• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon childish??

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDawnfanxX

The stubborn Pokemon Trainer
Years
  • I think the anime is aimed at children, but it seems it is aimed for all ages but people can't see by some of the things in it. I personally really like it and still watch. And the games are for everyone, it is a strategy game that requires thought. And its just fun. Pokemon is the best! :)

Vednix

:D
    Years
    • Seen Dec 13, 2010
    Hm. Well, I like the games, but the anime is plain stupid. To be honest, people tease me at school for liking it, but they're not teasing me so much now, becuase they're more mature now.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
  • This is a subject that comes up often, and should really be understood a bit better.

Pokemon is labeled as "childish" because it involves children traveling around and little creatures as their companions. Well, that certainly could be called childish. But there are 40 year olds out there who love Pokemon and are not "nerds" or "childish" at all. As you said in the first post, Pokemon can actually teach people a lot, no matter what their age. It can teach friendship, loyalty, and responsibility. People who label it as "childish" are the real losers because they cannot understand the full potential of "some anime series".

Thundєr

Freelancer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 31, 2013
    Maybe the series are childish.

But the games aren't, in fact for a child it's hard to play at first. Lvl up, memorizes all the evolutions, types advantages, disadvantages, and other terms.

I say only a part of the media are childish.

Donnie

the popstar that never was
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 22, 2013
    Ok wat

Pokemon isn't childish, Pokemon was subjected that way from the anime, in which we all know was well.. for younger viewers, thus giving Pokemon the title of "a game for kids" and was laughed upon by older people.

Pokemon isn't childish, it's perfectly normal to like Pokemon at your age(judging by your information) I mean hey, I'm a year older then ya and I still love Pokemon, well theres nothin wrong with that eh?

Also, DONT LISTEN TO WHAT THE HATERS SAY, DO WHAT YOU WANT, DON'T LET OTHER'S OPINIONS CHANGE WHAT YOU DO OR STOP DOING THINGS THAT YOU LIKE!

Years
  • Pokemon is aimed at Children so I guess so, BUT that does not mean you can not like it, if you like something and it is fun for you then thats just to bad for them, you can like anything no matter how old.

ReyRey-Pyon

THREAD KILLER
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Feb 6, 2015
    wutwut

Pokemon is verrryyy kiddy 8O

if it wasn't childish and kiddy i wouldn't be into it /is a total kid xD
    I love the cartoon{not as much tho, themesong makes me rage}, and the games, and collecting TCG 8O

I say its for kids, do i look like i care? Honestly, I think other peoples opinions are pure bull,
    My opinion doesn't matter, nor should any haters to you,
    Do you truely believe Pokemon is for kids therefore you should stop enjoying it? thats your choice. But enjoy giving into your peers, and giving up on what you like because a bunch of dumb kids told you their opinion.

You can go ahead and miss out on all the fun if you like. Or you can just go on and ignore them, and enjoy yourself. No one should stop enjoying what they enjoy because of someones opinion

I think Pokemon is childish. I enjoy childish things. That hasn't stopped me from being an obsessive freak like i am x3

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Why are people saying that the games aren't childish because of EVs, IV, etc? You don't need any of those things to play the game. Most people don't even know they exist since they're so insignificant.

Anyway, Satoshi Tajiri made the game so children could enjoy what he thought they would like as a kid. Some people here are in denile obviously.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • The tricky parts of the game can only be figured out by older players. It involves too much math for little kids. I'm not downing younger players, though. My brother is only eight and he's really good with evolutions and type advantages/disadvantages. I've told him about EV training, which confused him a little until I explained the main point of it. The show is more childish, in my opinion, but if you are older and you're watching it, you can get more out of it like shipping. Younger ones don't look for that too much, either that they only see the obvious heterosexual pairings.

Edit: Battle Frontier isn't exactly the easiest thing for younger players, in my opinion. It's fun, yes, but if you're actually really set on winning, older players can think of a better strategy or can go EV train and defeat it quicker and more easily than a younger player. The games are enjoyable for all ages, yes, but some things are just easier to grasp depending on your age. My brother tries to fly through the game and I'm more intent on raising good Pokemon to trade to my storage Emerald/Diamond.

