• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Essentials Pokémon Creator [PEPC]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
This tool no longer exists!
Name: Pokémon Essentials Pokémon Creator [PEPC]
Creator: Emil Lowell / BlackNekos
Version: 2

Information:
Pokémon Essentials Pokémon Creator or PEPC for short is a small tool that allows you to create new Pokémon for the Pokémon Essentials Start Kit. This tool makes it easier than having to retype the whole information yourself.

Change Log:
Version 2.0:

• Added tabs to tidy the system up.
    Moved everything around to make it more user friendly

Version 1.4:

• Added a reset button to reset the form

Version 1.3:

• Organised the buttons
    Added a donate button.

Version 1.2:

• Added the ability to open the Pokemon.txt file to add more pokemon easier.
    Changed the "Done" button to "Add to List" to save confusion

Version 1:

• Created the System

Plans:
Able to see the moves and evolutions added to the game and edit any mistakes.
Delete moves and evolutions

Bugs:
There seems to be a bug when compiling Evolution Data. The layout is exactly how it is meant to be...

Last edited:

Cilerba

the hearts of lonely people
Years
Your layout looks very cluttered at the moment and can be even more confusing than just going into the text file and adding Pokémon through there. Grouping the textboxes and drop-down menus into categories (Statistics, General, etc.) would make the program less intimidating for new users.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
I wanted to add tabs but I ended up making it like this before I thought of the idea lol. But tabs will be sometime soon xD

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
Usually I prefer to do txt-level operations directly, nevertheless this will be a great help for a lot of people. Also I pay a lot of respect to guys who create massive GUIs :)
May I ask which language this is written in?

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 6, 2015
This is good.
Despite the program being all cluttered, it's made it FAR more easier to make Pokémon in.
Only problem I see is there's no Erase button, backspace wipes the text, but it all comes back after you click something.
Makes it awkward when having to insert more than one Pokémon.

Ayutac

Developer who wants your help
Years
Hey, new idea! Let's implement a notification message like "Do you really want to create that Mary Sue Pokémon?" when the inserted data exceeds certain parameters :D

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
Usually I prefer to do txt-level operations directly, nevertheless this will be a great help for a lot of people. Also I pay a lot of respect to guys who create massive GUIs :)
May I ask which language this is written in?

This was written in VisualBasic

This is good.
Despite the program being all cluttered, it's made it FAR more easier to make Pokémon in.
Only problem I see is there's no Erase button, backspace wipes the text, but it all comes back after you click something.
Makes it awkward when having to insert more than one Pokémon.

I will add an erase button in the next update.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I think I'd prefer it if it worked like RMXP's database, i.e. there was a list on the left of all Pokémon, and you select one to work on. Also, if it's going to edit the txt file directly (which I think it should), there's no need to show the section text (in the bottom left). It'd also let the window be smaller, or give you more room to spread the options around in.

Here's a list of specific points I thought I should make. I know there's quite a few, so please bear with me.
  • You shouldn't let a move be added to the movelist if no level and/or move is given, or if that move/level combination already appears in the movelist. The same goes for egg moves. For the movelist, it would be convenient if you could rearrange the defined moves manually (don't sort them automatically, as some sets of moves like Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up should be learned in a specific order which isn't necessary alphabetical order).
  • For things like Type2 and Ability, there should be a default [none] option (and the other options should be the display names rather than all caps - it's an extra step, but it looks nicer).
  • Internal name should be definable by the user separately for maximum convenience, but should be reset to an internalised form of the actual name whenever the actual name is changed. The internalised name should also ignore spaces/punctuation, and replace gender symbols with plain text equivalents, e.g. Mr. Mime and Nidoran.
  • You should mark which fields are optional and which ones are necessary. Perhaps highlight the fields of necessary unfilled information red, or at least put a symbol next to the required ones. When trying to save that information, make sure all the required fields have something in them.
  • More generally, make sure the information input in each field is valid. For example, a base stat can only be between 0 and 255 (although you may want to forbid a value of 0 too, for obvious reasons).
  • There's no field for form names or held items.
  • There's no need to include lines which will be blank or undefined. It's tidier that way.
  • There are exactly 2 parts to compatibility, even if both parts are the same, and each value has a specific meaning. It's probably better to have 2 drop-down menus listing the egg groups. Again, make sure weird combinations are not allowed (e.g. Ditto and Can't Breed).
It's a very good start, but can be improved to make it easier to use and more idiot-proof.

Very ideally this would expand into a program which could edit all the PBS files at once, and would use the information in those files rather than some predefined list (e.g. edit the list of abilities, and then you can give it to Pokémon straight away). Of course, that's a huge task, and I'm certainly not expecting anything like that. It's just something to consider before you make multiple little apps for each file which can't interact (should you decide to do so, of course).

