
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...AUQBSgA&q=flagellar+motor+in+bacteria&spell=1

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I agree and disagree
    I myself am a christian through and through but the bible says that people should want to come to him and christians should speak gods word.

i think that the teach should suggest to them to believe what they believe is right.

Because if u r forcing ur atheistic beleifs on another how r u better then the chrsitians who do the same
    and dont say because im not spreading lies almost 80 something percent of the world believes in some sort of god and so you could argue that athiests are preaching lies

Also when aithiests say that their is no evidence to disprove god. I ask to put as much time as you would into researching proof to prove god as youw ould to disprove god. I would like to know your answer.
    Lack of religious teachings does not an atheistic curriculum make. It is simply unbiased by petty deity worship from vain gods of bygone centuries.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I disagree. That would confuse children. Also, teachers are bias.
    When I say that, I mean it should be taught in high school. I believe by that age, a person is old enough to think for themselves without confusing all the different information.

But yeah, the fact that teachers are bias (and people are idiots) means it'd never happen the way I envision.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Um, what?
    No school says "OMG YOU LOSER, YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, STOP BELIEVING." Pokejungle already explained it. Anyways, they only teach what they are teaching right now because there is evidence behind it. It isn't atheistic to believe in evolution or germ theory. When evidence comes forward and any theory is disproven, they change the curriculum.

And I thought they already had churches for religion and religious studies :/

Whether or not the majority believes in a higher being doesn't make it true. This is science, not a popularity contest.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • No, creationism should absolutely not be taught in schools. Why teach lies to children?

Religion is one of the things that really annoys me about America. Everyone takes it so seriously. Back in England, if someone suggested that creationism be taught in schools to the House of Commons, they'd get laughed out of the building. That's how it should be.

There is no doubt in my mind that God does not exist.
    I will be praying for you. Also that why quite rude and ignorant. I can't wait to see your face when you see god is real and god say "so, I am a lie?"

Fairytales should be mandatory. They are good for instilling an interest in reading into children, and they teach morals. I would say that fairytales are a more important part of a child's curriculum than religion.
    Your really hurting my feelings. :C
    There not fairy tales it's as real as you and me.

Yeah, and let's teach med students that diseases are caused by demons inhabiting our bodies.
    SURELY PRAYER MUST BE THE ANSWER INSTEAD OF SCIENCE.
    No where in creation dose it say deies are caused by demons. Prayer with science , I fail to see why you can't have both.

I think that teaching children about religions is important so that they will be tolerant. It's fine to teach children about creationism, so long as the teacher doesn't suggest that it is fact.
    Okay I agree with you there. The teachers should not say it is fact, let the children/teens decide on there own. :)

Creationism can absolutely be taught in schools...

...so long as those schools teach the creation stories of every major religion as well as the scientific view (evolution) and give children all the necessary facts so that they may form their own opinion on the matter.

Seriously, I'd have no problem with schools telling children that God created everyone in 7 days or whatever (either that or the Adam & Eve story--the bible can't even choose which origin story it likes :s). But that's only okay if the curriculum includes other religions (because Christianity is NOT the only belief on this earth) and doctrines. To this end, I also agree that it should be mandatory for everyone to take a "World Religions" course. Everyone needs to know the basics about other religions and should know what their beliefs are, even if only for the sake of the politically correct world we've been slowly creating. So whether or not evolution is preached as the "right" origin story, people will know what the creation stories of other religions are and how they compare.

Too bad that'll never happen.

(Also, question because I honestly don't know: is there even a DEBATE about whether or not to teach evolution in schools outside of the US? :s I can't recall anything of the sort in Canada but I don't know how it is in other countries.)
    Nah, that would take to long. Most people that fight for creation in the schools are christian. The only religion that stands up against evolution is Christianity's view on creation.

I disagree. That would confuse children. Also, teachers are bias.

Creationism should be taught in the context that "Some Christians believe that..." Evolution, on the other hand, should be taught as fact - because it is undeniable fact.

America is the only developed country that takes religion seriously. I've always thought it was weird that the president always talks about God in his speeches. In England, that would just seem ridiculous.
    Again EVOLUTION IS NOT FACT IT IS A THEORY!!!

Also I agree teachers are bias, I live in New York they are all Liberal. >:C
    Some teachers will also be bias in favor of evolution.

No! Creationism isn't an acceptable and evolucionism is just a fact. Creationism can be debated under the condition of mere folklore. To be dumb is not an option, furthermore, god is fickle and you can still believe it even if you don't try to take the bible literally
    Evolution is not fact it is a THEORY. There are a lot of things wrong with evolution, and quite frankly over exaggerated.

Give them both options, and let them decide for themselves. There are things evolution can't explain, like the flagellar motor in certain bacteria. It is so complex, that it could not have developed all at once. But it couldn't have developed slowly either, because the individual parts had no benefit to the species.

Honestly, I don't get why it's so strange or "stupid" to believe in both.
    EXACTLY!!! let the kids decide for them self. Smartest statement I have read all day. (b,b)

Anything religious based should not be taught in school. Leave the religion to the religious schools, that's what they're there for.
    Yeah, but not everyone goes to church. I would be fine with not teaching creation if they didn't teach evolution.

