• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Showcase] Flags!

Years
  • I don't imagine many of you will have heard of (or remember) the IAPL project, but the aim was to turn the Earth into Pokémon regions (map). It didn't work out, but I'm now having some fun making flags for the various leagues, and I thought I could show them off here. I imagine it's not something that usually gets seen here, but hopefully that won't put people off.

Each continent has an over-arching "league" and a number of smaller "regions" which are sized more like the canon ones.

Africa:
    African Pokémon League:
    Spoiler:

Europe:
    European Pokémon League:
    Spoiler:

United Region (NEW):
    Spoiler:

Roman Region (NEW):
    Spoiler:

North America:
    Great Lakes Region:
    Spoiler:

Pacific Region:
    Spoiler:

Aztec Region (NEW):
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Neat stuff! Definitely much different than the work we normally have here in A&D. So it's pretty interesting to see your stuff.

Hmm.. I'm finding it a little hard to critique because there isn't any interactive or interpretive elements like shading or anatomy in there. And even when it comes to critiquing the colors.. they're all (at least somewhat) based on existing designs.. so they already look good. Suffice it to say I'm definitely not equipped to review your flags. xD

But! That's okay. They are new, and they are interesting. So that's always good. :3 Unfortunately, I'm not acquainted at all with the IAPL project though, so I'm not sure how that and your art are related. But your flags are pretty attention getting, which I suppose it pretty fundamental in creating a flag (or banner, or any kind of representative art, for the matter). They catch and hold my interest, so I suppose that's a great place to start.

Hope to see more of these! :D

Years
  • Thanks for the comment! I realise this is rather niche, so I don't expect too many comments, but I thought I should put stuff out there anyway.

The reason for mentioning the IAPL is just to give a little background as to where the different regions come from, so I've added a link to the world map which might shed a little more light on it. The regions with question marks on them have very speculative names, and a lot of the regions never got further than being drawn on that map, so there's scope to change the boundaries for a lot of them.

As for comments/critique, "they look interesting" is fine by me!! I'm trying to make the flags look realistic enough that you could imagine them being flown, so if they succeed there, I'm very happy. If they look too busy, have too many colours or something like that, then do point that out, as they're meant to be relatively simple in construction, like real flags.

I'm also interested in hearing suggestions for changes to the ones I've already done, either to include motifs from countries or areas that have been left out or alterations of colours or whatever, and suggestions of flags to use to make new ones for regions that I haven't got to yet.

Anywho, thanks again! I've added a few more to the first post, and I'm working on others in between revision, so I should hopefully be adding one or two a day for a while. :D

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i must say these are quite impressive. i love the creativity and the thought behind each one. i would have never though of this idea.
    like alexial said, it's hard to critique since it is just a flag and doesn't have any sketching, shading, etc.
    to make these better, you should maybe actually put them like on a flag pole and make them look like they're waving to give a 3D effect to bring them to life.
    keep up the great work, can't wait to see more!

Back