• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Seventieth Anniversary of the Start of World War II

Years
  • Seventy years ago today German forces invaded Poland. Earlier in the day Polish President Lech Kaczynsk criticized the former Soviet Union for its involvement in the invasion. This continues a row between Warsaw and Moscow that started when Russian state TV broadcast an accusation that the Soviet Union was justified in invading Poland because they where conspiring with Germany against Russia.

Sources: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8230678.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8232559.stm

Years
  • I was planning to make this thread today, with the exact same BBC sources.

But laziness got to me...

Anyways, Both parties were involved here through the Nazi-Soviet Pact, so blame should be handed evenly. D:

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    I never knew today was the anniversary. Let's just hope history doesn't repeat itself. RIP those who died.
    Sad, sad times

dc_united

Josh Wicks doesn't like you
    Years
  • It's very sad. When we learn about WWII, everyone seems to forget the Polish soldiers who died trying to protect their country.

Also, way to pick a fight with a country 30 times your size, Poland. Georgia vs Russia all over again

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • RIP for the dead from that war...

Certainly an event that bears personal cultural importance for myself, have to say, and no doubt many, many more.

Years
  • It's sad we haven't learned better when it comes to war.

On a positive note, my grandparents would have never met if it weren't for WWII. Bit of a silver lining.

Back