Last edited:

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
  • The tricky parts of the game can only be figured out by older players. It involves too much math for little kids. I'm not downing younger players, though. My brother is only eight and he's really good with evolutions and type advantages/disadvantages. I've told him about EV training, which confused him a little until I explained the main point of it. The show is more childish, in my opinion, but if you are older and you're watching it, you can get more out of it like shipping. Younger ones don't look for that too much, either that they only see the obvious heterosexual pairings.

Edit: Battle Frontier isn't exactly the easiest thing for younger players, in my opinion. It's fun, yes, but if you're actually really set on winning, older players can think of a better strategy or can go EV train and defeat it quicker and more easily than a younger player. The games are enjoyable for all ages, yes, but some things are just easier to grasp depending on your age. My brother tries to fly through the game and I'm more intent on raising good Pokemon to trade to my storage Emerald/Diamond.

Splatty makes a good point here. When I was younger the type knowledge was something simple I could grasp. It took me years to understand how to do EV training. Battle Frontier is still hard for me and I consider myself a pretty good player. There are elements for youths and older players alike.

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • Nah, don't say that. It aims for younger generation of children, but older adolescenses still watch and play it.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Pokemon, childish?
    The game is too complex to be chidish.

The anime could be considered childish except for them occasionally showing a Pokemon dying. Children don't really uderstand the death concept that easily.

If you ask me if Pokemon is childish I have this too say,

Spongebob looks childish too is it not and yet adults still watch and it ha gathered many ans over the years.

One more thing is that the creators o Pokemon have managed to do what most entertaines fail to do properly.
    They created their own universe!

The show has many fans even for the movies.
    The game itself is flexible and can be modded. If it was childish who would bother.

Pokemon also serves as a basis for many spin offs suh as this great community site here.

Bottomline
    Pokemon is childish (didin't see that coming did you) but only for peole who wish to believe it's childish. Years ago when it came out it was all the rage. But when people get bored they make up excuses stating why they don't do it anymore.

So what if it's childish, If you're a kid at heart you'll live longer.

Sidenote: Yeah, i don't reveal that I like Poemon to friends they'll probably laugh at you too unless you're in a real live fan club but then people just call you nerds. Don't go spreading tht you love it unlss you're prepared for backlash and mockery.

Just you wait, one day when our children look in our attics and see these games they'll ask what's this, you'll smile and tell them, then they'll play it.

Unless Pokemon comes out with something new and original I doubt It'll ever be as popular as last time.

~Frozen Darkness~

It's watching you...
    Years
  • I've seen a lot of these threads before, TBH.

Yes, I keep my liking of Pokemon a secret.
    But if I yelled out lout that I liked it, I would be shunned.

So, my friends decided that when I told them I was making a game, they somehow ended up with the conclusion that it was a Pokemon game. What I told them about was Super Smash Bros. Armageddon, not a Pokemon game.

Basically, my friend and I who share a common hatred for this "possy", who were the people who came up with the conclusion above, are going to get into a fist fight (:D) with them on the last day of school in the parking lot.

It's going to be a fun day that day.

The Bottom Line is: Think what you like, your friends don't control your life, you do.

kelsoriley

The Chosen One
    Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2009
    True, the show is a bit childish and it does involve children traveling around the world with pokemon (Ash,dawn,brock,etc) ,but that is just how they real you in! havn`t you noticed that japan`s cartoon characters almost always cute and have big eyes? The video games seem like they are ranged for a teen audiance though....

Cold Fusion

When you laugh, you gain luck.
    Years
  • Nahh, it isn't childish. It's actually quite complicated...
    The anime is, but that is aimed at the younger audience so it would be, but an older audience still watches it.
    Anyone who says it is childish are wrong. ;D

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
  • The Pokemon Anime is actually for kids, so it's stereotyped as childish. The games however are not. I think I read somewhere that the Pokemon games were targeted for kids 13+. I don't know that it's true, but I certainly think so. A lot of my classmates actually play Pokemon.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back