Is VisualBasic convenient to use to make this kind of program (with tabs and lists and text fields)?

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
I plan on making more tools for the essentials pack and I have many plans to improve this one too. I still haven't got the read me or the help document sorted as been busy with other stuff.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
Years
Although it's fairly cluttered, I gotta hand it to you; very well done. I look forward to seeing improvements and design updates in the future.

Years
  • Age 12
  • Seen May 11, 2015
  • You shouldn't let a move be added to the movelist if no level and/or move is given, or if that move/level combination already appears in the movelist. The same goes for egg moves. For the movelist, it would be convenient if you could rearrange the defined moves manually (don't sort them automatically, as some sets of moves like Stockpile/Swallow/Spit Up should be learned in a specific order which isn't necessary alphabetical order).
Some Pokémon learn a move multiple times in their level-up, and especially in Smeargle's case.
  • More generally, make sure the information input in each field is valid. For example, a base stat can only be between 0 and 255 (although you may want to forbid a value of 0 too, for obvious reasons).
Why forbid 0? I see no reason to. It's not like it could run into any possible errors. As a matter of fact, the lowest a stat could be with a base of 0, assuming the Pokemon is Level 100 is 4, and the highest is 108. For HP it's 204 and 110.

That's all I wanted to say there.

As for the editor, this is extremely helpful, especially as I am adding Fakemon to my game.

Maruno

Years
Some Pokémon learn a move multiple times in their level-up, and especially in Smeargle's case.
Yes, that's why I said move/level combination. You shouldn't be able to add "Tackle at level 42" if it's already written down that it learns Tackle at level 42.

Why forbid 0? I see no reason to. It's not like it could run into any possible errors. As a matter of fact, the lowest a stat could be with a base of 0, assuming the Pokemon is Level 100 is 4, and the highest is 108. For HP it's 204 and 110.
I just didn't know off the top of my head whether 0 values would work properly in Essentials. It also just seems silly for a Pokémon to have a base stat of 0 (which obviously turns out to be non-zero after the calculation), but that's my opinion

I would be happy to help out with this if you wanted.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
Well, with the new version of PEPC I mean Pokémon Essentials Toolkit, you will be able to edit the following TXTs. Pokemon, TMs, Shadow Moves, Items, Moves, Types and maybe trainers.

PEPC is just focusing on adding new pokemon to the game but PET will be for many things <3

Also, this is a solo project as this is more practice for when I develop my engine so I will only need help with certain stuff.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
This is interesting but I don't like the design of the program very much. The program is very large. Approximately 56% of all PC users won't be able to see the program (I calculated in-depth resolution statistics from W3) and you aren't even able to resize the window. In addition, I would suggest you use a toolbar and/or a menu bar for saving/loading and all of those other buttons on the side. These changes make a huge difference in the user experience.

lol you've still done a good job. It's usable and it's a start. How long did it take you to make this?

Also, do you have an approximation when your Toolkit is coming out?

Maruno

Years
How about abilities.txt and trainertypes.txt as well, for the sake of completion?

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
Yes, good idea, I didn't think of those lol.

Also, it will be a while before it is released. One of the issues I have noticed is that the documents need to be compiled perfectly, for example, if you added a starter pokemon and it's evolutions. If you set it's evolutions, the compiler doesn't know what it is going to evolve into which returns an error. So, I am going to see if it is possible to build in a compiler for that.

DaSpirit

Mad Programmer
Years
This is interesting but I don't like the design of the program very much. The program is very large. Approximately 56% of all PC users won't be able to see the program (I calculated in-depth resolution statistics from W3) and you aren't even able to resize the window. In addition, I would suggest you use a toolbar and/or a menu bar for saving/loading and all of those other buttons on the side. These changes make a huge difference in the user experience.

lol you've still done a good job. It's usable and it's a start. How long did it take you to make this?

Also, do you have an approximation when your Toolkit is coming out?
So uh, did you ignore my questions or do you not want to answer them? Also, why is donating necessary for making your program possible? Your link doesn't work anyway.

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
I didn't answer most the question because it is all going to be part of the Toolkit. The smallest screensize is 800,600. Also, resizing the window messed up the look of it.

It took me about 2 hours to make the first version then an addition 2 hours to update it.

Also, the donations is mainly because I am jobless and making a free program doesn't really help that out. So donations allow me to pay the bills and stuff while I make it.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Aug 31, 2023
can this be used to edit current pokémon also would be nice to show the pokemons sprites

Years
  • Seen Apr 29, 2014
This has been finished as the Pokemon Essentials Toolkit is being developed to make everything easier for all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back