Um, what?
    No school says "OMG YOU LOSER, YOU BELIEVE IN GOD, STOP BELIEVING." Pokejungle already explained it. Anyways, they only teach what they are teaching right now because there is evidence behind it. It isn't atheistic to believe in evolution or germ theory. When evidence comes forward and any theory is disproven, they change the curriculum.

And I thought they already had churches for religion and religious studies :/

Whether or not the majority believes in a higher being doesn't make it true. This is science, not a popularity contest.
    @your first statement- Actually they do, they mock you for it, and say your stupid.

Not everyone goes to church. Also 90% of the time church dose not talk about creation.

Years
  • Absolutely not! Two reasons.

1. Breaks separation between church and state.
    2. Can be offensive.

I for one am an atheist and would take it offensively, but anyways I don't care what other people believe, as long as somebody else doesn't decide what I believe. We need to let people decide for themselves.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I will be praying for you. Also that why quite rude and ignorant. I can't wait to see your face when you see god is real and god say "so, I am a lie?"
    I'll take Jolene's place and troll for her. I'll think for you ;D
    I know you don't deserve it, it just seems like the most Jolene thing to say :(
    Your really hurting my feelings. :C
    There not fairy tales it's as real as you and me.
    …I'll just ignore this.

No where in creation dose it say deies are caused by demons. Prayer with science , I fail to see why you can't have both.
    Um, I think in Matthew 12 Jesus healed a blind and deaf guy by removing the devil inside of him, but I'm not really sure.
    Again, I don't see the problem with having both, but it gets stupid if you just use prayer. Don't gamble with your own life.

Okay I agree with you there. The teachers should not say it is fact, let the children/teens decide on there own. :)
    Why would you let the children decide? You don't let the children decide when they want to go to bed, do you?

If you couldn't tell, Children make awful, awful decisions.

Nah, that would take to long. Most people that fight for creation in the schools are christian. The only religion that stands up against evolution is Christianity's view on creation.
    And Islam and Catholicism and plenty of other smaller religions, but lets just ignore that.
    Again EVOLUTION IS NOT FACT IT IS A THEORY!!!
    Scientific theory. It's a common misconception, so I wouldn't blame you. If you still don't believe me, just look at germ theory.

Yeah, but not everyone goes to church. I would be fine with not teaching creation if they didn't teach evolution.
    But that's completely biased. To believe that macroevolution happens, you don't have to be atheist. It doesn't even tell people about the origins of the universe or even life, just the biodiversity of it.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • Absolutely not! Two reasons.

1. Breaks separation between church and state.
    2. Can be offensive.

I for one am an atheist and would take it offensively, but anyways I don't care what other people believe, as long as somebody else doesn't decide what I believe. We need to let people decide for themselves.
    I hate it when people say that. "separation of church and state" One the idea was first presented to protect Christianity from the government. number two it was later taken out of content in 1950's by a nazi of said schools should not teach creation.
    So know your history and do you really want to side with a nazi?

PokemonLeagueChamp

Traveling Hoenn once more.
    Years
  • God can't be disconnected from life's creation, but it certainly didn't go the way it says in the Bible, based on our fossil evidence. While I'm sure God set the machines of evolution in motion(as otherwise life would not exist), and then let it run its course to where I am saying this.

At least, IMHO.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • @luck
    You should read the bible more you mis-interrupted that passage, and the time of that passage, and things relating to it.

There is a stroy like that, but god said if you have jesus in your heart nothing else can enter. but obviously christens still get sick. If one person gets possed by a demon it doesn't mean that every sick person is possed.

@luck-2
    think about me O.o In what kinda a way? lol jk.

Years
  • I hate it when people say that. "separation of church and state" One the idea was first presented to protect Christianity from the government. number two it was later taken out of content in 1950's by a nazi of said schools should not teach creation.
    So know your history and do you really want to side with a nazi?

Really though, why would you say something like that? Do you know how much that offended me.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    @luck
    You should read the bible more you mis-interrupted that passage, and the time of that passage, and things relating to it.

No, I interpreted it.
    You can't misinterpret when there is nothing to explicitly show it being your interpretation.
    For all we know, this might be slang used back then.

If I misinterpret though, I find it strange that the diseases are cured and they mention demons being exorcised for no reason.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • God can't be disconnected from life's creation, but it certainly didn't go the way it says in the Bible, based on our fossil evidence. While I'm sure God set the machines of evolution in motion(as otherwise life would not exist), and then let it run its course to where I am saying this.

At least, IMHO.
    uuuhhhh your the type of people that really get on my nerves. Fake religious people, you herd about god, and mabey side with him, but never truly dug any deeper. There is MICRO evolution not MARCO evolution. Also those fossil records have huge gaps, and do you know how charls darwin justified this? He said we haven't discovered enough fossils yet. Well it's been over 200 hundred years and a lot more fossils but the gap is still not closed.

@luck
    The people where discrasing a holy tradition and that's why demons where flocking to them. They contracted disses because there was a demon inside of them.

@ryty1231
    I didn't mean to offend you. I did not say you are a Natiz just saying who you are siding with. Also, you are getting off topic now. If you have a beef with me personally vm me.

Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2022
    I'm glad Luck pointed out that just because it is 'The Theory of Evolution' does not make it a "theory" in the conventional sense of the English term. It is not simply a "hypothesis".

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back